ad: UR5CDX-1

HR2.0 - Best HF Ham Radio Under $1000 - 6 Best HF Transceivers 2020

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Oct 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

You are replying about the new FTdx-10 but SAY FTDX101. Which are you referring to?

The 101 has some impressive scores in Sherwood's tests. I regularly enter the drawing on Gigaparts but given the cost of one I'd probably sell it (new in box, unopened) if I did win it, because I'd rather have that much money than a new radio. :)

If I WERE going to pay $4k or near-abouts for a new radio I've no question what it would be - Kenwood TS-890s. A friend just bought one and loves it. So yes I LIKE superhets/"old tech."

2. WD4IGX

That "temp discount" has been running literally as long as I remember. They just renew it when it expires.

KC3PBI likes this.
  3. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Plus to cover the taxes you'd have to pay on the item won...

4. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I owned and operated the Yeasu FT-891 in my 2017 Ford Explorer using the ATAS-120A; installed in 2018, and it really worked like a charm. Worked All States in a month, even in these rotten band conditions. Had a lot of fun, but I found I used the 6 meter side more on the daily commute. For short money, the radio, ATAS-120A, ferrites, and Diamond antenna it was under $1100.00USD. Cannot go wrong. Menus were easier than using an ICOM IC-706MKIIG. Highest recommendation.

5. WD4IGX

I'm pretty sure if you sell it promptly without using it you can pay taxes only on what you get for it, not the cash value, but I am neither an accountant nor a tax lawyer. I could pay the tax if I wanted to keep it, but I don't really. Almost certainly a very nice rig and I have a history of liking Yaesus but they are also known now for the menu system and, as I mentioned, if I were to buy a rig in that price range right now, it would be a TS-890s.

AJ4LN likes this.
  6. AJ4LN

AJ4LN Ham Member QRZ Page

The Kenwood TS-590SG is under $1300 at HRO, maybe consider adding it. And way cheaper used. I almost always buy used, unless it's a Baofeng, which is super cheap already. I've bought a dozen or more used radios including my Kenwood TS-590S, my TS-570DG, and my Icom IC-706MKIIG.

7. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Both, both dont take advantage of sdr tech , non direct conversion. Yaesu is marketing a legacy radio as sdr or sdr hybrid. Its old tech. no matter what Sherwood reviews say, its not better than a 7300 or 7610 because its not direct conversion and doesn't have the same capabilities. If I had the money and didn't mind(and i do) a pc in the shack to run things I would get a flex or Apache labs sdr. I used the ftdx101 along side the 480, 7100, 7300, 7610, 891, 991, 3000 and felt every radio performed better on rx except the 7100 and ts480. Reality is a new 101 doesnt sound different than a 891 , 991, 1200, or a 3000 so why pay 4k for a radio that doesn't sound better on TX than a entry level rig haha. personally i like the old ft1000d or ft1000mp.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  8. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

You would get a tax form from them with the full retail sales amount. In this case the amount is claimed as income obtained as an individual operating as a business. The tax amount is higher than regular income tax being from a "business." I know this because I had to claim prizes on my taxes this past year.

KD5BVX likes this.
  9. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought it was something like this. Thanks.

KK9W likes this.
  10. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Pay and sell cash paper $, problem solved. Just because you can, do that, always! not an importation operation from a sicko's third world country with 60% import duties.

We're sick of politicians
    Harrassment and laws...

11. WA9RHD

WA9RHD Ham Member QRZ Page

12. WA9RHD

WA9RHD Ham Member QRZ Page

Its a waste of time and money to buy anything other than the 7300.

If you don't have the bucks borrow them!

You can't beat the radio -- for thousands of dollars more!

Yaseau is junk, Alinco probably not much better -

Buy a used one -- I've seen them for $700-750 WHAT DO YOU WANT!!!

SV2HZF and KG7HVR like this.
  13. AA4MB

AA4MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bingo! Right on the mark. Simply put, when you factor in inflation, I don't imagine it's ever been cheaper to get into hamming - unless you're building the equipment yourself. Yes, there are folks who do that, but they are now by far the exception. Those complaining about entry level rig price are folks who are already involved in it, it appears to me.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  14. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

We are talking about an item hypothetically won as a prize, not purchased. Still responsible for the tax.

PY2NEA likes this.
  15. N0NEV

N0NEV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

While I was waiting for my new home to be built I bought a FT-891, and old MFJ-949E ATU that needed rebuilding and a Hy-gain AV-18vs antenna to play with FT-8. My usual gear was in one of 6 storage units that we had in northern nevada. The 891 was ran in a small shed I built while the wife and I lived in our RV. I found the little 891 to be very pleasant to run. Early on I logged a japanese ft-8 qso at around 25 watts and am still running it while I get around to unpacking my Ft-dx1200. I'm in no big hurry to unpack the 1200 as I like the 891 that much.

AJ4LN likes this.