ad: MLSons-1

Summits on the Air CW Exchanges Explained

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NJ7V, Feb 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. NJ7V

NJ7V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The great Mountaineer Mark Twight said “it doesn’t have to be fun to be fun” (K6ARK put me on to that quote). Portable ops in the snow presents many challenges but that’s why we do it isn’t it? The fun is in the challenge. Watch as I hike to the top of Beacon Hill in 18-24 inches of snow. The temperature starting out was 9 degrees Fahrenheit. Once on top, I talk about the Morse code exchanges for Summits on the Air. I hope you enjoy the adventure!

SM6WWK, W4KRN, WB8ERJ and 23 others like this.
  2. W7JET

W7JET Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For those of us who prefer digital can we get this changed into a psk 31 or JS8 Call format

3. NJ7V

Analog Baby! Yeet!

KB1LID, W2NGX, PY2NEA and 5 others like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Beacon Hill? Winter?

;-)

[​IMG]

KC1MIJ, KN4VJA and WA1LAD like this.
  5. NJ7V

Haha - yeah it's all relative isn't it. Sorry there's no sonoran desert for you to escape to like we have here.

W0PV, K9EZ and W1YW like this.
  6. W7MDN

W7MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

What's the 'EE' at the end of the QSO? End end?

Also what paddle are you using for SOTA? Looks tiny.

7. K9EZ

K9EZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

DIT DIT.... kind of a friendly good bye. Also you may hear 72 as opposed to 73 as most are running QRP. Lower power lower greetings or something LOL.

SOTA ON!!!! Its a BLAST. And for those that are not on CW, NO ONE ever regretted learning CW! If you are slow the SOTA people will be slow too. Great way to learn!

K9EZ

WB7QDR, AG6QR and W9MRH like this.
  8. K9EZ

K9EZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Or the Great Smokey Mountains like we have! :-D

NJ7V likes this.
  9. WB6FQZ

WB6FQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If it's raining it's training if it's sun it's fun.........

AJ6KZ, K7RLN and NJ7V like this.
  10. NJ7V

Hi Matt - I'm glad you asked. I didn't have time to go over the real meaning of EE in the video and hoped somebody might ask.
    K9EZ form above is pretty right on but I copied this explanation off of DitDit.fm, which is good too.
    "At the very end of a CW contact you may hear the two stations sending dits at each other, this derives from the old expression, "shave and a haircut, two bits". It sounds like dit dit-dit dit dit, dit-dit. The first station will send the dit dit-dit dit dit and wait for the second station to send dit-dit in return. This was more popular on CW years ago, but you will still hear it today. A lot of times it will be shortened by just sending the final dit-dit, as in "73 K9IEK de N9WKE SK dit-dit"."

Also, the paddle I'm using is no longer in production and it's extremely rare to find for sale used. It's called the Palm Pico or Pico Paddle from Palm Radio http://www.morseexpress.com/palm/ppaddles.htm
    Thanks for asking!

AJ6KZ and KN4EQG like this.
  11. NJ7V

HA! I like it.

N7KO likes this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Dit...di di dit dit..... dit dit!

'Shave and a haircut... 2 bits' :)

N7KO and NJ7V like this.
  13. N4PHL

N4PHL Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video. What is ant on the handheld?
    Thanks
    N4PHL

NJ7V likes this.
  14. NJ7V

Hi Ronnie - I purchased that antenna 4 years ago for $12 on Aliexpress and have never found the exact antenna again. The closest I can find is the MFJ-1713 Dual Band Antenna with BNC. It is a dual band antenna with a 5.5" radiator. Almost everything out there is 8" more or less. Thanks for watching!

KC5HWB likes this.
  15. W4BTH

W4BTH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's an excellent video! Great contacts & beautiful countryside. Thanks for posting.

NJ7V likes this.