ad: Radclub22-1

Amateur Radio Newsline headlines for Ham Nation. December 9, 2020.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Dec 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. JF1UCX

JF1UCX Ham Member QRZ Page

My thoughts exactly, when I saw the drone catch the moment of failure. Perhaps it had a built in 'failure prediction circuit' like HAL 9000. ;)

2. NS4WT

NS4WT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I suppose that's what we get for not repairing the AE-23 unit as instructed.

JF1UCX likes this.
  3. W1PJE

W1PJE Ham Member QRZ Page

The drone footage is there because over the weekend prior to the failure, multiple outer strands were failing on Tower 4's cables. That intensified the drone focus on Tower 4. One should not be surprised at all that observations were there at the critical moment. AO staff were diligent in spending hours with DJI drones at exactly the spot where they thought the most stress occurred.

Notice all the paint missing from the cables - that's the outer strands breaking and taking the white paint with them.

Scott Manley's analysis of the failure is excellent, if you can stand to watch the footage again (I can't):

W1YW and N9DOK like this.
  4. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Wait for NASA, Musk and Bezos getting back on the Moon. Select a nice big crater on the dark side and have at it :cool:

G3SEA/KH6

5. GM4BRB

GM4BRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Precisely. From what I hear - (Sneering wistfully in deep throat manner):
    — If they do go, they won't ever be coming back, from there ....

6. GM4BRB

On 11/27/20, 4brb-electronics. wrote:

Dear Jill,
    What are your thoughts on the announcement that the Puerto-Rico, Arecibo dish is to be demolished?

"I've been going to Arecibo since 1978. over the decades we've built a lot of Arecibo-specific hardware, written a lot of software, and bent the telescope control system into modes it was never designed for. Arecibo was an impressive feat of engineering, a scientific workhorse, and it never lost that aura of being slightly exotic, no matter how many times i visited there; the constant croaking of the coquis, the perfumes of the tropical forest, the local Ron del Barrelito, the Gregorian dome with it's unmistakable compressor cadence, the jogging track underneath the dish ringed with small orchids, Orion rising over the treetops as seen from the balcony of the VSQ, before heading off to my midnight shift of Project Phoenix observations, and the absolutely best view on the island from atop the platform. but most of all i remember the staff and the resident scientists who were very close knit, offered us superb technical support, and threw wonderful parties with lots of dancing.

It is very sad to witness the passing of this scientific Queen. she withstood powerful hurricanes, but age appears to have gotten the upper hand.

jill" (Tarter).

Jill_C_Tarter_blue.gif

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It wasn't demolished. It fell apart on its own. Don't see ANY relevance to the above comment, given the circumstance.

AO was the KING of dishes (as if sexual dimorphism is invokable or relevant on metallic spheroids...), and still may have life left to it --without a platform superstructure.

I suspect the dish will be used for ionospheric work-- and not 'returned to nature' for breeding schistosomiasis snails and fernal scrub--there are a thousand nearby karst sinkholes doing that already.

It is likely that the return to ionospheric research will be very inexpensive and far, far cheaper than returning the entire facility into a 'returning to nature' fia$$$co. Furthermore, if you start with ionospheric work with the dish itself, you have time to think out whether to re-build the telescope and planetary radar...

And clearly useful!

Don't write off AO for research just yet.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You want to spend a half a trillion dollars making a lunar crater into a spheroid dish??

Have you looked out your door at people's general welfare lately? Please: let's be realistic for at least a path forward over the next 60 years....

9. GM4BRB

Well my forestry worker neighbour just drove into his 4-vehicles driveway. Three cars, one van.

Your logic is ... not so much flawed, as totally non-existent. I didn't start this thread, you loony.

You just want to be seen to be on the winning side ... of a problem you probably created yourself.

2E0TWD likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The adverse economic conditions presently seen in your country and mine are real and unprecedented in at least 90 years. Given the debt burden of our countries and the suffering of millions of people, spending on a lunar crater observatory makes no sense to anyone.

You want to put a half a trillion dollar spheroid in a LUNAR crater...and call ME "loony".

Please refrain from ad hominem attacks as per the QRZed rules.

If you can describe how such a half a trillion dollar expenditure can justifiably aid the human condition, then feel free to inform us. I can be easily persuaded by benefit and fact.

2020 is not a year of winners. I have no idea how that mindset has relevance here.

11. GM4BRB

Listen PAL, I didn't suggest anyone go the Moon, Mars, Venus or your bit fat American Idiot ass ...
    You're just projecting, and still trying to come out on top of an argument you created yourself.

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Please read the QRZed rules. If you wish to engage in reasonable opinion and or discussion, those are the rules under which this engages.

Your statements (so noted) are ad hominem attacks; false, and disrespectful.

Take a breath and be friendly. Expatiate on the basis for your lunar suppositions.

Chip W1YW

13. GM4BRB

What in the name of Mount Fuji is a Doctor Scientist?
    Oh, I know it; someone who creates problems: so they can be the herald of a final-solution.
    So, ... who does get the last word? It's gotta be you, until you're exposed as the fraud you are!
    Mine's a #99 with a chocolate flake in it. Thanks for asking.

2E0TWD likes this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

More ad hominem attack...

'Dr. Scientist' is a brand of guitar foot pedals which I use religiously. My friends caught onto this and often use that moniker when addressing me. I think it is amusing. If I wanted to be called 'Doctor' I would sign accordingly.

Many Ph.D.'s avoid being called 'Dr.' in public because it confuses some people, in these troubled times of taxed health workers. Most people still see 'doctor' as 'physician'.

My Ph.D. is in astrophysics from Cornell. I was a grad student of Frank Drake. I spent quite a bit of time down at Arecibo as a young man. I presently am involved in a number of fields, predominantly electromagnetics. As such I am an 'applied scientist'. Hence 'Dr. Scientist' is an accurate description. I do not use it as named title. But it makes an amusing Jetson-esque icon!

Please state exactly what you find 'fraud'ulent. If not , please refrain from defamation.

Your opinion may differ.

15. GM4BRB

michael-kelly-patriot-decree-guitar-blood-red.jpg
    My guitar. H¦H self-refurb 2×12 & about every decent pedal I can fit in the naughty boy room.
    I hope to play the pants off an audience someday but that will neither be today nor tomorrow.
    And what have I parked outside? A frickin' bicycle. I have known more poverty than anyone!
    I have lived in such broken places, you don't believe exist; a full-spectrum experience, - is all.