ad: Radclub22-1

Backpacking 2m 5 element Yagi.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KK6USY, Dec 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KK6USY

KK6USY Ham Member QRZ Page

This was a fun project I did recently on building a backpacking 2m 5 element Yagi that weighs 21 oz. The longest part is 25" but could be shorter. I used materials I had on hand for the boom so if you had a longer piece of boom material you could make the sections a little shorter. I hope you enjoy the video and I have a part 2 that shows the build with more up close views and materials used.

KC5OMC, W4BAY, KD2PHM and 18 others like this.
  2. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video, as a relative newbie I’d have liked to know what measurements were used, spacing and length of elements etc. Will they be in the part 2 you mention above? Thanks for posting and I love the 991A worst thing I did was sell mine. 73

KK6USY likes this.
  3. W6MCH

W6MCH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video, I too was inspired by K6ARK (Adam) to build a 2meter portable yagi for Sota activations. Would like to get more info on you yagi antenna as well.

KK6USY likes this.
  4. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I was going that route some time ago but after crunching the numbers on what was needed, factoring in shipping and time spent I just bought a diamond. Was cheaper in the end and works very well. I like building but the damn yankee in me drives me to only build when there is a decent cost savings.

W1LEB, W5CJA, KK6USY and 1 other person like this.
  5. K5MPH

K5MPH Ham Member QRZ Page

With out a drill press this antenna would be hard to build.....

KF4ZKU, KK6USY and N1IPU like this.
  6. W3ATT

W3ATT Ham Member QRZ Page

I got a small bench-top drill press for about $129 years ago.. very handy for all projects and gets used very often.

KF4ZKU and KK6USY like this.
  7. KK6USY

Part 2 will be out tonight, but I added dimensions in both videos in the description. And I love my FT991A , people either love or hate it for some reason.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  8. KK6USY

Part 2 will be out tonight, but I added dimensions in both videos in the description.

9. KK6USY

I am the same way on price, but if it's close I try to build it nothing like making a contact with a antenna you build lol.

10. KK6USY

Replace the round tubing with square tube, that will make it a lot easier. The design I found was actually built on a PVC boom.

VE3TLT and KF4ZKU like this.
  11. KF6VVP

KF6VVP Ham Member QRZ Page

Could you go into depth a little more about the feed point /matching and the coil wraps .
    Very cool vid /antenna looking foward to see more .

KK6USY likes this.
  12. KK6USY

Yes I go into more detail in part 2 , it airs tonight. On the feed point it's just center to one side and shield to the other like a dipole and I did 3 full wraps around a spray paint can. The two sides of the driven are isolated from each other and the boom.

13. KF6VVP

KF6VVP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Chuck , good stuff OM !

KK6USY likes this.
  14. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Heck yea!!! Nothing like home brewing an antenna, both the Beams I am currently using are home brew 6 meter 4 element Yagi and a HF Moxon.

KK6USY likes this.
  15. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

40 years ago, I build a 5 element using a broom stick as the boom and drilled with 1/8" inch holes for the elements and used segments of aluminum grounding wire cut to length for a portable beam.

I was hiking in the White Mountains of NH, used the broom stick as a walking stick and the elements and other necessary hardware, was in the backpack.

AI6IN and KK6USY like this.