ad: elecraft

Lab599 Discovery TX-500 - A different perspective

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Sep 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Very well said!
    Julian oh8stn

M1WML likes this.
  2. OH8STN

To be fair I've already said it's nice to have a tuner so that I don't have to go outside the shelter to adjust my antenna. I'm not really a big fan of external tuners because it's a lot of finger fiddling. Even so, it's not a big deal and it's an easy task. I really don't understand this automatic everything mentality in the world today. The good news is, there are choices on the market today. If someone wants a radio with a tuner, they can certainly have one. I recently reviewed the g90 and the x5105. Both with tuners both with their own unique capabilities. Sometimes though, it would be nice to chop down a tree with your radio, and knowing you won't damage your radio in the process :)
    Julian oh8stn

M1WML likes this.
  3. OH8STN

I 100% agree. They were some parts of the video which I removed in final edit for I said basically built like a Russian tank. It's not sexy, but it's hard working and gets it done! I'm not a fanboy oc one country's engineering philosophies over another, but I am a fanboy of well-made radios.
    Thanks for the comment and the kindness, It's very much appreciated.
    Julian oh8stn

M1WML likes this.
  4. OH8STN

This is total bollocks. If you add up the cost of the ft817/ft818 after adding an unobtainium filter (single filter port), dsp, buy cat control cable, the FR-81x actually costs more than a TX500 which has that and more built in. Nevermind the 8qx is not weather tolerant at all, or the unreadable display.
    Come on, show some freaking objectivity. Its fanboys who make manufacturers think we'll take what they give us. The 817 was innovative in 2000. The 818 is garbage in 3020!
    Julian oh8stn

M0TTQ, K7HEP and M1WML like this.
  5. OH8STN

You constantly attack people on various platforms. Ur like those mosquitoes we have here in the Arctic during the summer months.
    I don't take money for reviews, I don't pull any punches on reviews, and if someone won't loan me a radio for a review, someone else usually does. Haters keep talking about profit, but my channel is loss-making. It's not a business. My channel is my way of giving back to a community I'm passionate about. Josh, Bob, Jason, Commsprepper, Guerrillacomms, Smokin Ape, 100 watts and a wire, and many others, all put themselves out there to provide good content to the community. There's a different flavor for everyone. If you don't like the flavors, I would suggest you come up with your own and share your content, putting yourself out there.
    No amount of the hate you share every day, will change the fact that this tx500 is an absolute brilliant surprise for amateur radio. Nobody has to pay me to say that!

N8DAH, PA0MHS, KE7DUX and 4 others like this.
  6. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I respectfully disagree. The TX-500 is selling on HRO for $789.95. The KX2 without a tuner sells on Elecraft for $804.95.

M1WML likes this.
  7. OH8STN

Can't find that on HRO site, but on Elecraft site, with everything required (not included for 804.95 I suppose)
    The KX2 Shack-In-A-Box includes:
    • KX2 80-10 M SSB/CW/DATA Transceiver
    $1296,60.
    - 80-10 vs 160-56
    - Plastic vs aluminium and wx proof
    - optional tuner vs none.
    Both are great options, but a KX2 would survive about 3 minutes in the field here. That's why rugged options are good. I would love to see a rugged kx2 at that 800 Bucks price.
    Julian oh8stn

AH7I and M1WML like this.
  8. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, hang on a second. If you are going to compare against a radio that has no internal tuner shouldn't you be making a comparison that is closer to being accurate? Also, I'm not sure where you get the "plastic" description from. The KX2 has a plexiglass cover for the display but the radio case is metal.

I am not arguing against the TX-500, by the way. I'm still considering getting one even though it is less suitable for my purposes than the KX2. It's just a neat looking radio.

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-017255

M1WML likes this.
  9. HB9PJT

HB9PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks to me like you have never seen a KX2.That's because its body is aluminum, not plastic, as you write.

The original price of the KX2 is 805 USD and for the TX-500 790 USD. If you compare prices, you should add everything you need to the TX-500. You have to look at the price objectively. Both devices have a practically identical price. You don't have to list things that make the KX2 more expensive, but which are not available for the TX-500.

For me, the KX2 is a much better device.When I use portable QRP, I always want to use the optimal band for propagation so that I have a good chance for good DX-QSO with the low power. In addition I want to be able to switch the band as fast as lightning.But this is not possible with a monoband antenna, it works best with a broadband tuner like in the KX2 and a multiband universal antenna, like a NCDF doublet or a vertical wire antenna. Without a quick band change to the band with the optimal propagation, you will miss the DX. The KX2 is perfect for this.

I also want to have only one box. I don't want to tediously plug together battery, tuner, TRX etc. in the field.That is what the KX2 is for.

I also want to have the lightest equipment when I'm on the road or on vacation. There is nothing better than the KX2.

The performance of the KX2 is also top notch, which I really appreciate. Equivalent to some big station TRXs. There is no other device with this reception quality at this price!

73, Peter - HB9PJT

M1WML and AJ6KZ like this.
  10. G0UUT

G0UUT Ham Member QRZ Page

nice unit good radio for sure however one man company no email address you can even order one try to contact some other company no answer no support no point

11. OH8STN

The point of this video is a rugged ham radio, with excellent receiver, at an affordable price. Something manufacturers have neglected the community until now. People keep saying how good the kx2 is, but the 800$ price gets you a radio, and nothing else. No tcxo, no charger, no battery, no tuner, no 6 meters, no weather protection, no microphone(?). The kx2 can't be charged in the field, and has to have the battery removed in order to charge it. Regardless of how good the RX is, it is not designed for extended field Comms. It seems better suited for an afternoon on a park bench (which is ok).

I wish the kx2 community would enjoy their rigs, and let the rest of us enjoy not choosing a kx2. Lack of a tuner is not a deal breaker, for many. Personally, I think the Xiegu x5105 is a far better value for someone on a budget looking for kx2 form factor. For someone operating in harsh conditions, I believe the tx500 is a better choice than the kx2. I don't hate the kx2, but would rather have a radio designed for the field.

I've only spent a few hours with a kx2 a few years ago. It is a beautiful radio, and no one is arguing it's legendary performance. It simply isn't rugged.
    Julian oh8stn

12. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I stood corrected on the price. Still using 817 and 857 though and yet to see such a great jump other than the radio claims to be weather proof. Now my 857 has done thousands of sea miles and been through two hurricanes on a 41 footer. It has had more salt spray than a ford test mule and even though its ugly it still works. I appreciated your review of the 818 and haven't had a second glance. For 800 bucks though the 500 seems decent but I will hold till its had some miles behind it. Also I am not sure of the customer service. So far I have had two radios to Yaesu and though not five star they did fix both in a timely manner. Those things do come into play. I am probably a Yaesu/Standard fanboy. Had very good luck with the brand in hard service unlike the other two majors. But, that includes aviation and marine radios. Bought a second 891 and a 991a last year and both I am very happy with. The first 891 gets pounded in a 3/4 ton truck and it has around 75k of bounce so far with only one issue when I first got it. The display went dark and HRO swapped it on the spot. Only issue I have had in years now. If that makes me a fanboy so be it.

I agreed with your 818 vid and have stated same here before. That may make me less of a fanboy though.

13. N1IPU

Let's not get SJW ok? I actually support a couple of channels but none you mention. I more appreciate those who make videos for information's sake and dislike the ones who it's all about them. Most of the latter have gone overboard posting here with little or no info past vying for celebrity. I like your vids as its mostly about the subject matter.
    Past that most don't draw the line between promotion and objective review and that to me is an issue that needs discussion.

Your opening statement needs validation also as the only platforms I have commented on is Qrz and maybe Youtube and there I could count on one hand. Be careful of what you put in print that is untrue.

14. OH8STN

Fair enough. You know I have in the past Bay but Yaesu fanboy. Carried the 817 since 2000. Also had 897, 857 FT-100, VX-x. I also have the Vertex Standard VX 1210 which I love. I believe we need to encourage forward motion when manufacturers even small ones, come up with something we've been waiting for. I was heartbroken when Yaesu decided to sell off its Vertex Standard brand to Motorola. I was also heartbroken when Yaesu discontinued the ft-897. Still I bought the ft-891, but admittedly was disappointed that he didn't have an internal audio interface like the 991 Alpha. From my perspective, Yaesu is focusing on contest radios, and has put literally zero effort into portable radios since the release of the ft817nd. That's why radios like the tx500 are so important. If we just keep throwing our skepticism out there, these small manufacturers have no incentive to develop any innovative answers to that which is lacking from the big manufacturers. I know I pick on the elecraft kx series, but now we know it is possible to produce a radio with well-designed thermal protection, with weather proofing, with watertight connectors. When we see this type of innovation, we have to ask ourselves why didn't Elecraft do something like that!? Why didn't the Yaesu ft-818 come out with something like that!? I believe it's because companies like Elecraft, like Yaesu, ... have become lazy. FT-818 and KX4 should follow the design lead of the tx500.

Anyway, I don't think we have to love our chosen radios any less, but we should be open minded and objective regarding new developments in the community. In this case the tx500. By the way I'm kind of tired of the increased polarisation in the community. I'd rather spend that energy supporting innovative portable radio designs.

Julian oh8stn

15. N1IPU

All fair, Same with me when Yaesu sold off Standard. I also agree with Yaesu going contest mode. Not a fan of contesting today. It's the wild west during most contests now and there is no room for a Qso or net when the big contests are running.
    Those who promote contesting should put band limits in place to discourage the hoards from shutting the band down. Yaesu would do well to watch your 818 vid. They could learn a lot.
    Now the 500 I will keep an eye on. If it is as bulletproof as you say I will buy one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.