ad: chuckmartin

Ham Radio - An early Christmas for me! Unboxing and first impressions of the Icom IC-705.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Nov 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham Radio - An early Christmas for me! Unboxing and first impressions of the Icom IC-705.

UT8IFE, KB4TRS, WA7FSH and 10 others like this.
  2. KN6HVU

KN6HVU Ham Member QRZ Page

3. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Unboxing vids are the worst. Just watch OH8STNs vid if you want to get real info.

K8XG, K4OST, K4RHS and 5 others like this.
  4. W2KS

W2KS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Really? Turn the VFO.

CT7ANU, K0PJM and KJ7OMD like this.
  5. NI9Y

NI9Y XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You made my day excellent information and clear video. Now what will I be doing with my KX3....the only non-Icom rig in the shack. I'll be very interested in the sensitivity and selectivity. Putting the speaker in front just like the old days. I'm a CW op so will be very interesting to see and hear your comments about that.

6. DE6MSW

DE6MSW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

:) super DE6MSW 73s ;)

7. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Everyone is different, but watching OH8STN's video makes me think: 'My wife can drive me to work. I need to sell my car and buy this radio RIGHT NOW!'

Watching a bunch of unboxing videos maybe takes the shine off a bit and allows me to think: 'I think I will save up for that one.'

K2NCC and AH7I like this.
  8. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I didn't catch OH8STN or anyone yet answering the question (that is important to me) of can you see the screen in direct sunlight. THIS video took 30 seconds to answer that question making it well worth the watch. Not sure if you know but you can move the slider at the bottom of a video and skip the unboxing and get to the meat of a video instead of complaining about every video you don't like but I digress.

N4BRJ and N0MQL like this.
  9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I strongly advise not holding your breath while waiting. ;)

10. K5SOP

K5SOP Ham Member QRZ Page

I sold my KX3 and PX3 some time ago with the anticipation of replacing them with the IC705. I also use FT-817/818 as IF rigs for transverters in the microwave region. This video was informative but OH8STN was more descriptive. I also use an IC9700 for an IF rig. The IC705 can replace all of those rigs and as a plus I can use it in the field. I will wait until the ARRL lab performs an extensive review before I make the purchase. Truly a shack in a small box. I hope to have one in my uW rover station before the Aug/Sept 10 GHz and up contest. I enjoyed the video, nice work.

KA2FIR likes this.
  11. K8RHH

K8RHH Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I recall that you can shut off the screen when not using it, to reduce power consumption even further. And in a future video, please explore the “touch tuning” feature. Not sure whether the 7300 does that, but it’s a swell use of the spectrum scope.

12. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

7300 does as well. First touch magnifies then a second touch tunes to where it was magnified.

K2NCC likes this.
  13. KC8YQL

KC8YQL Ham Member QRZ Page

I am very impressed with the 705.. the audio quality coming from the front firing speaker sounds really good use it with the open spot 3 using it as much on DMR and fusion as dstar very very good audio quality..

Also having a blast with the radio following KQ4KK Kent and the guys listening on dstar HF..

They coordinate the hfdstar HF net on reflector 30 Charlie on the weekends and throughout the week on the web page here is a link to that page..

73 and may God bless you all please try to stay safe and healthy in these trying times we're living through now....

http://hf.dstar-relay.net/

14. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

Whoa! Oh Boy! AN UNBOXING ! Super. That sets me at ease, because I was worried ICOM would fail to properly and safely pack and ship the rig in a suitably-sized colored box, replete with exciting graphics. I feel much better knowing it comes with a proper instruction manual and all the accessories mentioned in the product brochure.

To some ops, and unboxing is just bragging, merely Junior High level "show and tell" (or as my teachers called it, "Bring and Brag.)

But I disagree. It is comforting and reassuring to know ICOM has given it a proper send off. K8JHR

WD4IGX, AA4MB, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  15. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So, you say you only have one decent rig in your shack Don? :)

K8JHR and AJ6KZ like this.