ad: AbAuRe-1

HR2.0 - Best HF Ham Radio Under $1000 - 6 Best HF Transceivers 2020

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Oct 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No different than the News really.

WD4IGX and KO2Q like this.
  2. N7JI

N7JI Ham Member QRZ Page

The 7300 has a superb receiver. Incredible tools for contesting and DXing in a small and affordable package. I've been on the air for 35 years and used dozens of different HF radios for a variety of reasons (contesting, casual operating, DXing, Field Day). The only receivers I have used that I liked more were the K3, Omni V, and Omni VI. Then you add the fact that this radio includes a useful waterfall display, covers HF through 6 meters, easily connects through USB to a computer, takes up only as much room as the venerable IC-735, and costs under $1000 new, and you have a hands-down winner.

KB5UKT likes this.
  3. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The majority of people having overload issues have no clue what they're doing, I hate to say. We added a mix of 7610s and 7300s to our Field Day aresenal the past couple years, and didn't have a single issue, even using amps. But then again, we also use good coax, bandpass filters, etc. That concept is lost on a lot of people. As far as in-band signals, never experienced that either. I regularly get some of the big guns at S9+40 and WWV, for example, pegs the meter between +50 to +60 on a good day, and there is absolutely no overload, no distortion, nothing. My neighbor a few blocks away lights my waterfall right up with a +40 signal. No overload. So I don't know. At $800 or so on the used market, it would certainly be my choice if I were a new ham.

It certainly meets my approval! :D This is exactly what I have been saying for years. HF is no longer the holy grail of ham radio that it used to be. Your friend is spending hours working the world, while you spend hours listening to static. That will change with the sunspot cycle, and getting your general won't hurt. 20m and 40m are fantastic for DX, and you're going to have a great time once you get there! HF is a whole lot of fun. But as a new ham...how do we keep you interested? You're motivated to get your General ticket, but how many hams listen to static on 10m for days, and just say, "This is stupid, I'm getting out of ham radio" and never come back? This is why I'm a big proponent of giving Techs. a voice segment on every HF band. But I won't derail the thread any further. Welcome to the hobby, and good luck on the General!!

My top choices would be the 7300 and 7100. I like the 7100 a lot because it offers VHF and UHF as well, and when you figure you're going to spend a couple hundred bucks on a VHF/UHF handheld anyway, deduct that from the price and get a 7100 instead. I also like the ease of operating the 7300 and 7100 remotely. I don't know how many newer hams do that, but I do it all the time. And I'm not talking about operating remotely across the country or anything all the time. But my shack is downstairs, my bedroom is upstairs. I routinely operate from my bedroom while laying in bed watching my favorite TV show. It's fantastic! And of course, you get FT8 and the various digital modes that a lot of newer hams are into these days. SO simple with the 7300 and 7100. Not so much with others on the list, and some not at all, without buying other equipment.

KJ7OMD likes this.
  4. N7JI

N7JI Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have $500 to spend, you can find a used HF radio, antenna tuner, and power supply. Find yourself an elmer who is willing to advise you, and find something in decent shape that's a few years old. You will have a blast with it.

KJ7MX, WB2JIX, W2TH and 1 other person like this.
  5. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

But how will i make you tube clicks?
    I love my $75 ts830 Joe. Even came with the fancy knob!
    Got $100ft101zd also. And ft102 for $150. All better than my 7300 and 891 in my opinion but its all subjective.
    People really dont need inexperienced you tube experts explaining to the masses why everyone should follow their que.
    I look to older hams and take it with a grain of salt.
    FYI, I sat in on a few of your talks in grants pass. Always good.
    Got my general and extra there to.

W2TH likes this.
  6. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I run two 891's One mobile one portable. Great radio for both. For the mobile the front panel is perfect in size and easy to see, once you get the hang of the menus on operation its a breeze. It has a great receiver too. I can say its the best mobile HF rig I have run so far.
    For portable its at the right price point that I won't lose sleep if I mess it up in the field and can do 100 watts if needed.

KC5HWB likes this.
  7. KD2MIC

KD2MIC Ham Member QRZ Page

At what point did $1000 become "on a budget"?

N4RBZ, W7FF, G3SEA and 2 others like this.
  8. AK4BQ

AK4BQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, opinions are just that, opinions. Lab reports done to what standard? Just buy what you personally like and can afford.
    Myself, I like those $10,000 radios, but can I afford them, nope! So I settle on my preferences in a radio that I can also not only
    afford, but get enjoyment out of the functions of the radio.

W9FL and KC5HWB like this.
  9. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑
    You hardly read a «$1.000 complete station» paper. Half that budget for the transceiver, the other $ spent on antenna(s), analyser, coax, connectors, switches, matching device, dummy load, QRM dephaser, PSU, key/bug, speaker, filters, ferrites, headphones, microphone...
    Ain't strange, a transceiver alone never made a whole station.

AD0MV likes this.
  10. W2TH

W2TH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Since no designation was made as to the rig being new or used under $1000.00, I would definitely go with a slightly used rig. Get more bang for your buck. I purchase my TS590SG with TXCO installed, all accessories included in new condition for $900.00. I couldn't be happier with the rig.

AK5B and KC5HWB like this.
  11. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

The first under $1000 radio is $1095. Doh!

Video is not very helpful for decision making. The actual radios do not appear. There is no side by side comparison. No sample of how they sound or operate. Online videos of individual radios are helpful WRT interface and operation but with differing locations and antennas are not good for comparing performance.

Something to keep in mind for budgeting is antenna (trans-match if needed), power supply, cables and wires, key or microphone, operating desk, maybe a computer. Even without the computer, it's easy to spend another $250+++. Power supply $125, trans-match $250, key $90, Desk(home built) $200, wire, insulators, cord, and feed line for doublet $160. Add some tools, soldering iron, SWR bridge, noise bridge, $250 +++ more. Want a directional antenna? $ Want to get on 160? $ Want to get on 6 $

If going by specs, spec wise on Sherwood's site, the only significant difference between 7300 and 891 is the close in dynamic range. Unless you've a ham neighbor or running multiple rigs in close proximity on the same band, is it really worth the extra $ for that? Sensitivity and noise floor specs are essentially the same.

73, -Bob ah7i

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    KB2SMS, WW4DX, AD0MV and 3 others like this.
  12. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed, great point.

13. KC5HWB

Actually I did say that I was talking about new radios that are currently in production (except the FT-450D which was recently discontinued but you can still find them new in some stores until inventory runs out)

But yes...your point about used gear is spot-on. Lots of the comments I have received have asked me to give my opinion on what a think a good price is on used gear. That is hard to do without seeing the product and knowing what kind of condition it is in. But lots of my radios were purchased used, it is a good market to be aware of.

14. KC5HWB

And once you mail in the $100 rebate to Icom, what does that leave you with?

PY2NEA likes this.
  15. KC5HWB

Agreed, this is a great choice for mobile operation, and a newer design and filtering than the IC-7100