ad: chuckmartin

DX Commander All Band Vertical HF Antenna Build & Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Jan 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

The DX Commander is an All Band Vertical HF Antenna that covers 9 bands from 80m through to 6m. It is an economical and efficient way of getting on every HF band easily with a nice compact vertical antenna.

I build and review this antenna below. I hope you enjoy. Do you own a DX Commander? How does it perform for you?

N0CN, N8RC, K3PNI and 21 others like this.
  2. K0MAN

K0MAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Really Fun Review and Thanks very much.

3. K6GS

K6GS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently built the DXC Lite, running it on 40-20-15. Getting great results. Am waiting on shipping of the big brother so I can get the rest of the bands, then will likely retire my EFHW. The DXC is a fun kit to build and it performs. Can't ask for much more than that - except maybe for a shipment of cardboard to the UK ;-)

N1XES, KI5MBV and KY6L like this.
  4. DL4QB

DL4QB QRZ Lifetime Member #719 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Are some OMs here who has compared the Antenna against another?
    I.e. this type of Antenne (i like it!) againts a 43 ft Pole with a tuner on the bottom with radilas. If we talk about the 100W class it should be compareable.

5. ZL4HSV

ZL4HSV Ham Member QRZ Page

A rip off that can be easily built yourself

K2WH, KO2Q, K7BEN and 4 others like this.
  6. K6GS

K6GS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Directly compared with my EFHW (40m wire), on xmit for about a half dozen A/B tests across US and into JA got reports of 2-5 S units higher using the DXCLite vertical compared to the wire. YMMV though as my home QTH is pretty good for a ground-mounted vertical and I can't get the EFHW as high or oriented as I'd like. For receive performance, depends on the station and at night the noise tends to be a bit lower on the EFHW. I haven't compared it to a traditional vertical. Two things I like are no tuner required and the kit goes together quickly.

Pretty much every antenna is some sort of compromise, and different people have different operating conditions and limitations (*cough* HOA *cough*). I had good results with the EFHW at my previous QTH, having better results with the DXC at my current situation and it attracts less attention from neighbors.

KY6L likes this.
  7. DL4QB

DL4QB QRZ Lifetime Member #719 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Ok, sounds good, many thanks for this! Maybe someone else?
    Sorry to ask again, but i could really not find more than 2 videos of a good compare.
    Yes, the EFHW would be maybe another option and this is waht i´d like to figure out.

8. MW6XDA

MW6XDA Ham Member QRZ Page

had partly taken down my mast, windy, went to put up next day it had frozen. used hot/cold medic pads to defrost. as a VK will not happen. g8 video.tu

VK7HH likes this.
  9. M6ENP

M6ENP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

i have to take exception to your comment dr om, i used mine in the last ft roundup ,from 80 to 15m(bands i used) as a single op, i managed to score No1 in England, 18 in europe, and 42 in the world, a rip off ?? doubt it, i can work in fact i have done so this week down into VK land and towards you in ZL land all from my qth of IO84FQ , my only regret not having a better radial field/or room for the Nebula(big brother) nuff said

N3HAM, MW6PNW, N1XES and 5 others like this.
  10. W9HJ

W9HJ QRZ Lifetime Member #294 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Aren't ALL antennas that hams use "a rip off that can be easily built yourself"?

Doesn't mean that people shouldn't buy them or use them. Some people just don't have the time or resources to DIY.

Just saying.

N6YWU, N5EVV, NN3RP and 34 others like this.
  11. KI4UYA

KI4UYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice job & review Hayden. I've had my classic for about 9 months now & love it's simplicity. Bottom line is it just "works". Regarding a few comments posted, I myself don't have the means to fabricate this antenna although I'm sure many do. IMHO the classic is worth the time & money. Haven't done the 80 meter inverted L yet but plan to this summer. Thanks for the post and review....73

N5EVV, M0MNE and MM0XXW like this.
  12. SM0FPR

SM0FPR Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice review - I have one in my garden but without the 80m inverted L.
    Been up for 2+ years. Survived hurricane winds about 65 knots.

N5EVV, NX6ED and MM0XXW like this.
  13. KD2KEH

KD2KEH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

***I think that the DX Commander IS something that you can make yourself if you can get all the parts & supplies mustered together. But like so many things in ham radio, not everyone can get the pieces readily or they can't think of how to make a similar item to do the job. DX Commander has some well-made products and puts them together all in one place. AND it works really well.

N5SKT, VK6HAJ, 2E0RLR and 5 others like this.
  14. AF7ON

AF7ON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course you can build any antenna yourself, but what DX Commander provides is hardware that makes it a lot easier to set up and operate. You can buy the whole antenna or just the bits that make it easier. This is true for a lot of antennas - hex beams, quads and trapped antennas in particular. Not all of us have workshops with lathes and welding equipment or are able to cast aluminum!

Mike
    AF7ON

N5SKT, NX6ED, MM0XXW and 5 others like this.
  15. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a big proponent of DIY antennas. Currently a 20 m vertical zepp, a 50' trap vertical for 80/40, and a 105' doublet fed via a tuner and 1950's TV ladder line.

Because one can easily build it does not make it a "rip off". There is a lot of time involved in sourcing parts. If not copying a design, there is a hell of a lot of time in design and testing.

73, -Bob

N5SKT, VK6HAJ, WA2LXB and 5 others like this.