ad: Mountaingoat-1

HR2.0 - Xiegu REVEALS the GSOC Controller for G90 and X5105

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Nov 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

M1WML, WB4TNL, WA6QGH and 2 others like this.
  2. XV9G

XV9G Guest

A good review of the GSOC. Hahaha!!! Very bad Chinese technology. The touchscreen doesn't even work right!
    Another bad Chinese product!! Don't buy from China

W2TH, KR3DX, EA4CWW and 8 others like this.
  3. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

My question is 500 bucks for what exactly? Is it to support the PLA? When you add it all up its no great deal at all for a junk radio my 991a will outperform for less than the two pieces you need. And my money goes to an ally instead.

KC1OCA, KR3DX, KT5OT and 7 others like this.
  4. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I think you are way too kind on this review. I would be livid if I paid over $500 for this junk. But I'm not sure... You say you don't regret buying it and yet in the description you say thanks to Radioddity for allowing you to review... which lets me believe they gave it to you? At which point I can understand why you feel obligated to be nice about it. When we settle for mediocrity that's all that's going to be left.

KR3DX, EA4CWW, EI8DRB and 13 others like this.
  5. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

There is only a very small handful of real Youtube reviewers out there who are honest about anything. The rest are promoters not reviewers. I am at the point now I just about never trust any Youtube reviews. Only time I got a decent report on xiegu I found if I asked it was a new ham and their first HF rig. My first rig was a Tempo one and it was the best radio I owned at that time.

KR3DX, OH1BOR, KT5OT and 11 others like this.
  6. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I don't trust any review. Why? At the end of the day it's all about "fit" and "personal preference". No one will ever do an honest review with my personal preferences in mind. That's why I always say "your mileage will vary" when talking to someone about a radio. Yes there are a ton of used car salesmen out there on Youtube which is another reason not to believe everything you watch. That and slick, crafty editing can make anything look good but I digress.

KR3DX, KZ4TN, KT5OT and 2 others like this.
  7. KN6HVU

KN6HVU Ham Member QRZ Page

That radio looks like a small computer. Is that where Ham radio moving to?

KK5R and M1WML like this.
  8. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

You are (for the most part) correct. But this disease has also long-afflicted traditional outlets like magazines. A magazine is an advertising journal, with some articles thrown in, rather than the other way around, which is how we tend to think of them.

From long personal experience, there are very few magazines who would print a generally negative review of anything, whether a book or equipment. The whole idea is that you run the review, and an advert for that product alongside. Obviously, if it's a bad review, it won't attract the advertising. So we are left with only nods to bad points, with the expectation that all reviews are generally positive.

KR3DX, EI8DRB and M1WML like this.
  9. KI5KT

KI5KT Ham Member QRZ Page

The G90 is a great little radio. I've been using it for 7 or 8 months and really like it. Lots of amazing contacts and, for the money, unbeatable. Why would I need the GSOC? Especially for $500, which is more than what I paid for the radio!

KC1OCA, WD4IGX, M1WML and 4 others like this.
  10. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you watched/listened to the video, you would not have needed to post this comment as it was answered...but, since you comment instead of watching...he said he got it for a discount from them. He paid some but not full price is how I take that.

KK5R, XV9G, ZL2WAS and 2 others like this.
  11. N7BWB

N7BWB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had a G90 for a few months now and absolutely love it. I get terrific signal reports and it hasn't let me down. Not once. The radio itself is a terrific value. But when you add another $500 to the mix, I believe there are better choices. YMMV.

KC1OCA, WD4IGX, M1WML and 6 others like this.
  12. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I actually watched the entire video I just missed the part about a discount but thank you for being concerned that I watched or not. I heard him at the end say, "I don't regret buying it". My comment stands as written even at a deep discount a reviewer will be a bit more kind on a product.

KK5R, M1WML, K3RW and 1 other person like this.
  13. KC5HWB

I bought it, but at a pretty good discount that they gave me. I could return it...but I am choosing to keep it and see what Firmware updates come soon to help make it better. I am making a fun project out of it.

KK5R and M1WML like this.
  14. KC5HWB

I can be honest without being negative. Too much negativity out there already, I choose to be different (I TRY, at least)

Your comment can stand as written, I have no issue with that. My review stands as recorded.

KK5R, M1WML and KD5BVX like this.
  15. 4X1ST

4X1ST XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a G90 and it's an excellent little rig and was my only rig for quite some time. It delivers above and beyond what I expected from it, and it's extremely good value for money.

Now I mostly use the G90 /P and have no real need for the GSOC. But in my experience, Xiegu are very responsive to issues, and I know they're aware of the GSOC's deficiencies. From what I've read, almost all will be taken care of in an upcoming firmware release.

Thanks for the review.

KK5R, M1WML, KC5HWB and 1 other person like this.