ad: M2Ant-1

ARRL 10-Meter Contest: 0000Z, Dec 12 to 2400Z, Dec 13

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by K6DWI, Dec 6, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K6DWI

K6DWI Ham Member QRZ Page

KF5KWO, KO4EOD, W4LJ and 2 others like this.
  2. YV5COR

YV5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

La banda de 10 metros está mejorando en las últimas semanas. Ojalá tengamos más participación.

3. K6DWI

K6DWI Ham Member QRZ Page

The 10-meter band is improving in recent weeks. Hopefully we have more participation.

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

5. KC3NDU

KC3NDU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm going to operate the arrl 10 meter contest. 1st time. Im wondering what antenna most people use. Vertical or horizontal? Im asking because I have a 80/10 efhw that works pretty good. But I just adjusted the swr and erected a 5/8 vertical ground plane antenna for 10 meter. Which is better on 10 meter? Vertical or horizontal?

6. KC3NDU

My guess is most people on 10 meter are using a vertical. Unless they are using yagis. I'm just guessing. My concern is the difference in polarity and signal loss. My yaesu rig has two antenna inputs so it won't be a chore to switch between the two. Im just trying to get a grip on the vertical/ horizontal question.

7. KK4JW

KK4JW Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I plan to play around some too. I normally use my ZS6BKW for HF use - it will load up on 10. I also have an old A99 laying in the shed from my CB days. Might drag that out and prop it up in a tree for a quick and dirty vertical.

8. KC3NDU

I put up a hy-gain spt 500 penetrator. Its 41 ft to the radials. I was working a qso with my brother in law on 10 meters. He has the same 80/10 efhw I have. I had a better signal,, tx and rx using ef to ef. The signal from my vertical to his efhw was maybe 20% lower. I just gave him an old antron 99. Interested in how that will work out. By the way, he is around 30 miles as the crow flys.

9. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Antenna polarization on 10 meters is mostly important if you are working ground wave. That is, you are not working skip, via the ionosphere. If working ground wave vertical is usually preferred.

But for the contest you will hopefully be working via ionospheric skip. What every your polarization is will shift and could be horizontal, vertical or anything between on the receiving end.

So use whatever you have and hope for some good skip conditions. Vertical, horizontal, EFHW, dipoles, inverted vee are all good on 10 with the help of some sunspots.

K4BAD likes this.
  10. WA9PND

WA9PND XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Unless that recent CME has some effect, it's going to be a slow contest. Been playing with FT8 all week, and it seems to pick up a bit early afternoon, but otherwise 10m is pretty much dead.

11. KC3NDU

K8bz, thank you. I'm going to operate cw qrp. Do the best I can with what I got.

K8BZ likes this.
  12. KC3NDU

Wa9pmd, yeah, I have been checking ft8 to see if the 10 band has been open. I think you may be right. Its going to be a slow contest. Especially working qrp.

13. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Conditions in the two CQWW tests were actually pretty good for a few hours a day on 10M. A week ago when the SFI was at 106 I was hoping for improved conditions for the 10 meter test...but now that we have had a large solar flare and CME the SFI has dropped and the A and K are up. We will see what we will see but I plan on working the contest.

14. KC3NDU

Its 10:25 pm est and 10 is opened up. YAY. Made a few ssb contacts down in GA from PA. Plus ft8 is rolling. YAY. Just on time

15. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This time of year, there's some possibility of Sporadic E propagation on 10 meters, as well. It's, well, ... sporadic ... but it happens, and can be exciting for a short time if it does.

I recently installed a Cushcraft AR10 vertical for 10 meters. I'll toss up a dipole temporarily, too, this afternoon, if I have time.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020