ad: wmr-1

SEA-PAC Amateur Radio Convention 2021 now cancelled

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W7UUU, Jan 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Uh huh, whatever.....

K0PJM and W0PV like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Folks please remember: This is an article in "Amateur Radio News". There are plenty of threads in other forums for debating Covid issues.

The purpose of this article was to make folks in the region aware that SEA-PAC has been cancelled.

Dave
    W7UUU

K0PJM, K3RW, KI7HSB and 1 other person like this.
  3. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I went to Rickreall in February and Mic and Key in March last year. Even without any restrictions in place at that point both events were way down in attendance compared to previous years. There were many empty tables at Mic and Key as vendors canceled and the crowds were much smaller.

A few ham clubs near me did parking lot bed-of-your-truck swap meets later in the year.

4. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

@W7UUU And everyone concerned: the Mike & Key ham fest for 2021 has also been canceled, according to their website.

I think that this will be pretty much settled by mid 2021, early 2022 at the latest.

5. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not to be argumentative but the title of this thread tells readers all they need to know. CANCELLED. The comments neither add to nor delete from the purpose of the article as the title accomplished it all. I am not insensitive to the COVID issue having a daughter and two grandchildren along with 4 others that I know contract it. They all recovered, no hospitalization needed. What I am sensitive to, and being a resident of Oregon where Sea-Pac is held, is the admitted exaggeration of COVID cases in this state and the draconian edicts of the Governor who is killing child development through forced school closures (even though there are absolutely minimal COVID issues with school aged children); and the absolutely destructive effect her edicts are having on small business owners.

Sea-Pac is held in Seaside, OR in Clatsop County. That county has had, to date, 607 positive COVID tests and 3 COVID deaths in the entire county since the beginning of this virus 10 months ago. Hardly a huge risk. The convention could have been held with social distancing requirements, mandatory mask wearing, etc. But, no let's just stand by and let one more positive activity be shut down when the threat doesn't justify it.

W7RY and KA2FIR like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Frankly,

MO--

I don't see how this is of interest here.

'Cancellation' is the news. That's it. This likely happened because VENDORS have not expressed sufficient willingness to commit for June 2021. That was up to them, no matter what their views are on COVID.

We --your fellow Zedders --understand your background, and its an important and valuable perspective. But cancellation was likely due to economics, not process (or rather by dysfunction within that process).

There is plenty of incompetence floating around. We need no convincing:) But just be aware that Grafton County NH is home to somewhat extreme views in the direction of your general compass (and has amongst the lowest COVID rates), and even we wear masks and have draconian measures here in the deep dark woods! :)

Stay well. Find what makes life a bit upbeat in these tough times. My advise--you are welcome to invoke your own.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    K0PJM likes this.
  7. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a drag... I always look forward to Mike and Key. But I cannot say that I'm surprised.
    Next year may be better, but next year won't be as easy for me. I retired recently and by the time next year rolls around, I will have moved back to my home state of Idaho. Not unthinkable to come back, but it won't be nearly as easy. Wish there were cool ham swap fests in Idaho...

8. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Why are some of these organizations cancelling now? couldn't they wait till after the vaccines are out and most everyone gets vaccinated and then watch the numbers and THEN decide if they need to cancel. At my hotel,i'm waiting on just that and as it stands now, we are going to have a busy summer. projected numbers in business at the hotel and golf course say end of May is when things will pick up and June through next December is the next busy season. I just think cancelling is kinda premature. it may not sound like your not counting your chickens before they hatch, but really cancel now?

9. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

In Arizona thats how most are. So really its already social distancing and outside. But i dont think it makes alot of difference

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Because many vendors have to reserve spots many quarters ahead and budget internally many quarters ahead. Among other reasons.

BTW, I am of the same opinion: there is a huge pent up demand for larger social activities. When it hits--Summer?-- it will be like the pool scene in Caddy Shack:)

Chip W1YW

KA1BSZ likes this.
  11. KI7HSB

One possibility is too many commercial vendors have already pulled out. The cost to the organizers to lease the building for the event is largely covered by the commercial vendors, who pay a higher price to the organizers than the private individual private booths. If too many commercial vendors pull out, the organizers cannot afford to lease the building and it's all over but the crying.

But more likely, the organizers were rebuffed to lease the building this year in the first place due to covid. The pavilion at Puyallup fairgrounds is government owned and as we all know, they are 100% into the whole 'shut everything down" mentality right now.

KA1BSZ and W1YW like this.
  12. KI7HSB

I bet it's nice to live in a place where you can count on the weather being more accommodating. If you're never lived here, in the PS, you can count on rain from Oct-May. May-Oct is iffy too...

W1YW likes this.
  13. W7RY

W7RY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No worse than the flu. Remember the flu? Swine Flu? 1000s died. There was no running up and down the halls with arms in the air screaming!
    I've about had enough of this crap too!
    Jim W7RY

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. We are all disappointed Jim. Everyone has a right to feel stressed out:)

Oddly, what got me past various down-in-the dumps excursions was re-reading CANDIDE by Voltaire. Amazing parable for these times. (Not highbrow...all parody of the great enterprise of civilization.)

Best to you:)

Chip W1YW

15. W7RY

W7RY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH CHIP! Thank you so much!

I'm so enlightened now... Since hearing from "The Source"

ROTFL....

If you'll excuse me now... I have to go PUKE!