ad: chuckmartin

Looking at 40 meter Propagation using WSPR and a EFHW Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Nov 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

WSPR is a great tool to look at and measure propagation on the various ham radio bands. In this video I test my EFHW (end fed half wave) antenna to see if it is "getting out" and who could hear me. The results are quite interesting and you can clearly see propagation results!

Other videos on End Fed Half Waves:

My New HF End Fed Antenna:

Explaining End Fed Half Wave Antennas & Experimentation:

2E0CIT, ON7QF and KV0N like this.
  2. W1MDM

W1MDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably most of my transmission time is on WSPR. The remainder is mainly on FT8 because there is so much more FT8 activity, but ...

Most of my monitoring and periodic transmissions are for antenna evaluations and tests.

For me, WSPR is much better for my experimentation because it gives an idea of how much transmit power is actually being used by the sender, On FT8 I see signals within miles of each other that are as much as 50 dB different in received S/N.

I just wish there was a lot more activity on WSPR. It is vey disappointing how few people are using WSPR.

I'm not on every day, and when I'm on, I'm not on 24/7. However I am on WSPR on nearly all of the amateur bands 160-10 meters, transmitting between 1 mW (0 dBm) to 5 watts (+37 dBm). I hope to get some setups below the North American AM broadcast band during the winter season.

Regards,
    Ken

VK7HH likes this.
  4. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

They work but my jury is still out. Lot of experimenting to do but I am on hold over the winter. Its an easy build though so hoping people will give it a go.

VK7HH likes this.
  5. W9YW

W9YW Moderator Emeritus QRZ Page

My jury is in. I've been using one since June, elevated 30' to 85'. Once I raised the lower end to 40', I hear and work the planet. Yes, there are nulls and I wish I could rotate it about 25deg occasionally so that I could work the nulls. One day I'll do that. Easy to build, deploy, maintain, and dirt cheap. I believe that other designs can and do work well. For under US$150 in parts, my own anecdotal success has been huge. That cost does not include the sycamore tree.

73 Tom

WD4ELG and VK7HH like this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Click bait and certainly not news. WSPR's initial release was 18 years ago. EFHW antennas have been around for ages, too.

NN4RH, KA2FIR, WE4B and 2 others like this.
  7. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Height is the trick. Lost all my height recently so as I say I am still on the fence till I get to a QTH to test it out properly.

8. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed, WSPR is a good scientific tool to check performance and propagation. Also agree that FT8, though more active is less useful. Neither can be used for actual communications purposes IMHO and that is why I like JS8. You get real signal reports, in fact, you can query for one, as well as the other station's info(rig, ant, pwr, whatever), even without the other op at the keyboard. Different speeds and power help assess the path propagation while actual messages can be sent, relayed or broadcast to multiple listeners. The Fast speed is near RTTY throughput while Slow approaches JT65 readability. Pskreporter.de can be used like wspernet.org, the original automatic propagation/signal strength reporting system(corrections please if this is incorrect). With JS8 you don't even NEED the internet reporting if you choose to 'stay purely with RF, so it's still real ham radio IMHO. Use all the modes, have fun, learn stuff, what could be better.....

Dave K3FHP

VK7HH likes this.
  9. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hayden (VK7HH) Outstanding...The video is great for those who are new to Ham, or just about to get their Ham ticket...Great demonstration, Video is far better than just the words!

I am a big fan of the End fed. For me it is the mechanics. I recall when I was visiting Australia, I was in a Hotel, and just used a broom stick, and hung the endfed out the window, Work like a charm!

FYI, I used to work for an Aussie Company, called NewSat...I had the pleasure of meeting and visiting Ian (VK3MO)...What a great fellow!

NN2X, Tom

VK7HH likes this.
  10. KG7YBY

KG7YBY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've used a couple of EFHW's , but they were tube verticals and mono-band. Excellent DX performance with an L-C match. No radials and the end was about 1'-2' off the ground. Cheap to build if you have a coil and air cap.
    KG7YBY, Bill

N4GNO/SK2022 and VK7HH like this.
  11. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

VK7HH -- I loved the addition of the 70uH loading coil to 'disconnect the tail' of the ant, as you mentioned, and I enjoyed seeing the real time effect of grey-line changes as you were suddenly able to work Europe, and of course, the full daylight changes, where contacts became almost purely local. I'm sure you educated some old hands as well as new. Good job and very interesting!

VK7HH likes this.
  12. VK7HH

Thanks Tom!
    I hope to do more videos such as this shortly. Just finding time is the key at the moment.

the EFHW is indeed versatile as you have said, broomstick out the window is a classic!

13. VK7HH

Thank you for watching and commenting! I have plans for another similar video, but perhaps on a slightly different band this time.

14. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Here we go again with that "new to Ham" thing.

15. VK4XO

VK4XO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Personally, I do not see this as the best indicator of usable propagation however, it is interesting

Cheers

Peter VK4XO

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020