ad: Flexradio-1

HR2.0 - Best HF Ham Radio Under $1000 - 6 Best HF Transceivers 2020

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Oct 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

How does it do for AM receive of SWBC? I've considered getting one for upstairs by the easy chair of my living room (the main ham shack is downstairs.) I'd use it for casual listening as well as casual operating HF/VHF/UHF.

2. WD4IGX

I agree to buy used IF one goes back maybe two generations (in which case you still get a very, very capable radio for a lot less money.)

The used prices of current model rigs astound me. I would never buy a used 7300, for example, if it only saved, as it seems to at BEST, 20% of the new price. I'd just buy new for that difference. But if that's a difference that means THE difference between buying one and not then of course that's a different matter.

3. WD4IGX

It's a relentless zombie, I tell you. Thing won't STAY dead!

WE4B likes this.
  4. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Works great for AM BC and SWLing. Also sounds good on AM transmit/receive on 160, 75, 40 etc. Can go up to 10 Khz bandwidth wide so it sounds nice. A big speaker is helpful and will fill the room with audio.

WD4IGX likes this.
  5. WU3U

WU3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I currently own a 7300 and did own the FT-891 for mobile/portable use. I have to say that the filtering on the FT-891 was better than the 7300 for pulling signals out. I sold the FT-891 mainly because I didn’t use it as much as I originally expected to but in the beginning it saw a ton of use. Although I eventually got used to the Yaesu menu system that deal with giving you a second or two to change bands drove me crazy. It’s still the better buy from a price standpoint but the 7300 is hard to beat in its price range as far as features and ease of use goes.

Just my two pennies.

6. WB9YTG

WB9YTG Ham Member QRZ Page

What rig you eventually settle on is less important than just getting on the air. Even a 20+ year old radio is better than nothing. And there are plenty of them available, sometimes for the asking.

AH7I, KC5HWB, UT7UX and 3 others like this.
  7. WD4IGX

Sounds like a BETTER approach to me.

PY2NEA likes this.
  8. WD4IGX

Many 20+ year old radios are BETTER than many you can buy brand new.

KC5HWB, K9UR and PY2NEA like this.
  9. N2RIC

N2RIC Ham Member QRZ Page

The FTDX10 is estimated to cost £1550, according to SWLing.com and a link they provide on their site. That’s approximately $2,000 in the U.S.

I’m only operating QRP at the moment, but all I’ve renewed my research for a QRO radio for my small home station.

PY2NEA likes this.
  10. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Then you're watching/reading the wrong news.

AJ4LN likes this.
  11. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

My way of thinking too.
    I bought my 7300 new.
    Why pay 900 for something used that you know nothing about. This way if theres a problem its my fault or icoms fault not someone who sold me a radio he knew he messed up.
    Ive bought many great radios for 200 or less. Heres my list.
    Icom 737 $180
    Yaesu ft450 w tuner$150
    Yaesu ft102 $125
    Ft101zd w yo100 scope $200
    Ts820 $200
    Ts830s $200
    Ts830 gold knob not working $75
    Ts440 $200
    Ft840 $200
    Ft901dm $80 no cord
    Ft901dm $180
    Ft101e $100
    Swan 270b $80 bad caps
    Those are just the ones i remember

WD4IGX and WB9YTG like this.
  12. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh great another pretend sdr "hybrid" so many fools think this FTDX101 is a direct conversion sdr. Lol! Its not that great for even a old tech radio w sdr driven panadapter. Played with one for a while at HRO. Overpriced ego junk.

13. KC3PBI

KC3PBI Ham Member QRZ Page

chart expanded with moar of what you love:

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 7.31.27 AM.png

KJ7OMD and AJ4LN like this.
  14. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd say ANY more or less working radio is better than nothing. Old, low-end, homebrew, whatever.

AJ6KZ and KC5HWB like this.
  15. WD4IGX

Yup. If I were going to buy a 7300 (and I've thought about it, but not seriously - I am far more likely to buy a 7100 for a "second shack in one box upstairs" and keep using the FT-990 downstairs in the main shack) there is no way I'd consider paying more than $750 for a used one, shipping included, and that would be pushing it and it had better have some accessories not included in the new price. Why would I pay more than that including shipping when I can get a brand new one with free shipping for $1000? It makes no sense to me but then hams are notorious tightwads ;) plus of course that $250 may make the difference between being able to buy one and not for some people - but in that case buy a less expensive out of production used rig and put the money into other items. I just doesn't add up to me, but apparently people are selling them because they appear then they are marked "sold" so I can't blame anyone for getting what they can out of something they are selling either.

PY2NEA and AJ6KZ like this.