ad: Flexradio-1

Its final - amateur service license fees are coming...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN3W, Dec 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W5CMP

W5CMP Ham Member QRZ Page

Lets see $35.00 for 10 years comes out to be $3.50 a year, I can live with that. We are living in a pay to play era, Sounds kind of like use it or lose it theme. Maybe it will detour selling off our spectrum.

K0UO likes this.
  2. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

I was merely pointing out that 35 bucks ain't so bad, without regard to the difference in service.

3. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

Where else or hobby can one have this much fun, science, technology,education and make a friends and social distance for LESS than a penny a day. Dig around in your crouch, cash in those beer cans and bottles. I bet most will have the $35 buck in a week or two.

Don't see what the big stink is. For the fees, It would be nice if the white G man van would would make a few cold calls with the DF gear, WA6VVC

K1CWB likes this.
  4. K7TMF

K7TMF Ham Member QRZ Page

"We estimated labor cost per hour for the various general schedule pay grades of the employees that process applications based on the 2020 federal government pay table for Washington DC, at the step 5 level, as we currently do under our Freedom Of Information Act rules.16 We estimated the cost of personnel benefits at 20% of the salary level also per that rule, and we assumed that each employee works 2,087 hours in one year. We also rounded each fee to the nearest $5 increment, as required by section 8.17 After careful analysis, we find these cost estimates are a reasonable"

I have to wonder if The Commission was based in say Cheyenne, WY... would the costs be different?

5. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Alas, the career political appointees at the FCC need to be in DC so that they can pivot to their next job (usually lobbying or lawyering for the big telecom or cable companies) without relocating.

6. N9LYA

N9LYA Ham Member QRZ Page

at $0.0096 Per day.... I can deal with I just fine. Bring it on... :)

7. W1JTS

W1JTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Like everything else "nothing is free" a bargain for sure

8. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This thread been going on and on too.oooo long.

Just
    Pay up and shut up

9. KB4MC

KB4MC Ham Member QRZ Page

Shhhh...somebody will get an idea!

K9CTB likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just as an update: the unemployment rate in December went up substantially, and the GDP growth was DOWN for the last quarter of 2020.

Just to reminder you--I am quoting the passage of your post for which I am providing a response. I see no reason to quote your entire post in order to respond to one part of it. I am sorry if you are unhappy with that, but that is not a convention I concocted, nor one that is out of line with discussions among people. .

Regards.

11. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

I use scotch to clean my white walls.

12. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would anyone care about "cleaning up inactive ham licenses"? Are they in your way?

AD5IN likes this.
  13. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Not in the way, but it would give more accurate numbers of how many hams are active, I suppose.

14. AD5IN

AD5IN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham radio is a dying hobby. This is just one more nail in it's coffin. It's hard enough to get people interested, now they have to pay $35 to get a license? Good luck with getting newcomers to join. The whole incentive licensing program was supposed to make it easier to keep amateur radio going. It's obvious the government and everyone else is looking at our frequencies and they are not thinking we have any intrinsic value.

15. AD5IN

AD5IN Ham Member QRZ Page

If not for the ARRL ham radio wouldn't exist at all.