ad: CQMM-1

Space Weather News 02/14/2021

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KR2W, Feb 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KR2W

KR2W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

M1WML, KG4BFR, KP4JM and 6 others like this.
  2. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Still waiting for the spots to come back. The great ham artist Phil Gildersleeve put it best:

upload_2021-2-16_15-2-51.png

M1WML, K6RWM, KC5YSQ and 1 other person like this.
  3. KR2W

KR2W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, it's going to take time. We have to remember it is an 11 year cycle and we're just now starting the upswing.

M1WML and K9GLS like this.
  4. KG3I

KG3I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Instead of watching the clusters folks need to start calling "CQ" again. Who knows what you may work?

NJ1S, M1WML, K6RWM and 8 others like this.
  5. 2E0RLR

2E0RLR QRZ Lifetime Member #563 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

M1WML likes this.
  6. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

DJOAJ ekrem vy73 sincerely

M1WML likes this.
  7. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

HALLO dr thamitha amazing greeting vy73 DJOAJ ekrem

M1WML likes this.
  8. W9VTT

W9VTT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

fiction

M1WML likes this.
  9. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The concern is from hundreds of years of data is the slower the upswing typically the weaker the cycle. After a great start near the end of last year, we are now very slow with so many long stretches of zero sunspots which might indicate a weak cycle 25.

At least solar flux mostly stays in the low 70s which is marginal but somewhat workable on SSB, with occasional drops to 69 or below the last few days. We were lucky to have a Speriodic E opening on 10m in the height of the 10-10 contest a few weeks ago. I made lots of strong 10 meter contacts.

Predictions are all over the map from weak to normal to great. With all the monitoring equipment we have of solar winds, proton levels, flux, pictures from SOHO, and from STEREO-A satellite that now partially shows the backside to see what might be coming into earth target, we still have no way of predicting the cycle with any accuracy. Sadly we lost transmission from STEREO-B a few years ago which was also provided close-up sun views.

M1WML likes this.
  10. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed! A couple of weeks ago I managed a solid contact from Souther California to France during a SOTA outing. With 5 watts into a random wire. I have had some other DX contacts during SOTA as well. Its makes me wonder where all the hams are at other times. It seems like a lot of people don't get on the air unless there is a contest of some sort.

M1WML likes this.
  11. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

nice report, how about a dx epedtion to mars? ANYONE?

M1WML and AJ6KZ like this.
  12. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Her just over two hour watching the Mars landing and her as usual great commentary was very interesting. Was private only to her Patreon members - costs $7/month for her private stuff which I find very worthwhile. She also has a father she talks about with COVID in hospital in Phoenix but she told everyone just got off a ventilator. She has been keeping up her reports even with personal concerns

M1WML, KR2W and AJ6KZ like this.
  13. W5HV

W5HV Ham Member QRZ Page

Another great post thankyou very much Robert W5hv

M1WML likes this.
  14. AA8GK

AA8GK Ham Member QRZ Page

You're the best, Dr. Tamitha!!!!! 73! Pete

M1WML likes this.
  15. KD0CQJ

KD0CQJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed...I am esconced in Japan (JJ1INK) and I am patiently waiting for the bands to further open up again.....still trying..
    I sometimes wonder if we are cycling down towards another Maunder minimum which was cyclically preceded by the Oort, Wolf, and Sporer minimums. It is something we have little control over so KG3I's advice and recommendation is well taken.