ad: Radclub22-1

ON4UN – S.K

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by MM0NDX, Nov 10, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. MM0NDX

MM0NDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

N4FZ likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Very sad indeed! I had the pleasure of a number of great QSOs with John over the years. Wonderful operator.

He will be missed

Dave
    W7UUU

N4FZ, WA6Q and AK5B like this.
  3. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

very sad. I worked him a number of times. He was one of my first DX QSL cards.

N4FZ, WB5YUZ and W7UUU like this.
  4. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A major loss for the amateur radio world.
    We will miss you, John.

Regards,
    -Bruce

5. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Huge loss for amateur radio. I have four dozen QSOs with him stretching back to 1990 and met him in person at Visalia. He will be missed for certain.

RIP, OM.

[​IMG]

N4FZ likes this.
  6. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

THANK YOU MM0NDX,

================= a beautiful funeral flower.jpg
    on4un pix.jpg
    A SILENT KEY SALUTE OCT 2020.jpg

7. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

ON4UN respect fully vy73 djoaj erkem

8. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked John only once, about 7 or 8 months ago---but what would otherwise have been a brief dx contact turned into a very nice rag-chew as others on frequency waited patiently. It was one of my most memorable hamming thrills to hear his deep and distinct voice come back to my call.

John Devoldere was quite an accomplished ham and a true gentleman. As one of the top hams on the Top Band, he will be missed by many around the world as he begins his long rest in peace among the other truly legendary figures of amateur radio.

Jeff

N4FZ, WA6Q and KU4X like this.
  9. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

N4FZ, W0PV, WJ4U and 1 other person like this.
  10. SP5IT

SP5IT Ham Member QRZ Page

Guy dies, qrz staff throw his stuff to trash can in a blink of the eye. Well done guys!

RIP John. You'll be remembered.

N4FZ and AK5B like this.
  11. WA6Q

WA6Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Truly an icon in Amateur Radio. His contributions are certainly astounding and I could only dream of reproducing some of his creations. His books along with photos (not for the faint of heart) regarding low-band performance arrays are in my library. I recall the first 20 meter CW contact with him as I was a bit nervous...his sense of humor was excellent as I tapped out "I am not worthy"..."I am not worthy" in reference to Wayne's World and we both laughed....wow! John knew eclectic American humor as he was so worldly aware.

This planet is much more empty on this day...God Speed John

With great respect,
    WA6Q

N4FZ, WB5YUZ and AK5B like this.
  12. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

He was one of my most memorable DX contacts - while I worked him several times on CW, my very first QSO was during 2013 CQWW on 15m SSB, when he broke stride in the contest and ragchewed with me for 20 minutes! He had such a deep resounding voice, and loved to chat. We talked about his books, DXing in general, etc. - one of my most memorable contacts ever

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2020-11-10_15-46-17.png

N4FZ, WB5YUZ, WA6Q and 1 other person like this.
  13. W7UUU

I've restored John's most recent bio. I do NOT believe this was an intentional profile deletion. No, I was not the one who deleted it....

But I've now restored it to full view, John's most recent bio.

Very sorry for the confusion - I'm pretty sure it's related to a macro used to change an account to SK.

My best to all,

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    N4FZ, W0PV, AK5B and 3 others like this.
  14. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Unbelievable as it may sound, I only worked him once, in 2003.

The one other reason I'll remember him is the fact that I purchased the 4th edition of his book in Dayton in 2005, my first time at the Hamfest. What's the big deal, you may ask?

All the purchases I had made in Dayton were lost by the airline on my flight back. The only thing the was not was the book, as I had it with me to read during the flight. There may have been one other small item that was in the cabin with me, but I'm not sure.

N4FZ likes this.
  15. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you, thank you!!

N4FZ likes this.