ad: AbAuRe-1

How I made My Fan Dipole for POTA.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KK6USY, Dec 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KK6USY

KK6USY Ham Member QRZ Page

In this video I show how I made a portable Fan Dipole Antenna.

K2OKK, N4CVX, AB4BH and 7 others like this.
  2. KN6HVU

KN6HVU Ham Member QRZ Page

I've learned something new great video, Thanks for sharing.

KK6USY likes this.
  3. KY4CQ

KY4CQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm actually entertaining the idea of building and running a 6, 10, 15, 20, and 40-meter fan dipole myself at the QTH. I'm space limited, but not HOA restricted. I'm thinking a 33 foot push up pole on the wooden fence would make a decent inverted V.

N4GST, W4IJ and W6PXL like this.
  4. KB6QXM

KB6QXM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been a ham for decades and I do not even know what POTA is? When time allows I want to build a Fan Dipole for 60, 30, 17 and 12 meters. I just need to determine the spacing between the elements. I am not looking to build a shortened or portable dipole for these bands, just one that works well.

5. KK6USY

Build the 40m and 20m You can play with the length on the 40m leg and get really close on 15m. and check to see if 6m is close also, but the 6m leg will be pretty short anyway. Space the wires atleast 5-6" apart and it should tune a little easier. Mine was for portable use and I wanted to keep it compact.

N4GST and KI5DNS like this.
  6. KK6USY

POTA stands for Parks On The Air, it was started a few years ago for the 100th year of the National parks. Afterwards Hams kept it going and it's a good excuse to get out and play on the radio portable , not everyone's cup of tea but its fun. For a antenna at home 14-18 gauge wire would be good and try spacing the wires 5-6" apart.
    Parks on the Air | POTA | Parks program for amateur radio.

KI5DNS, K9UR and ND6M like this.
  7. W3AAX

W3AAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad you're having fun out there, and welcome to the program. 73 W3AAX

K2WPM, K9UR and KK6USY like this.
  8. M0RIF

M0RIF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I made a fan(more parallel than fan!) dipole for 80 and 60 meters . works very well, mid point on both bands no matcher required. Wires about 8 inches (20cm) apart with treated home breq wooden spacers. I use 2.9 mm Kevlar wire and a a simple 1:1 choke at feedpont. very good despite not being mounted very high. Also good general reveive antenna and as a bonus SWR is lowish on 17 meters so with a matcher I worked Madeira yesterday from UK 59. Good luck!

KI5DNS and KK6USY like this.
  9. K4YNZ

K4YNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Use each band as a guy for your pole. Old design from 73 Magazine. 30 feet will do 40-6 fine.

N6SPP and KK6USY like this.
  10. W5HEH

W5HEH Ham Member QRZ Page

DID not watch the Video yet , will in a few minutes- POTA is PARKS ON THE AIR , look up a search and it will explain all , also Youtube VIDeos on POTA- get out in the Fresh Air and enjoy ! 73 ,

ps just got my Hitch Mount to hold my Fiber Mast for POTA and Portable /Mobile Use.
    best price on Amazon shipped in 4 days fast 2"3/16ths inside diameter . Have Fun .

KK6USY likes this.
  11. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Care to share which mast you are using? Thanks.

K9UR likes this.
  12. KB6QXM

KB6QXM Ham Member QRZ Page

I live in the fresh air. I live in a redwood forest. I am not an urban dweller, even though i live and work near the Silicon Valley, where I grew up. My former QTH was within walking distance of the first state park in Californi

a.

13. KK4RHZ

KK4RHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the same made of 14 ga stranded wire and at about the same height only i had 12 and 80 also. with only a 100 watts i worked anything i could hear. i used a grey colored wire (what i had laying around that was enough to do the job) and it wasn't very noticeable and that made the YL happy Kenny KK4RHZ