ad: TinyPaddle-1

Ham Nation - Updating Your Shack & How To Run Ham Sticks

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6NAZ, Jan 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

LOL! They sure can win....they can go back to their roots, you know back when they didn't beg for subs and patreon money and reviewed things they actually purchased, used and owned.

But I digress, there are still individual operators out there that are producing good content that don't monetize the hobby or ask for dime. But you wouldn't know about them, because they are not posting on here looking for subs or views and what not.

So, lets call what it is....

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    N3FAA likes this.
  3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Know what I hate? Those authors who write books and have the temerity to charge for them!

Chris

WW2PT, W9MRH, KD5BVX and 1 other person like this.
  4. KE0GXN

Like I said...let’s call it what is then.

5. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Right. That bar of gold...

And while you speak negatively of those montezing a hobby, tell me more about your XML subscription. There are other websites that do not ask for money for the same service. Just like some YouTubers you mentioned. But nobody talks about them here. ;)

KD5BVX likes this.
  6. KE0GXN

A choice I made that gives me a tangible benefit I felt I needed and the thing is....the Zed never asked or begged me to subscribe or give them any money whenever I have logged in on here. Did they ask you? Has anyone on here ever asked you for a dime during the course of viewing or participating on this site?

N3FAA likes this.
  7. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You also have the choice to not watch the show.

You also gave the choice to not complain about it on here since you don’t like the show.

Since it has changed to a new home I think it’s only fair to give it a chance. But we all can make the choice to ignore it.

If you watch TV you pay for the service and still see commercials/ads. With HN you watch for free. Enough said.

W9MRH, N4GST and KK9W like this.
  8. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

A choice you made. Just like the choices you make to not offer better content than what you watch, dislike and voice your opinion on. And monitizing is monitizing. To make money from something, solicited or not.

I'm not complaining here. You are just validating all the things I have pointed out about the mass judgment and complaining about anything and everything not being good enough and nit-picked to death here on the Zed.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    KD5BVX likes this.
  9. KE0GXN

I get it man, we are all a bunch of curmudgeons on here...I am sure besides the $35 bucks Uncle Sam will soon be collecting from us...this place is the next thing that will doom ham radio. :eek:

Anyhow, my thing is, if you are going to monetize/profit off of something or as you say...”To make money, solicited or not”.....as a content creator just be upfront about it. I tried engaging with the subject of this thread on here before and to his credit, he made a couple of very insightful and candid comments, but when pressed on the subject we are speaking on now....all of the sudden....crickets.

If I had the time or thought it would be worth it, I would dig up the video Bob ranted on HN awhile back about this very topic. Makes me wonder why he left after the switch....:oops:

Oh well, nothing is worth getting in a tizzy about regarding this hobby or anything that is posted on here OM. I’ll hobby on as I suspect you will as well....I guess we can respectfully agree to disagree.....good to meet you and thanks for the conversation. 73

P.S. I trained with some gold chevron folks back in the day when to be a master-at-arms you had to have gold stripes...good dudes...carried those big Colt .45s...always got a kick when they pulled out those beasts and racked a round in the chamber. Navy did not carry with a round in chamber like we did. ;)

KK9W likes this.
  10. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

No harm, nor foul or grudges held my man.

We carried one chambered in my time but we carried Beretta 92s. My guess they carried in condition 2 with the 1911s in order to prevent negligent discharges by Sailor Timmy carrying cocked and locked or when attempting to gently lower the hammer with one in the pipe. Loose lead in a metal box called a ship is baaaaaaad Ju-Ju.

KE0GXN likes this.
  11. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, maybe that's true, but he doesn't owe any explanation to anyone. I would have ignored it, as well, as that's not any of our business at all.

As far as the show and Bob leaving, my guess is that the show leaving Twit has to do with Bob leaving the show...not that he decided not to follow the show to the new home. But...it's just Bob so, oh well. Perhaps he just got tired of being tied to it almost weekly. But that is only my guess as this is something else that isn't really our business to know the details, though we can speculate.

12. KE0GXN

Right on.

Yeah, this would have been in 1995 at Lackland AFB in San Antonio. The Navy trained all MAs at our police academy, but used Navy instructors and were trained separate from us. We carried Beretta 92s at the time. You guys carried the 1911s no round in the chamber like the Army MPs did back then too.

One day I got to witness the MAs training on building clearing and that’s when I saw them racking rounds into the chamber before they entered the buildings. It was explained to me that the Navy ay the time and the Army as well considered the chambering of a round a pre-condition to the use of deadly force and therefore did not ever chamber a round unless they believed the use of deadly force was a highly probable, etc..

As AF Security Policeman we trained to carry our pistols with a round in the chamber and off safe at all times when performing LE duties.

13. KE0GXN

Yeah, I agree and that’s why I thanked him and politely informed him his engagement in here would be appreciated. Your right he does not owe me $H1t. But I call it like I see it and rightfully this place allows for that, which makes it unpopular for those who sensitivities are easily offended, which I guess makes this place not well liked by some, hence the remarks about the Zed from some well known tubers. Oh well...

Is what it is with Bob. If you watched HN long enough, you knew were he stood on the subject at hand. And of course George jumped ship too, so...:confused:

Most good internet forums are just that, a place for people to speculate and express opinions about this that and the other. If I wanted to be moderated or coddled to deaf I would just stick to posting in the various ham FB groups....no thanks.

14. N4GST

N4GST Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like you fellas are getting a bit of subject, but i guess that's to be expected.
    73 W7GST

15. KA3QOT

KA3QOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Have to say I won't miss Bob. I really tired of his shilling for his company: talking from his company warehouse, bragging about his company's new products, etc.