ad: k1jek

2 METER AM NET

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KA9DZR, Feb 20, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA9DZR

KA9DZR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi! My name is Dennis - call is KA9DZR. My QTH is Georgetown, IL.

We have a 2-meter AM NET on 145.600 every night at 8:00 PM CST, using a vertical antenna, with the following radios: Clegg, Heathkit, Gonset, Ameco and Lafayette.

Photo below of my 2-meter station.

Thank you for reading this!

Dennis
    KA9DZR

101_0717.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2021
    WQ4G and KE7KPB like this.
  2. KG7LEA

KG7LEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Why AM? I'm curious and serious.

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Nostalgia.

Gives folks a reason to put some of those great old 2m AM rigs on the air on an ongoing basis.

Don't knock 2m AM until you've tried it.

Dave
    W7UUU

WG7X, WQ4G, W2BBQ and 1 other person like this.
  4. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

And AM has better SNR than FM at weaker signal strengths.

WQ4G, W2BBQ and KG7LEA like this.
  5. KA9DZR

KA9DZR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

when I was abt 14 years old I went over to a ham qth an saw that he had 90ft tower with a 2 meter antenna an a clegg radio the type I don't remember that was back in 62 or 63 he said he had work 38 state on 2 mtr am he also had a globe 300 transmiiter that he use on 80/40 am an cw so when I got my ticket back in 84 I was on 40 mtr I hear a carrier on the high end of 40mtr I came back to that freq., abt one hour later the carrier was still there so I went to am too hear an that's how I got the am bug dennis

6. KG7LEA

Are there any good frequencies I can work for 2m AM?

7. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

My first introduction to ham radio in the early 60s was with Gonset AM radios at our local Civil Defense office. The Gonset G28 for 10 meters, the Gonset G50 for 6 meters and the Gonset IV for 2 meters. Good memories.
    Tom WA4ILH

8. KG7LEA

One of my first push-to-talk experiences as a Civil Air Patrol cadet in the early 60s. Those were AM? The FM equipment we had was all war surplus and that stuff in the yellow boxes were a marvel of simplicity.

9. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

Some of our VHF CD radios were yellow and clearly marked "CD". Civil Air Patrol could have had yellow boxes under the same contract. Just speculating.
    I had a friend (WA4UTS SK) who had an old HF (4 MHz? ) surplus Navy AM transmitter in his shack that had been used on CAP years ago.
    Tom WA4ILH

10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

My first AM experience was with a friends 2M CD Gooney Box in 1956 as a passenger in his car. The rig was on my lap and the 1/4 wave whip on top jammed into the SO-239 right in my face. Needless to say the performance was poor in that old 4 door Dodge.

Carl

11. W2BBQ

W2BBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The 2M AM Net is a great idea. Looking forward to the Cycle Peak years and work AM on 10 Meters again also. 29.100~29.200

12. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd love to join in. But, I don't think I can reach IL on two meters...

WQ4G

13. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Ive talked to IL on 2M from NH on SSB but was running 1500W to a stacked pair 30' boom yagis.....:D:eek: but it was not a daily thing. Also on SSB Aurora to IL and WI.

I do have a Clegg Zeus and Interceptor B for 100W of real D-104 driven AM and have reached up to ~1000 miles on a coastal tropo a few times.

I like your vintage station and have several of those pictured.

Carl
    Ham since 1955

14. W9EEP

W9EEP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi, Dennis, just letting you know I read your post. See you on the net. Clegg 22'er operator here for others, also have a Heathkit Seneca and a Heathkit 2'er.
    73, Randy

15. WB2PMC

WB2PMC Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember borrowing a friends gooney box in 68, right after I was licensed-worked out of a random length dipole. Worked out to about 10 miles but I was on. Back when I was WN2GFE. Rick, WB2PMC.