ad: MLSons-1

SOTA Fail? W9/WI-009

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD9LFZ, Jan 7, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very True!

WD4ELG likes this.
  2. KK6YO

KK6YO Ham Member QRZ Page

3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

That's within my comfort level of mountaineering, and in about 2003, my wife and I did an activation for the apparently now defunct Adventure Radio Society Top of the World Program. We made several QSOs from there. It was still privately owned at the time, so I got a chance to meet owner Merril Sterler. It's now owned by the county and nicely developed, with a campground just downhill by the highway.

K0DD likes this.
  4. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes its a pretty nice place, and way too easy on mountaineering that's why I "giggled". That video was pretty decent about the site. We live 25 miles west so its a causal 30 min drive for The Hubby and I. It's only a rise in elevation of 282 feet from here. Pretty easy climb. ;)

I've done Show Shoeing in Wisconsin. It was interesting, I've also done a fair amount of cross country skiing... Snowmobiling, Off road JEEPING and Hiking. A fair amount of mountainish hiking... A Ham Friend took me up Harney Peak in the Black Hills the first time and I was hooked July 1993...

Anyway, When I was maybe a year or two older than these gals we used to drive with Girlfriends to Apple River in Summerset. We'd wilderness camp for the weekend with a bonfire and a bottle... Tube during the day etc. Had a wonderful time over the summers of 72 and 73...before heading to college that Fall. I wouldn't think I'd do such a thing today without THE BEEF. We stopped the wilderness camping after the "Gitchie Girl" incident in November 73. I live only 22 miles from the Gitchie Manitou preserve. There's sickos everywhere. :eek:

5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Great effort!

Sometimes I miss those many quiet blizzard days from my prior life in MN.

Hey, if you don't already have plans, why not make an appearance for Winter Field Day?

Perhaps just crash in and document the operation that WØIS is planning nearby across the river at the beautiful William O'Brien state park. Sounds like he has a comfy idea.

See his post over on the Zed News WFD thread.

73, John, WØPV

K7DIP and W1YW like this.
  6. AA6PC

AA6PC Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think I would have gotten as far as you did. All that snow is pretty, but it can be miserable! I'm sure you know the score, living in Wisconsin. I think I would take a St. Bernard and a sled he could pull. J.R.

W1YW likes this.
  7. KD8WU

KD8WU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's POP here in Michigan, too. Then you get states like 10C, everything is COKE.

K9GLS likes this.
  8. DL4TG

DL4TG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't worry about this... next Time will be better ;) but..... you have Chocolate :D:D:D

9. K9EZ

K9EZ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Cripes sake yose Wisco guys! Aina hey! Don cha know dat da Rib Mountain is an easy SOTA.

Lader down da log

Ex Cheeshead and Yooper, and SOTA Chaser and activator
    K9EZ

10. KC9QBY

KC9QBY QRZ Member QRZ Page

Ya hey, it snows here over by where da granite pokes up thru da pastures. How ‘bout dem Packers, don’t cha know?

Well done ladies. Valiant by youse guys.

11. KB9OAK

KB9OAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hoping to set up and make some contacts from my place north of Tomahawk soon.

12. N3IOE

N3IOE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fail or not you two young ladies videos are always entertaining and bring a smile to my face. Glad to see chocolate saved the day!

AA8GK likes this.
  13. KB9OAK

KB9OAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Need snowshoes or a snow machine.

14. AA8GK

AA8GK Ham Member QRZ Page

LOVE IT!!!! Great job, guys!!!!

15. AA8GK

AA8GK Ham Member QRZ Page

Chocolate makes everything better!

KA0USE likes this.