ad: MyersEng-1

HR2.0 - Best HF Ham Radio Under $1000 - 6 Best HF Transceivers 2020

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Oct 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I got my license I got what I could afford, although I am glad I got a used radio an FT101 it helped me understand tube operated equipment so I had a good handle on things when I purchased a Linear Amp I still have it Ha Ha. The majority of my rigs where used The FTDX5000 I have now is used. If you are a new ham get your HF ticket ASAP. buy whatever you like and what is in your budget new or used and get on the air. Once you start making contacts and get a feel for HF then you will know what radio will work the best for your needs.

N0NEV and PY2NEA like this.
  2. AJ4LN

AJ4LN Ham Member QRZ Page

My first HF radio, shortly after I got my license (Extra), which was in 2008, was a (locally purchased) used Kenwood TS-570DG with power supply and desk mic for $500, which was a very good deal. I put up a G5RV (still up, mostly). I could have spent more, but I wanted something reasonably good to make sure I was really going to use it, which I did. Then a few years later, I was relly "itching" for something better, so I bought my current (locally purchased) used Kenwood TS-590S for $1050. At the time I was also interested in the more expensive Yaesu FTDX 3000, but the TS-590S was a good deal at the time, so I decided to get, and I haven't been disappointed, and no longer desired the more expensive (at the time) radio. I have since added a receive output and an SDRPlay RSP1 panadapter to my TS590S, along with the voice module and a TCXO, and it is a great combination. I'm not really "itching" for an upgraded radio at this time, but maybe someday I will be again. I am "itching" for better antennas, within the limits of what is possible within my HOA (i.e., won't be noticed).

N0NEV likes this.
  3. KK4CUL

KK4CUL Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I’ll admit I didn’t click the video. But I’ve gotta ask: WHY DO ALL THESE NEWS ARTICLES’ THUMBNAILS INVOLVE SOMEONE MAKING A SURPRISED CONSTIPATED FACE? It’s not just this article / video but most of the ones on the home page.

K4CK, M0TTQ, KC5HWB and 2 others like this.
  4. W7ETZ

W7ETZ Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-450D (recently discontinued) has an internal tuner so your chart should show $835 for it.

KC3PBI likes this.
  5. KC3PBI

KC3PBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice catch, thank you!

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 12.59.00 AM.png

AJ4LN likes this.
  6. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I walked through entire shack setups for that dollar amount and covered less expensive cases. I also noted that money can be saved by building your own antennas and power supplies, etc.

Thanks for watching.

KC5HWB and KC3PBI like this.
  7. KJ7OMD

KJ7OMD Ham Member QRZ Page

I do like your channel.

KC5HWB likes this.
  8. N1SFX

N1SFX Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the units with a detachable face as I run my units remote (add $500 later for the remoterig setup with WI-FI module).

The FT891 is ATAS compatible for the ATAS 120 antenna

The IC-7100 is a great starter all in one unit

Both are remote capable and keep that at the radio feel when using them with the remoterig setup, I use my Kenwood TS-2000 remotely with the RC-2000 head and my cell phone as a hot spot or through a TP link AC750 wireless travel router TL-WR902AC so I can access wireless connections.

Adding wireless connections to the remoterig requires logging into the remoterig unit which is hard to do from your phone with the remote rig set as DHCP.

So by setting up the TP-link as a wireless device on the remote rig you can access the TP-link from your phones web browser to add a new wireless connection from your favorite remote WI-FI friendly location.

For ~$900 I would recommend a slightly user newer serial number TS-2000 as it is an all in one box which has a great tuner, dual receive. Or a Ten-Tec Omni vII (with built in tuner).

TS-480SAT or (HX and a separate 200+ watt tuner and 40Amp PS if yo want that extra punch)

The Ten-Ten Omni Vii has a built in LAN port

http://www.catlog.net/_Descarregas/Manuals/30-Ten-Tec/Ten-Tec Omni_VII_brochure.pdf

“The OMNI-VII is the first HF transceiver to feature a plug-and-play Ethernet interface for remote control. It’s simple to hook up. Take the OMNI-VII to your remote location, and connect it to high-speed access via your router with an Ethernet cable. No computer is required at the remote location. Using our One Plug GUI software interface, you can then control all features and functions of the transceiver from a high speed Internet access point with your PC or laptop. Full transceive operation is supported. You don’t need a separate VOIP client for audio – receive audio is streamed via your sound card and transmit audio is via a microphone attached to your computer. CW operation is just as easy. Type characters on the computer keyboard and they are sent as transmitted CW by the radio. An optional USB keying module for iambic paddle use is planned.”

WD4IGX likes this.
  9. M0JFK

M0JFK Ham Member QRZ Page

7300 is damned good. I get contacts on the 7300 that I could not get before. I have had loads of HF rigs in this price range from Kenwood to Yaesu and this 7300 blows them clean out of the HF water. Now it could be due to conditions being up but I am gobsmacked at the stations I am getting and it is only a radio change, nothing else.

KC5HWB likes this.
  10. RL8C

RL8C Ham Member QRZ Page

I like RGO One tranciever. UFB reciever, simple and easy to operate. Best for me

11. N5WTF

N5WTF Ham Member QRZ Page

But how far will you reach when/if the internet goes down in your area? Everything has a purpose and use. I can go to online chat rooms and talk to people around the world also.

KC5HWB likes this.
  12. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

"Once there was a friend of mine
    Who died a thousand deaths
    His life was filled with parasites
    And countless idle threats.
    He trusted in a woman
    And on her he made his bets
    Once there was a friend of mine
    Who died a thousand deaths."

from Neil Young's Barstool Blues. Zuma 1975

KC5HWB and WE4B like this.
  13. WN1MB

You owe the puncuation piggy bank three apostrophes.

KC5HWB likes this.
  14. WN1MB

Because they think they're clever celebrities.

The upside is that their videos are easy to spot - AND IGNORE!

K4CK likes this.
  15. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If they are so easy to ignore, why do you reply to them all?