ad: M2Ant-1

ZS6BKW Antenna Review: 1000 QSOs later...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0LWC, Dec 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

10,000 in 18 months?

I don't know about a video post but, step away from the shack and get some _________ !!!!

VK6APZ/SK2022, ND6M and WZ7U like this.
  2. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Might this be a collapsible aluminum lawn chair or...a wooden one?

3. OK1XD

OK1XD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, it is really great antenna. I use it quite often. In the world of multiband wire antennas nothing can beat the double Windom, but this ZS6BKW performs very well, really better than original. I put mine on 55´as invV, feeding it only 100W and working the whole world if condx allow. It is a bit noisy (compared to Windom which is super quiet) but it takes less space than Windom. Great antenna for small lot owners. In case of plenty space I would go for double Windom. Anyway, I use both :)

4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

First, You guys need a GREAT performing antenna, in order to compare your antenna.

The word GREAT is sure used a lot here.

Maybe
    the receiving station is doing all the work and is the real hero, they may be the GOOD operators that has to pull these antennas out of the noise!

As any good antenna experimenter should know, the more antennas the better, that way you can test and see how they are really working. You won't know you have a good antenna if you can't compare it with others! With a variety of antennas available and using the antenna that is generally more optimum for the particular distance, direction, and time of day is better than using an amp.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    WD4ELG and VK6APZ/SK2022 like this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Did the back of the napkin math, works out to around 19 a day, every day, for eighteen months solid.

Must have a commode right close to the operating position. :D

VK6APZ/SK2022 likes this.
  6. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Then there is the W5GI Mystery Antenna.... OOPS! I don't want to take the thunder away from this zs6bkw lovefest......

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    VK6APZ/SK2022 and K0UO like this.
  7. HB9RLZ

HB9RLZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I always used Vertcal Antennas in the past. Until I got active on 40/80m band. A friend told me about the ZS6BKW and how limited space it needs. So I serched for infos and mesures to build one. I did it and it's the best antenna I ever had on HF (80-40-30-20-17-12-10 and 6m). For 30-17 and 12m a tuner helps to get perfect match. Finally I used a nanoVNA-F Vector Network Analizer to check the resonance.

I do a lot FT8. My ZS6BKW it's the perfect antenna for. With no PA and 100W only I got tons of Awards for all HF-Bands (See my QRZ-Bio). The ZS6BKW is also the ideal Antenna vor RVers and portable use. All you need is 2 x 45.1115 ft of any copper or steel wire, a central plate and 40 ft of 450 Ohm ladderline. With a current Balun hocked up to your asymmetric Antenna tuner or without Balun direct to a symmetric tuner you're good to go.

Have fun and best 73s de
    Manfred, HB9RLZ

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-uwa-kit
    https://www.balundesigns.com/model-1171-1-1-atu-current-balun-1-54-mhz-5kw/
    https://www.amazon.com/Seesii-Analy...ld=1&keywords=nanoVNA-F&qid=1609599070&sr=8-1
    https://ldgelectronics.com/index.php/products/desktop/at-1000proii/

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    KM2K and KG5LTL like this.
  8. KB6HRT

KB6HRT Ham Member QRZ Page

Have been using the zs6bkw for 5+years, when from a 102' G5RV. For my needs its a lot better, it quieter on 75-10m an pulls in signals stronger day in an day out. On 75m use a 10 to 1 tuner an it works like a non resonant antenna on receive ( great signal to noise ratio) but down 2 S units on transmit for a resonont dipole. to me that's a good trade, can switch it with a double bazooka I use also for 75-40m an with a flip on a switch an can still hear the distance contact a little easer most of the time altho the signal meter is a tad lower on 75m but still very hearable most of the time, Have my zs6bkw at 41+' from grade an installed correctly with very low SWR 40-6 meters. Can use 5-1000+ watts, if power is required. Very good antenna for my usage..........................kb6hrt

KM2K, VK6APZ/SK2022 and KG5LTL like this.
  9. NI9Y

NI9Y XML Subscriber QRZ Page

;);););)I enjoyed your video. Next time lets hear some actual signals.

I regularly QSO with a Creastview, FL station on 80 meters CW before sunrise who uses this antenna at 35 feet. His signal is always S-9.;)

Check out the attachment how to construct the antenna.

He also has a G5RV however his signal is mostly weaker on that antenna. My first antenna in 1956 was a homemade Windom using clear TV 300 ohm feedline fed thru aluminum window frame. Before that I used the bedspring at five feet.

I use a homebrew 80 meter half-wave up 50 feet and a G5RV emergency at 33 feet and a homebrew 160 meter half-wave wire.

Attached Files:

10. VK2XTC

VK2XTC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Rather than start a new post I thought I would ask my question here. Hope this is acceptable.

I would like to understand the process for "Tuning" a ZS6BKW Multi band Dipole Antenna.

The challenge was to build it out of common components from my local hardware store for under AU$50 or about US$30. A Fathers Day Gift Card
    I have built the antenna out of Plastic coated Washing Line, approx 60m and PVC electrical pipe for the Insulators. It's not cut at the centre, it forms the horizontal and vertical feeder sections as one length.
    I have made the ladder line out of home irrigation stand off pipe cut to 20mm lengths and cable ties.
    The 1:1 Balun is formed from 1.5mm copper wire would on an type 43 Toroid I had in the junk box.

The key to this design is I can make the resonant length and the ladder line length longer or shorter as required to adjust the operating frequency.
    I can also adjust the antenna length to make it into the G0GSF (the ZS6BKW Jr).

I would like to understand how to Tune the Antenna to get is to resonate correctly.
    I'm assuming the process is to start it on say 40M and adjust the horizontal section to get the lowest VSWR, and then select another band and adjust the feeder length to get it to resonate in the section of the band I'm after.
    I'm guessing, but Mathematically there should be two "magic" frequencies that can be used to align the Resonance of the antenna.

I've googled this to death over the Covid lockdown period and everyone seems to talk to the "publication data" and the size as specified , but no one actually spells out the procedure of aligning one of these things.

Can anyone assist ?

Thank You

Brian VK2XTC

11. KG5LTL

KG5LTL Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out this video that has an interview with G0GSF former ZS6BKW.

12. AF7ON

AF7ON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The folded version provides two vertical segments that provide endfire gain at low angles on 20 meters - a much better pattern than if the antenna is used in inverted vee form. The tuning doesn't change much between versions, but the most critical variable is the electrical length of the feeder line. Note also that using insulated wire may change the lengths of elements by a two or three percent - that's nearly half a meter or well over a foot! If in doubt, refer to G0GSF's article and other sources on the electrical length of insulated wire.

Mike
    AF7ON

WD4ELG likes this.
  13. VK2XTC

VK2XTC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KG5LTL & AF7ON , thank you for the quick responses.

I have viewed the interview you attached (great interview) and read every reference I can find to this antenna on the Internet.
    I have been effectively in COVID lockdown / working from home for most of 2020 so I've done a lot of research.
    Unfortunately there is very little practical experience out there, most people are republishing existing material with little real world , "this is how I did it" experience available.

Interestingly there are many variations on this same antenna out there (the published lengths vary) and of course it varies depending on the type of material used and the height of the installation.
    I've built the antenna as per Brian Austin's published articles, but are now looking for practical experience on how to "Tune" the antenna.

Critically, the feeder needs to be 0.62 wavelengths long (on 20M) and therefore the physical length of the open wire feeder varies depending on the quality and type of the feeder used. Mine is home made ladder line at approx. 450 ohm..
    All variations, including the original G5RV, focus on measuring the actual VF of the Feeder and then cutting the feeder to length, before assembling the feeder to the central dipole support.
    The issue is now the feeder is a fixed length and cannot be adjusted to align the actual antenna to the build and physical conditions of the site.

[​IMG]
    (Picture from Google Search)

I've borrowed this idea from a company (Trueladderline) and I've used a single length of plastic covered washing line (60m) and PVC tube with hole drilled in it, to allow both L1 and L2 to be adjusted as required.

From what I can gather "Tuning" is as follows:
    1. Adjusting L1 (the dipole) to get it to dip VSWR as low as possible on the section of the band I'm after.
    2. The excess dipole length (past the insulator) is laid flat against the dipole and wrapped with some electrical tape temporarily , so I can adjust long or short as required.
    3. Then adjust L2 (the 450 ohm feeder) to get as close to 50 ohm feed match as seen at the 1:1 balun at then end of the feeder. (I'm using an eBay device called a Mini60)
    4. Shortening the Ladder Line is as easy as marking a length with a permanent marker (Say 100mm) and then pushing the cable back through the PVC tube (with holes drilled in it).
    5. The length the ladder line is shortened (100mm) is then marked on the dipole at each insulator and it is then pushed through the end insulator (PVC pipe with holes drilled in it)
    6. Repeat process as required noting that you may need to extend the dipole / ladder line length as necessary

So, my questions are:

Does what I've written above make sense?
    Is 20M (14.1Mhz) the right band to commence tuning against or should it be 40M (7.1Mhz) ?
    Is there another frequency (not in a ham band) that is considered the "Fundamental" frequency for this antenna design that would be a better choice as the baseline frequency?
    Is there a simpler way to "tune" the antenna, taking into account that the design does not have a cut at the feed line so the normal VF measurement practice does not work.

Thank You

Brian VK2XTC

Sydney - Australia

HB9RLZ likes this.
  14. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have found the same antenna(your choice) in different locations work differently. Depending on whats in the ground. What is around you and your antenna(buildings,trees or mountain range ) . Electrical interference. So on So forth. Just one antenna for every one isn't the answer.
    We are A community of experimenters , so go for it . Try different things and see what works for you where you live.

Just sayin
    AE7XG
    Dave

15. 2E0HVK

2E0HVK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You and I obviously have very different ideas about what "limited space" means. Lol

Can't wait to operate portable, really looking forward to putting up a ZS6BKW.

Ali.

HB9RLZ likes this.