ad: Radclub22-1

ARRL Proposal to Give Technicians More Operating Privileges

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Apr 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Folks I have mentored didn't even need any books. Just use the QRZ practice tests, and learn why each wrong answer is wrong till you get it right. Take that test 3 times a day for 3 or 4 days a week and in 2 weeks you can pass the Tech and General.

And if you want a book, these PDF files are free!
    http://ham-class.com/2007GeneralStudyGuide.pdf

By Dan, KB6NU produces them for free. If you want a real book, he has them on Amazon for ~$14

K0GOV likes this.
  2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

PHD

3. K0GOV

K0GOV Ham Member QRZ Page

fa5f61a8-225c-4daa-ba6c-e5368227e442_1.jpg

All you need is this book and a desire for knowledge. I read through it one time and I've been ripping through passing practice exams ever since (a couple weeks) without even really committing a lot of new info to memory yet.

AG5DB and K8XG like this.
  4. K8XG

^ While I update my ARRL membership for 3 years each time, I do not like their license manuals; never did. The W5YI books were much better in my day of using them for Extra and I send them as gifts to folks looking to upgrade to Extra and I have had an FCC Radio Telephone [needed for alignment and repair of commercial radios] permit back in 1980.

The free PDFs KB6NU is doing are almost as good as the W5YI groups books.

K0GOV likes this.
  5. KD0QG

KD0QG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For what it is worth either way,... If CW and Novice license was no longer required when I when I got my ticket around the very last of the 70's that I probably would still be a lifetime Novice? Teck today... I was a route driver and I desired the use of the 2 meter repeaters for extended communication plus safety and survival and it very well served that purpose on the routes plus I became friends with many along the routes. .. But because I had the CW HF experience threw communication on the Novice bands I acquired the desire to go on. Several years later I got the chance to make the 30 mile trip to the FCC testing event in spring of 1984 and went from Novice/Teck to Advanced .. By then I had no trouble copying the 20 wpm code but misted out on the Extra.. Hey.. That was good enough for me and I set the key on the shelf and haven't been on the air on CW since..

K8XG likes this.
  6. K8XG

^ I like your trip via radio.. But no reason to put the key on the Shelf...I do cw still as it is still the easiest way to make contacts with no computer and bad band conditions.. I do mostly digital and even with only a RasberryPi for a computer... but CW only needs your ear and a key...

KD0QG likes this.
  7. KD0QG

Oh I may try again and can still recognize most of it but be a while before I would be ready to go on the air. .. When I was younger my boss was a world war fighter pilot that had been shot down and he would always tell me that you will never actually forget it. I guess he was right? ...I had got ahold of a Galaxy V while I was still a Teck and mounted on a speaker box between the seats with a 40 meter coil on the truck mirror bracket and my boss really got a big kick out of it. Sometimes he would just be leaving when I got in and we would message back and forth on our vehicle horns. Boy I bet some people wondered what the heck was going on? I guess I always tried to make it as fun as I could.. Lotta fun. Lotta memories.. And too many miles?

8. KD0QG

.. I think their idea was that tecks would really keep 10 alive. but the days of it coming on the sun and being there until dark are gone now? I know in this area CB channel 19 is deader than 52 around here. but when I start hearing activity on it or 38 I realize that 10 is open. But you can then hear the beacons on 10 but no answer on anything. same on 12.. I used to have an HR 2510 on the truck and you could work all the DX you could stand back them. 10 was the best and funest band when it is alive. But the deadest when it is dead?

9. W4AUT

W4AUT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What I'm reading in this forum, is more of the same, give me privilege's that I do not have work for (effort). Oh well, it is sad to watch the decline in this Hobby! This is a reflection in society in general.

KD0QG and K4YPS like this.
  10. KD0QG

Oh sometimes I listen across the band while doing other things at night and can still recognize and copy some signals. But I would have to practice up before I could really get into it. who knows, I may try it again someday

K8XG likes this.
  11. K0NH

K0NH Ham Member QRZ Page

So yesterday I talked to a friend of mine who has had his license since 1983 and I feel like ever since the morse code requirement was removed that people who get there tech licence a truly not hams and adding even more privileges to a license which requires almost no effort compared to back in the 90's is just disrespectful for the hams who have been what they are since then, this idea in my opinion is idiotic.

12. K0NH

K0NH Ham Member QRZ Page

though I'm young there is finally someone who understands, thank you

13. PD0JBV

PD0JBV Guest

Morse code is not a guarantee for attitude or behavior ...

NJ1S, W9FL, AG5DB and 1 other person like this.
  14. KE8QEP

KE8QEP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I'm not a real ham since I didn't have to learn CW to get a technician class license.

15. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Trying to decipher what you have written. Which idea is idiotic? The idea that some hams think others are not "real hams" or the idea that techs should be granted new privileges?

KD0QG likes this.