ad: Schulman-1

Basic walk through on ft891 a great compact but complicated rig

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG7HVR, Dec 13, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. AE0AQ

AE0AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Had mine for almost 2 years. Yes, menus take some getting used to, but just chalk it up to a learning curve. Actually, after you understand the logic the menus make a lot more sense. When I use this as a base I also use HRD which gives me instant access to any function so that really isn't an issue. When I use it mobile now I don't really have any trouble with it. What a great little radio for the price and the size!

KV0X likes this.
  2. VA7AON

VA7AON XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had mine for two years now and really like this little rig. I'm using it as my base station and have worked the world with it on CW. As far as the menus go, I find that the advanced manual that's available from Yeasu on-line really helps. As well, there are great YouTube videos that explain how to adjust the mic, set up digital modes, etc. The rig may appear complex because it has so many features that are found in larger and much more expensive radios. I plan to keep it for ARES, portable, SOTA and backup.

3. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

Receive is awesome. Menus suck but then again, how often do you really need to access obscure functions? I just made an index card that sits next to it with a few things I might use and gets me to where I need to be.

Again, I can't say enough good things about the receive on this radio.

KG7HVR likes this.
  4. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

with the concept of 1000 menu spaces broken into 10x 100 it seems like all mfgrs could standardize on that at least, then some programming functions.

5. KE7MPO

KE7MPO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had one as my primary base and table top mobile in our RV and loved it. Once learned the menus aren't that bad. Not that long of a learning curve if you're interested in spending the time. HF while driving is for me. I have ft8900r's in RV drivers spot and in my truck. Sold my 857D to fund the 891. Found for table top RV use I miss the shack in a box aspect the 857D has over the 891. Bumping up to a 991a for shack in a box. That's the only reason I no longer have the 891. Great HF rig

KF5VDX likes this.
  6. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If it's too complicated for you, I'll trade tour even for a TenTec Scout. No mode or band switch even. PTT it does sub, press the key it does CW.

If you want to do many things with many modes and bands there wild be buttons or menus, there is NO free lunch.

W8LGZ and PY2RAF like this.
  7. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Yaesu: "Space is limited so let's make the most of it. Give them four buttons for VFO and memory operation because they will certainly need any of those more than a dedicated tune button." :rolleyes:

DSP is hot garbage. It makes everyone sound like they are talking underwater.

KG7HVR and K9GLS like this.
  8. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Right. But if the 891 were a sandwich the bread would be in the middle.

KG7HVR and K2XT like this.
  9. KD2EJ

KD2EJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had the Icom-7000 nice small radio and the worst menu set up I have ever seen on a radio. This radio is impossible to change settings while driving. I believe is the most complex menu I have ever seen. I bought the IC-7100 and that's fantastic, simple and touch screen. Good luck with the Yaesu

KG7HVR likes this.
  10. K1YPB

K1YPB Ham Member QRZ Page

I own both the FT891, and the FT-991 as well as an original FT-817. So I guess I am a Yaesu man. I actually like the 891. The receiver is awesome, and you can't beat Yaesu's DNR and Contour controls. Once you get the menu strategies understood it is really easy to use. It is actually easier than the 991 in my opinion. The only thing I wish the 891 had was a built in sound card like the 991. I use the Yaesu SCU-17 with 891. I have paired my 891 with the Yaesu FC-50 auto tuner. It grabs a match lightning fast, and the interface is seamless. It also look really nice. The 891 is a great radio in a small package. Is it perfect? No. Love it or hate it... you can't find a better radio for the money. I like mine and will be keeping it for a long time.

K1BQY, KZ4TN and ND6M like this.
  11. NQ6B

NQ6B Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had one for almost two years. I was attracted to it because it was the cheapest 100w xcvr from the big manufacturers (I'm a real cheap-skate).

Regarding the menus, they are intuitive but, for a CW op, they take way too long to navigate. I wrote a simple Python script which (thru CAT) allows me to change several settings with a single keystroke. It's customized for my operating habits. For me, that completely solves the menu problem. Happy to share, if you're interested.

The IF DSP is fine, down to 50 Hz bandwidth, great for CW. However, a strong CW signal just outside the filter range can be heard (thumping and key-clicks, although it doesn't seem to take control of the AGC). My $150 SDR Play doesn't do that.

I don't operate SSB much so can't speak to the Tx audio other than to say that when operating FT8 and MSK144 its output has low distortion (speech processor off). Rx audio if fine and volume can go high enough to overcome traffic noise.

Notch and NB works well for my needs (I read the other person who didn't like the NB, YMMV).

KG7HVR likes this.
  12. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

I am more of a script kittie with Python LOL. I would love to see what you wrote. My email is valid on my QRZ page.

13. CL7YW

CL7YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yo tengo uno y lo uso más frecuentemente que cualquiera de mis radios, a pesar de su pequeño tamaño es formidable es verdad que la interface de la pantalla no es tan atractiva como otros radios pero en un funcionamiento general se desempeña excelente, además tiene incluida muchas funciones que otros radios de de mayor envergadura poseen pero en este supieron combinarlas y crear casi un radio perfecto

14. KC3GIO

KC3GIO Ham Member QRZ Page

I have one and I love it going to buy a 2nd one

KZ4TN and ND6M like this.
  15. W3HG

W3HG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You can’t have both a large display and a small size, combined with nearly all of the features of an FTDX1200 without deep menus.

if using as a base, then set up control software. It makes it far easier to use. If mobile, set it up ahead of time and choose your user-selectable controls wisely as there aren’t many without getting deep into the menu.

You won’t find a better radio in the price range.

KZ4TN likes this.