ad: AbAuRe-1

$12 Ham Radio Power Supply

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB1THM, Apr 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K2DJ

K2DJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you compare it with another power supply or battery?

2. WD0BIA

WD0BIA Ham Member QRZ Page

So what do you say when useing power poles
    I just use banana plugs and binding posts. Cheap and works great. No special crimper needed.

3. VE3GCX

VE3GCX Ham Member QRZ Page

What ever you feel comfortable with. Most 5 way bindin posts and Banana plugs I have seen usually top out at a rating of 10-15 amps.
    Andereson power poles depending on the contacts selected are 15, 30, of 45 amps.
    Before scoring deal on Powerpole crimpers branded West mountain radio at a garage sale of all places, I would carefully solder the wire into the contact, no crimp.
    the other advantages of Powerpoles is the ability to polarize the connector.
    Disadvantage the cost.

4. AE6XO

AE6XO Ham Member QRZ Page

When I checked the RFI on HF, I compared the HP power supply to another power supply.

5. KB1THM

KB1THM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok so I've received a slew of emails so far from people saying they did this project and it didn't work the first time and that they actually had the same model PS turn on by bridging different pins, and without a resistor. It seems even though they use the same model PS, there are different variations that use different pins to turn them on. So I'll post some of the replies I've received by email so far so that hopefully you can get yours up and running.

Please note, HSTNS PL11 and similar.
    I have read on the internet, here and other forums, some of you are having Trouble getting the HP server supplies to start. Some are connecting pad 33 to pad 36 with a resistor and some with jumper wire and one I read said that 4 supplies needed a delay circuit to get it to start. I just finished start up on a HSTNS PL11. Here is some info that may be of use. Pad 33 PSON (power supply on). This pad is connected to 3.3v internal supply via a pull up resistor and should be connected to Pad 30 (12v GND/Return). Yes, Low=On. Pad 36 PRES (supply present). This tells the supply that it is present in the back plane (plugged into the server) and ok to start. This pad is low and needs a 21k pull up resistor connected to the +12VSB (+12v stand by supply) Pad 37. Note, the pull up resistor is needed to limit current, there is a zener diode in the circuit. DO NOT use a jumper. Yes 22k is close enough. So if you connect pad 33 to pad 36, there will be a tug of war between the inputs. These are logic gates, one should be high and one should be low. Trying to use one against the other, well, I'm amazed it ever works.
    > 73 K4ECA, Bob

Hi Brandon-I disconnected the 680 ohm resistor and jumped 33 and 36
    and it now works.Light is on and getting12.8v.Do you know how to
    increase the output to 13.8v?Saw some videos but for a different HP
    supply and the boards are different.Thanks and 73...Louis

Discovered on this one (I have to just tap 3,4 tabs together
    And it turns on the PS. Yours did not as seen from Video.

6. KC2KOJ

KC2KOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What method did you use to change the over volt protection and when does in kick in on your unit now

7. N9BSV

N9BSV Ham Member QRZ Page

Where is there room to mount a switch can you show us what and where you mounted a switch???

8. KD8SEZ

KD8SEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for posting this. I ordered a pair off of eBay. They sent me two different types. I got one HSTNS-PD18 and one HSTNS-PL18. I found the PD-18 to be easier to do than bypassing that surface mount resistor. They both work and can put out 13.8V. Thanks again for sharing.

9. KC5YGS

KC5YGS Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't intend to start a 12v/14v debate. I'll only add my experience. This can also be done with most computer power supplies. I used a pretty standard PS, about 70 amps on the 12v side. Be advised, these supplies output quite nearly 12v and not 13.8. I didn't think it would make that much difference. I used it on my Kenwood TM-D700. SWR fine (@1.1-1,2 on 2M). but screen dimmed, power was lower than setting called for and I measured voltage drop when TXing. Thought it was my aged D700 for a long time and lived with it. Eventually found a cheap ($20) Astron supply (20 amps out) and hooked up my old D700. Same setup but now no more screen dimming and output at defined level. I am NOT sure it is a voltage issue. Just be aware of my experiences.

Sincerely, Aaron, KC5YGS

10. KD8SEZ

KD8SEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you modify the power supply to put out 13.8v?

Looks like that’s what the majority of this thread is all about. ‍♂️

11. KE8DUG

KE8DUG Ham Member QRZ Page

K4ECA, Bob,

Thank you for the info. New to HAM, just got license a few weeks ago. I have been looking for a power supply and I just picked up the PL11. So this info is very timely.

Do you have other information about converting this supply? I’ll be running an IC2730 so I hope the standard voltage or at least turning the pot up to 12.7v will be sufficient. Any info, help, tips, hacks for this power supply would be greatly appreciated.

KE8DUG, 73
    Doug

12. KB1THM

KB1THM Ham Member QRZ Page

Should run that radio no problem without even messing with the voltage. I have mine running my yaesu 2900 and sometimes my yaesu 891 no prob full power.

13. KE8DUG

KE8DUG Ham Member QRZ Page

fantastic. Thanks.

14. M7MCY

M7MCY Ham Member QRZ Page

HSTNS-PL28 Does anyone have knowledge about the voltage adjustment for this power supply?

I couldn't find anything specific to this model online and the control PCB looks quite different to the many videos I have seen regarding adding or removing resistors for the other various models. There are only 2 potentiometers and the one to the right only gives minimal adjustment up to about 12.32v.

Any advice or pointing to other resources much appreciated! This PSU seems to be made by LiteON and original p/n is PS-2461-7C-LF
    Thanks Mark

[​IMG] upload_2021-11-14_16-35-45.jpeg

15. OZ2HJO

OZ2HJO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have a similar print and looking for diagram to raise voltage - OZ2HJO