ad: k1jek

IC-705 on 1/4 wave Vertical, 1 Radial, No Tuner

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE2FGJ, Feb 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. VE2FGJ

VE2FGJ Ham Member QRZ Page

KK4NSF likes this.
  2. KN6IVW

KN6IVW Ham Member QRZ Page

3. N6TDG

N6TDG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You know I am thinking about a second radio for the RV and think that the Icom 7100 would fit the bill. It is relatively inexpensive--a shack in a box--Does 0-100w. Can have fun with SSB VHF/UHF, or the usual FM repeaters in an area. Was thinking about a stick for mono band operation...something like 40m for day or night...but then again, a Wolf River Coil and a stick to get 80-40 and 20 might be the thing to do. I gotta look up the Wolf coils and see if they do 10 and 6 too. Might be a cool set up for being in the RV park. Run the Wolf River Coil off the metal rack in the rear and the 2m/70cm antenna on a musica stand out the front.

Anyone with experience with the 7100?

4. KJ7PRS

KJ7PRS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Wolf River coil. It really likes radials, like 12, or more. It really likes 30! 73 KJ7PRS

5. N6TDG

N6TDG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So with the radials, there is something I learned putting togethe my DX Commander Classic antenna. It too has radials and one can just bundle four or five on a connector, solder the stuff together and now five radials for the price of one. Rinse and repeat. Now the radials don't have to be so long and everything works just fine. Something to consider.

MW1CFN likes this.
  6. WU3U

WU3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With my 705 I use the Chameleon Mil Whip, Mil Whip extension with the radial kit all connected to the Chameleon spike. It goes up and down in minutes and I’ve talked all over the world with that setup.

My second option is the Chameleon telescopic whip and no coil but with 4 ground radios. It’s flat on 20m.

QRP is all about equal amounts of Patience, Timing and your setup.

Curt
    WU3U

KO4ESA, KK4NSF and VE2FGJ like this.
  7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

I use the Yaesu ATAS-25. I’ve been contemplating a WRC TIA for a longer whip but the short ATAS-25 sets up so quickly since setting it up repeatedly and performs well on 20 and 40m I’m wondering if I need anything else. Perhaps the option of adding 80m?

All of my operating today is portable.

KO4ESA and KK4NSF like this.
  8. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done on showing how simple setups can be effective.

I note the trolling by some on 'inefficiency' and all the rest we see daily on this angry site. Ignore them. For one thing, they've probably never tried a 'poor vertical' down at the beach or by some fresh water. That quiclkly shows how utterly inefficient even large antennas are from inland sites. Yes, I have the real-world facts - 8-10dB enhancement typical, 20+dB not unusual. I provide them below, before people start shouting (of course, they will still rubbish it as conflicting with their prejudices)

I suspect that you would find it easier, very hard ice notwithstanding, to use two radials (which balance the whole vertical bit), and the vertical fishing pole stuck into a groundscrew - plastic or, for ice, metal. This works great for me on sand, soil and gravel.
    [​IMG]

KO4ESA, VE2FGJ and KK4NSF like this.
  9. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's the evidence for a long path signal.. upload_2021-2-23_11-26-53.jpeg

KO4ESA likes this.
  10. VE2FGJ

I have a 7100, works well, it can do everything!

KO4ESA likes this.
  11. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a very similar system with a 17ft whip, and a base loading coil (for 40m) on a tripod:
    upload_2021-2-23_8-39-9.png

As you can see, I use more radials.... but they are simply deployed on the ground. More radials will indeed help, but even with one or two it will do a decent job.

I first posted it a few years ago, and was told by quite a few folks that "it won't work" and all sorts of other negative comments.... but hundreds of QSOs later, it seems to be working just fine. (In fact, I talk to the UK quite regularly with it. ) That's why I no longer post antennas here..... too many theoretical nay-sayers, and not enough practial builders.

I really had a good laugh at one of those guys who blasted it... and then a few days later commented on air how good my signal was from coming in across the country. When I told him it was the portable vertical, he got nasty and signed off. :p

W9THC, VK6APZ/SK2022, AB2YC and 6 others like this.
  12. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

This last summer, I did a test using Hamsticks on the same radial-base / tripod. It worked amazingly well on 40 and 20 meters.... but not as good on 80m. I still like my 17ft whip better, but even so I'm not convinced that hamsticks are as inefficient as some folks will tell you when used against a good radial system.

KO4ESA likes this.
  13. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

I can understand some disregarding the simple portable antenna w/ QRP transmitter as it is true that occasionally the reason for the QSO is due to their diligence and antenna installation. I don't understand the belittling of the portable antenna.

MW1CFN, KO4ESA and KK4NSF like this.
  14. KI4POT

KI4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's amateur radio in general, but particularly endemic to QRZ.

I've literally seen people ask for guidance on a portable station and get all sorts of responses detailing an ideal fixed station or antenna (ideal in that it wouldn't work for most people who live among other humans).

Chris

MW1CFN, KO4ESA and KK4NSF like this.
  15. VE2FGJ

KK4NSF, Great setup! Since the radials are "partially" elevated on your tripod, did you find that their length is important for optimal tuning between let say 20M and 40M?
    As I understand the theory, if the radials are elevated, their length are significant while if sitting on the ground much less.
    Your comments?

KO4ESA and KK4NSF like this.