ad: Radclub22-1

HR2.0 - Best HF Ham Radio Under $1000 - 6 Best HF Transceivers 2020

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Oct 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I call a built in tuner kind of a significant difference. Add a tuner to the 891 and you might as well get a used 7300. It's all about fit. Everyone wants to argue their point ad nauseum. No one can tell you what fits you except you. There are thousands of individual reviews of these radios. This video is just a compiled list of said radios. One might have to do more homework before deciding but we live in a society that wants an instant answer and it better be the answer I agree with. Kudos to Jason for even submitting his videos to this bunch.

N2RIC, W9FL, N3FAA and 1 other person like this.
  2. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

It's about the only choice (100w) left in the new market. Why on earth did they do away with the 857d and Kenwood the TS-480sat/hx? 100 watt portable goes to the 891 not because it's the best but because it's the last man standing. Well there is the 7100 that gets my attention more and more.

W9FL and KC5HWB like this.
  3. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

A built in transmatch/tuner with decent range would be a "significant difference". The 7300 matching range 3:1 per Icom is nothing like a proper transmatch. The built in transmatch in the Tentec Eagle is good for 10:1 range. My MFJ 998RT is good for 30:1 range. The MFJ 939 is $170 before discounts and handles a 32:1 range. 73, -bob

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    WD4IGX and AK5B like this.
  4. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Edit: removed due to other post being deleted by mod.

I will say...I am continually disappointed that other hams will be so negative toward others who are trying hard to promote and support the hobby. We won't all agree but there's no need to be rude and 'puke' on other people's posts...

W9FL and KC5HWB like this.
  5. W8WJW

W8WJW Ham Member QRZ Page

How about an article for getting a decent used HF rig, and for under $400 too?

KD2FWQ, W7FF, KD2MIC and 1 other person like this.
  6. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great idea, someone else brought this up before too. I am doing some research on it.

KB2SMS, AK5B, NS4WT and 2 others like this.
  7. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Since that is very subjective, probably could focus more on 'best practices for finding and buying a used radio' as far as what to look for, what to be cautious about, how to 'check out' the seller, etc. Good idea, though!

PY2NEA and KC5HWB like this.
  8. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed, and thanks for the support. Most of what I do is to help new Hams or people who want to become Hams, to learn about the hobby. I hope that those folks who are really new don't come in here much and see the awful way that some Hams treat other Hams. Thankfully that isn't the norm, though.

N2RIC, W9FL and KD5BVX like this.
  9. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, the 7100 is a solid cw radio. Agree. Only gap that I found is that you can't plug your USB cable directly into it and have the computer key the radio. It passes audio (but not DTR/RTS signals). To do that it takes a separate USB / Serial adapter plugged into the CW straight key jack in the back of the main body of the radio. What I like is that those interfaces can be had on ebay/amazon for $15 or so. https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-CW-morse-code-keying-cable-with-opto-isolator/254524752826

And also like that i can have the interface AND a paddle plugged in thereby using the internal cw keyer. Once you get over the form factor of a 2 piece unit (not ideal for portable ops with the extra wires and size) the performance is fine business. It also is a shack in the box allowing for 6M, VHF and UHF allmode capabilities.

WD4IGX likes this.
  10. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's the other Joe...W7JOE....but right on ! He is a nice guy...met him a few times.
    Enjoy those low budget, high performance hybrid radios! Great stuff.

11. N7JI

N7JI Ham Member QRZ Page

I used an 891 for two months. I noted that while transmitting, you couldn't change menus. You could modify a menu-based control that was already visible, but if you wanted to navigate to something that wasn't displayed, it couldn't be displayed until the radio switched back to RX. This seems to be a feature common to Yaesu menu-driven radios.

I don't like not being able to navigate through TX controls while transmitting. That would include keyer speed, mic gain, and the like.

That was one of the things that drove me from the Yaesu 891 and 991A to the Icom 7300...which I've never heard overloaded, even in contests (with a dipole).

Next best thing to a Flex or a K3 for 30% the price.

W9FL, K9GLS and PY2NEA like this.
  12. AA4MB

AA4MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

13. AA4MB

AA4MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

> "The majority of people having overload issues have no clue what they're doing, I hate to say. We added a mix of 7610s and 7300s to our Field Day aresenal the past couple years, and didn't have a single issue, even using amps."

I'm also seeing over the years that a lot of hams have forgotten the concept of how and when to use the RF gain control. 99% of the ops out there seem to leave theirs wide open, 100% of the time. I've dialed mine back to lessen fatigue if nothing else on every Yaesu, Kenwood and Icom I've ever owned.

K4NYX, M0TTQ, W9FL and 3 others like this.
  14. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I got my Tech license and then my General in late 2018, my wife said that she would give me equipment for Christmas. I was thinking maybe $1500. After looking into different rigs, I settled on a 7300. But by the time I bought the radio, a power supply, a paddle, etc. I was up to $1700 and my OCF antenna set me back another $220. I had looked at used rigs, but they seemed expensive and I was not experienced enough to assess the condition or fix any problems.
    I can’t compare the 7300 to many other rigs. I’ve used a K1, I have a Mountaintopper MTR-5B and a Xiegu G90. I can say that I have had a lot of fun with the 7300, made about 2000 contacts, worked a few contests and done a lot of QRP CW. I don’t regret the purchase.

PY2NEA likes this.
  15. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I've discussed HF gear with a number of new hams with limited funds. They've all been focused on the cost of the radio. Understanding what it takes to compile an enjoyably useable HF station, it's easier to plan. The first thing I usually recommend is using WebSDR or similar to get a feeling for bands, propagation, and activity. Then look at options for compatible antenna installation. 73, -bob

KG7HVR and AK5B like this.