ad: CQMM-1

Lab599 Discovery TX-500 - A different perspective

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Sep 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

The negative part first. I may have mixed you up with someone who has been hounding me on other networks almost word-for-word with some of the things you've said here. Apologies if you're not him. Wasn't being spiteful, the similarities were that close.

About the other channels. You know I generally like to walk alone. My work speaks for itself. No clickbait, no sensationalism, just see if it does what it says on the box, then tell people what I found out and how to apply that in the field. No bikini-clad females on the channel, no giveaways, no BS. Still, it's my flavor. Others have unique flavors of Their Own, and I don't have to watch. Still I'm happy they make content in a flavor for someone who does like to watch. Whatever the flavor, it doesn't mean we're all getting paid or selling out, or not telling the entire truth. I've sent back gear which was absolute trash. I've lost hundreds of subs at a time, for calling out manufacturers, ... so when you throw us all into a " profiting" pot, it's an unfair statement. Be careful spreading opinions as truth.

To your points though. If I'm sent something for review and it's so bad that I would have to crush it in a video, I provide feedback to the manufacturer or distributor who sent it. This way they have an opportunity to correct the faults in the system, before I ever release a video. If they feel there's no point to correct the faults, I ask them to send a shipping label, so that I can send the equipment back. If they don't do that, the gear goes in the trash. There's full disclosure.
    J oh8stn

2. KI4POT

KI4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It would be interesting to have defined what "rugged" means in terms of amateur radio and have that standard tested. Something like drop testing, exposure to moisture, high/low temps, etc.

I had an 817nd for 13 years, modified it extensively, and used it almost exclusively in the field (reference this post to see the sort of places I took it). I even took it on trail runs in a well secured Camelback pack so I could stop during my run, set the station up, operate for a bit, then continue my run. Not to mention numerous camping and hunting trips in the US Appalachian Mtns. It held up fine for those activities.

I just recently purchased a used KX2 with all the bells and whistles (ATU, Battery, Charger), as well as a number of aftermarket accessories (side rails, heatsink, top cover, padded case). I've taken it on one SOTA activation that was a short hike distance-wise (1 mile each way), but more bushwhacking and orienteering than hiking, and a handful of impromptu field "deployments" to the woods in this area. I haven't yet done any runs or camping trips with it yet, but those are coming (runs as soon as I find a better pack, it won't fit in the Camelback).

Having used both radios and having looked inside both, I'm not convinced one is more "rugged" than the other. The 817 is certainly heavier, but it lacks any sort of water ingress protection (there's a freaking speaker grill on top!) and also lacks shock absorption.

Regarding the TX-500, while the product lit references shock and water resistance, I don't see how it achieves either. From pics, I don't see that the chassis is sealed at the seams (just tight fitting), nor does there appear to be any shock absorption where the circuit boards are mounted to the chassis. If so, this means any shock to the chassis will be transmitted to the boards, potentially damaging components. Again, this does not appear to be an improvement over other radios. A drop might result in a failure invisible to the eye, but still catastrophic to the functionality. It is likely more durable than other radios, but without an objective test standard, I don't know if it's slightly more or substantially more durable than its competition. I'm concerned its durability is more for show...

All that said, I'm not against the TX-500. I find it interesting and hope it starts a trend toward more outdoors-oriented ham gear for those of us not interested in home-based operation. In the HT arena, the old Yaesu VX-7r was a pretty good attempt, let's get the same in our HF rigs.

Chris

G0NMD, N1IPU and OH8STN like this.
  3. W9AC

W9AC Subscriber QRZ Page

Admittedly, I'm in the minority here. While at a campsite, I prefer an external tuner, 600-ohm open feeder lines, and one tall tree to support a 40m-10m inverted Vee. My campsite choice is made based on proximity to trees. For multiband operation, a simple inverted Vee at 40 ft., fed with open-feeder line, will significantly outperform (and out-model) just about any portable vertical antenna except for one dipped into the edge of a saltwater beach.

Unless I'm backpacking, I use a highly efficient <gulp> Johnson Matchbox (275W version) sitting on a picnic bench or inside my tent. Yep, the matchbox is larger than the rig, battery, and accessories combined. But, from the comfort inside a tent, I can tune all bands with superlative RF efficiency and attain excellent DX and local performance from the inverted Vee. Maybe one day I can figure out how to load the rig and accessories into the Matchbox cabinet while not damaging the internal components!

Paul, W9AC

N1IPU, WN1MB, KL7KN and 1 other person like this.
  4. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope you noticed the part of my post where I noted I was thinking about buying TX-500. :)

5. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

The Tx-500 caught my eye for 2 reasons. Form factor and the appearance of weather sealing.

Now that the rig has transitioned from vaporware to a shipped product, I'm keeping an eye on it.

Since I own a KX2, I just went ahead, got the armor kit/cover and a nice dry bag. At my age, one doesn't stand out in the rain and try to work HF....I did way too much of that while active duty with my PRC radios.

Could Elecraft have put a heavy duty case on the rig?
    Sold the rig with a $0.50 cover for the key port? Not left the programming interface exposed?

Sure. But $0.03 worth of electrical tape fixed the case/board exposure 'issue'.

I have to believe Elecraft built the radio for the majority of the operator - folks that have the $ to purchase the rig.
    Those decisions are why the radio is built the way it is.

The Tx-500 is nice, but - I'm more excited about the QCX Mini that should hit the market in the very near future. I'm very happy with my SW-3B. I had a MFJ-9200 (HS-1A) and at one time, a PFR-3A, but both went out the door, replaced by the SW-3B. The reason is - form factor.

My point? I'm looking for a small, solid QRP radio (CW or SSB) that is light, and easy to use in the field. IOW Trail Friendly. Not everyone cares for that aspect.

Closing - I'm happy to watch the videos about different rigs. Some contain technical material and others seem to focus on the operations side.
    I rarely make a purchase decision based on a video.
    I'm still 'happy' that the folks produce the videos - and that I get to make my decision based on my criteria.... The videos are part of the decision process.

Again, my thanks tot he OP for taking the time to shoot, edit and post the video - that is real work and time invested.

AJ6KZ likes this.
  6. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Very practical solution there.

7. N1IPU

Always like your channel Julian. Your very clear about what and how your doing with equipment in your vids. I tend to be Yankee frugal so generally pessimistic on new equipment and manufacturers. I have to see a lot of reviews before I pull the trigger.
    The 500 interests me at the price point it actually is but I will wait a while to see how people do with it. Still would spend twice the price or more if someone made a full waterproof and hardened rig that proved reliable and had good support. Digital doesn't even matter except for maybe JS8 call. You cannot rely on any of that if GPS goes dark except JS8. You turned me on to that too.
    As a side note we got hit hard by straight line winds two days ago. My town was without power along with many others. I lost some huge maples. Every wire, the mast and all antennas succumbed before they hit my house. Sitting at the radios one came down on top of me but luckily stopped just above my head. Going to be mobile or portable only for a while now as I have to find temporary digs. But with all that I noticed many repeaters were down with the loss of power (crazy). My towns share the public safety tower so it was up on generator but many others not. Peoples cellphone were spotty at best a few hours later as some cell sites dropped and internet by smartphone slows to a crawl when major fiber goes down. It makes one understand that portable ops and HF will be key in more serious circumstances. So keep up the good work, Your doing a real service.

8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Mark: Sorry to hear of your recent weather related damage. Tragic, but as long as nobody was injured, "things" can be rebuilt or replaced. Hang in there, brother.

9. N6NLX

N6NLX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Julian,

Yes, I did watch it. For me it’s isn’t about the Elecraft fragility. I’m not a mountain topper. My reason for lack of use is due to boredom with the hobby. I’ve been doing qrp for many years so I’m not one of those who jumps in to try it and gives up. Over the years I’ve built several pieces of qrp gear and antennas. I was one of those that strung wire through the trees while out camping and used a manual tuner to load them. I still have one of the Super Antenna YP-3 portable beam antennas. I really like that antenna. I think it’s more because I’m kind of burned out on ham radio at the moment.
    I do like new tech when it comes to new toys. I would like to see one of the TX500 radios in person to get an idea of its size and feel. HRO doesn’t have them at the moment.
    One of the nice things about ham radio is that you can get burned out for awhile and put it away. Then something comes along and re-ignites the spark and I’m back in with both feet.

Thanks for the reply.

Don N6NLX

AJ6KZ likes this.
  10. N1IPU

Thanks, I'm good as the only real loss was antennas but the Yaesu rotator survived so not so much expense. Rest is insured. Was a strange one though. No warning whatsoever. 15 seconds of shaking then bang, trees down all around, It was gone just as quick.

11. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

The typical "chicken and egg" problem. If you need to clove your first piece of wood with your Brusletto knife, you need a log to hammer on it. Now there's a radio you can use for that :D

WN1MB likes this.
  12. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Their web site mentions o-rings aroung pot-shafts. Not sure about a seal between both housing halves. As for shock absorption: electonics can handle a fair amount of shock. I design marine electronics and some devices get tested for IEC/EN 60945, which is required for ships sailing under SOLAS regulations. One of the tests is a vibration test and another is a drop test from 1.1 meter height. The products survive without any special measures to the suspension of PCB's. Just four screws to the chassis.

AJ6KZ likes this.
  13. KI4POT

KI4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I saw the o-rings around the shafts, but I was looking for confirmation the chassis halves were similarly waterproofed.

That's interesting about the vibration and drop testing. I would have expected more isolation was needed. Is there a standard at which isolating the PCB from the chassis is necessary? Does achieving the 60945 standard require special soldering and assembling practices?

Chris

14. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting question. It makes me think about the stuff they launch to Mars. The custom electronics boards are mounted directly into chassis. The chassis are then mounted directly to the spacecraft. The spacecraft is bolted to the delivery vehicle. The entire spacecraft goes through vibration testing and during launch there is a LOT of vibration.

Still, I don't think I'd try to chop down a tree with the spacecraft.

15. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a spacecraft, to treat everything as if it were a tree.

AJ6KZ and PA0MHS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.