ad: elecraft

ARRL Proposal to Give Technicians More Operating Privileges

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Apr 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. NJ1S

NJ1S Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know about. maybe. maybe not

2. NJ1S

NJ1S Ham Member QRZ Page

Being a Amateur radio operator is a privilege. You earn your privilege by studying your tests and passing your exam along with a small fee. Being a respectful ham is not something we should all aspire to be! Following the DX CODE OF CONDUCT IS A MUST! YET I AM ALWAYS ON HF HEARING PEOPLE BEING AS RUDE AS THEY ARE AND ALWAYS INTERRUPTING EACH OTHER OVER A DX CONTACT. IT WAS NEVER LIKE THIS BEFORE. I WILL SAY ONE THING W0IJJ IS SORT OF RIGHT ABOUT. THEY SHOULD ADD THE NOVICE TEST BACK ON THE ROSTER SO THAT WHEN PEOPLE STUDY FOR THEIR TECH LICENSE THEY HAVE A BETTER UNDERSTAND OF THE HOBBY. ON THE OTHER HAND THE FCC IS MAKING THE FEE ISSUE A BIGGER DEAL WHEN THEY NEED TO LEAVE THINGS ALONE! 73'S DE NJ1S
    ~Never stop learning...

3. K0NH

K0NH Ham Member QRZ Page

4. K0NH

K0NH Ham Member QRZ Page

that is the most sense of a test I have ever heard

5. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K7JEM likes this.
  6. K0NH

K0NH Ham Member QRZ Page

I never said that, I was stating how normally 10 codes and q codes usually aren't used, q codes are normally only used on HF or in CW, breaker codes are allowed but around the community, since many hams despise CB and breaker codes are commonly used there its recommended that they are not used in ham radio. 10 codes are usually never used in ham radio its not aginst rules but again similar to cb 10 codes are usually used on cb and frs/gmrs which many hams despise

7. K0NH

K0NH Ham Member QRZ Page

yes I breaker codes are allowed I said that to inspire you not to use them

8. KD2MIC

KD2MIC Ham Member QRZ Page

A "true ham"? Please, expand on this term as it appears narrow sighted. As previously noted by others, I passed my requirements
    There's not many hobbies in which a license is required, but keep that in mind, it's a hobby. A hobby, in of itself, allows you to progress as far as you want to. If hobbiests are going to complain about how watered down the tests are for a dying hobby they need to stop complaining about how much the hobby is dying.
    As skills go, most hams that choose to do ecomms are part of an organization which can have any requirements they wish. The "hobby" is just a foot in the proverbial door in this case. If that org wants to mandate license class or skills, so be it.
    And why are you living in the past? Requirements for things change all the time. CW is a good thing to know? Why? Should we all study and be proficient in semaphore if we own a boat? Don't misunderstand me, CW has it's place in some cases (mostly personal preference), but you are in a multi-facetted and every changing hobby.

K7JEM and G8FXC like this.
  9. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do many hams despise FRS or GMRS? I know of plenty of hams here that also use the British equivalent PMR446. I have a full amateur radio licence, but the other members of my family do not - we use PMR446 to keep in touch when out walking, sailing or driving in convoy. The alternative would be for my family member to operate as pirates on the ham bands - which, I assume, you would disapprove of. Do you also despise commercial two-way radio?

Martin (G8FXC)

10. K0NH

K0NH Ham Member QRZ Page

I personally don't dislike CB, FRS, or GMRS but many other hams may hate it, some may love it in the US until you replied I didn't even know what pmr was as its never used in the US I did some research on those radios and there not bad for portable comms but my advice to you is to not express opinions when asked about gmrs, frs, or cb,

11. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

RE: "Real ham".

Which one is the "real" donut?

7c72857841d8e8ab990565e990bec464.jpg

KF5KWO likes this.
  12. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You most certainly did say that! You said, "Breaker codes arent allowed 10 codes can be used if they . . ."
    You will continue to be corrected here if you keep making stuff up.

13. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I still need someone to explain "breaker codes" to me.

K8XG likes this.
  14. K0NH

K0NH Ham Member QRZ Page

"yes I breaker codes are allowed I said that to inspire you not to use them"

Attached Files:

15. K0NH

K0NH Ham Member QRZ Page

A "true" ham I never said "real