ad: portazero-1

How does that J-pole really work?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AF7NX, Oct 28, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. AF7NX

AF7NX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The ubiquitous J-pole is not them most intuitive antenna in the world. Gary Rondeau, AF7NX, explores the J-pole using the 4NEC2 modeling program to shed some light on this common design.
    [​IMG]
    Modeling the J-pole

SA1CKE likes this.
  2. KX4O

KX4O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice info.

The Wikipedia page on the J-Pole is in pretty good shape, mercifully short (encyclopedic), exceptionally well referenced (for a Wikipedia article), and is the goto place to learn past and current details.

3. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting read at the WIKI link.
    Apparently 6 pounds of copper pipe can be made to radiate, but there is NO advantage over a 19 inch long vertical piece of 12 gauge bare copper wire.

KR3DX likes this.
  4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds like a VHF version of the Double Bazooka dipole, lots of smoke and mirrors. I built one decades ago from 450 Ohm ladder line and hung it indoors from an attic roof rafter to access the old DX cluster and some friends on Simplex. It did the job but my hilltop location did most of the work.

A ground plane for 2M (and 135 cm) was built from PVC plumbing parts and #10 solid, I didnt have any 12 handy. They were mounted just above the roof line, about 6' apart, and far outperformed the J in many Simplex comparisons during VHF contests.

Carl

KR3DX likes this.
  5. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

End fed Zeppelin antenna....

Dont ask what you can do with a J-pole
    Ask what a J-Poler can do for you

6. KX4O

KX4O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Two potential advantages of the typical J over 1/4 wave GP:
    • Slightly higher gain... not much, but measurable and repeatable.
    • Robust DC ground antenna design.

7. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Poorly?
    For my location a 2m ground plane has always outperformed j-poles exponentially.

KR3DX and KM1H like this.
  8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

If one person started selling all the snake oil antennas under one name he could get real rich real fast. Add "Miracle" to the names for another boost.

KR3DX likes this.