ad: k1jek

Its final - amateur service license fees are coming...

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN3W, Dec 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Be careful. I once defined this term for someone who asked on these forums, and my post was deleted. I should stress that I was not actually using the phrase.

I wish there weren't a fee, but I will pay it.

AF5XF likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Tread carefully .... borderline personal attacks

Dave
    W7UUU

KK3Q, N3GY, AE8W and 9 others like this.
  3. KO4EBW

KO4EBW Ham Member QRZ Page

So the rationale is that seeing as we get screwed over by high taxes, then we shouldn't mind paying more? I guess we get the government that we deserve.

KV4BL, KK1V, KF4ZKU and 1 other person like this.
  4. AA4MB

AA4MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think we should buckle our chin straps - the government we 'deserve' is likely going to be coming up with more creative ways to fail at paying down the increasing interest on the national debt - nevermind the debt itself. I'm just hoping that this will not become a trend in amateur radio to try and squeeze more water from our rock for various and sundry fees and 'services.'

KF4ZKU, AF8WX and N4FZ like this.
  5. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

I wasn't sure what the term meant ... I had to look it up, a testimony to its importance.

K0HWY and AJ6KZ like this.
  6. AF5XF

AF5XF Ham Member QRZ Page

$35 is not much compared to other countries/services but what does the FCC do besides process a little bit of paperwork and it is mostly computer automated.

bottom line is, I'll pay it but I'm not happy about it.

W6SAE, N4CKC and (deleted member) like this.
  7. AF5XF

AF5XF Ham Member QRZ Page

yeah it became big about a year ago. seems to be a rebellious teen's response to his grandma/grandpa

Edit: I'm just out of teenhood so I know a bit about that sort of thing(gasp)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    KG7HVR likes this.
  8. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I pay for LMR service, but I get a frequency that I can kick people off of (never had to do it).

I pay for GMRS. I don't get my own frequency, but I do get a crazy-long callsign.

I will pay for amateur radio. I get frequencies to use from near DC to near daylight. I guess its worth it--plus it will be very far from my biggest amateur radio expense, even if I live to be 300 years old.

AK5B, AC8KW, KR3DX and 3 others like this.
  9. WB8SCT

WB8SCT QRZ Lifetime Member #205 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I love this hobby, and am happy to pay $35 for the privilege of being a Ham Radio Operator! And for my friends who enjoy a good drink, yeah, it is only half the price of a decent bottle. BTW, it is only a little more than a Boefeng.

N3GY, KA5RIO, KU4X and 6 others like this.
  10. LU6PSG

LU6PSG Ham Member QRZ Page

In my country, the license is free, you only pay to a radio club an exam fee/renewal fee, about 20 USD every 5 years if you're not affiliated. It's some sort of collaboration to the club. Every club is free to set their fee policy and amount.

Fees should not exist in a country where everyone pays taxes for everything... sales taxes, income taxes, property taxes, federal taxes, and so on.

N0NEV, K7UIN, W4RRN and 9 others like this.
  11. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

go away if you want to argue .
    go play with your He- Men toys
    see what you Pay in Vietnam-
    Cambodia ...( if they will issue a license)
    K8PG

WQ4G and WB8SCT like this.
  12. N5AX

N5AX Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't mind it so much if it were just for new licenses and renewals. $35 per decade is certainly not a problem.
    My issue is that it also charges for vanity applications and license upgrades. I've been trying to get a 4-digit call sign, as a "reward to myself" since passing the Extra exam in last month. They are infuriatingly hard to get. I've tried for 8 of them so far, with NO LUCK. Under the upcoming fee structure, I'd currently be out $315 bucks, and STILL not have my 4-digit vanity call (8 vanity apps, + the Extra upgrade)..

W6SAE and SA4BRL like this.
  13. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if this will cleanup 75m. lol.

KT6KT, WQ4G, AF8WX and 1 other person like this.
  14. LU6PSG

LU6PSG Ham Member QRZ Page

Even kids pay 6-7% sales tax every time they go buy candies. Our sales tax is 21% .... sadly.

15. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree Joe!