ad: MyersEng-1

HR2.0 - FCC Hits Rugged Radios with Citation over Illegal Radios

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Dec 15, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

@K8XG - Do note that Racing Radios is not the same company as Rugged Radios, the company this piece is about. I do believe that Racing Radios operates appropriately.

K4MID and KC5HWB like this.
  2. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It is different for sales vs. rentals. You can't sell someone a radio and allow them to operate under the auspices of your license. Doesn't work that way.

K8XG likes this.
  3. N3FAA

Nope. They're right there with them. They're doing the exact same illegal behavior as Rugged Radios. Hopefully this will serve as a warning to them, PCI, and others who do the exact same thing.

4. AI8O

AI8O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am just glad to see the FCC enforcing something, anything!

For too long there just hasn't been any enforcement action on imported radios.

WN4VCH, KC5HWB, N0TZU and 3 others like this.
  5. KD5BVX

OK maybe I'm thinking of another one...

6. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That practice is legal, but only if the transmitter portion of the radio is only capable of transmitting on amateur frequencies. It's a result of the fact that there is no certification required or available for amateur transmitters, but all scanning receivers are required to be certified. Look up the FCC certification of any modern 2m transceiver from Yaesu/Icom/Kenwood, and you'll see they're all certified as scanning receivers, even though they're marketed as transceivers, and may even say "transceiver" on the front.

Where Rugged Radios went wrong was in marketing a transceiver capable of transmitting on services that require certified transmitters (virtually any service other than Amateur) without getting the radio certified for the service(s) on which it could transmit.

Most Baofengs I've seen also violate this rule. They'll transmit on any frequency they're programmed for, but they're either uncertified or else only certified for Part 90.

7. N3FAA

I should clarify. You are absolutely right that they are two different companies. But both are operating illegally. :D

KD5BVX likes this.
  8. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Month old news...

W2TH, KT5OT and N3FAA like this.
  9. W7IVK

W7IVK Ham Member QRZ Page

They are selling Baofengs. That is all. Don't sell blue Baofengs with your name on them to John Q. Public. Leave that to the Chinese on Amazon and Ebay.

NC7U, AE5HL and WD4IGX like this.
  10. KD5BVX

Well, no, not really. Decision was 3 weeks ago; article was 8 days ago. Thanksgiving holiday delays a little on the production side. But...what's your goal here?

AF5XF and K3SZ like this.
  11. W1GCF

W1GCF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As was already stated, there is (believe it or not) a law against selling receivers for the old AMPS frequencies. Look up the IC-R9500 on popular retail sites and you will see it is available with those frequencies blocked or - without them blocked but requiring special authority to purchase it. You have to be the feds or - a couple other things to get the radio unblocked.

12. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's kind of self explanatory...old new is no news.

13. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

another federal agency exceeding its jurisdictions over ill feelings
    on a side note the feds need $$ to pay for everyone not working somehow
    heaven forbid anytones receive almost everything too
    looks like a baofeng radio to me regardless of its name brand

14. KD5BVX

o_O Um...hardly...

15. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Uh.... :confused: