ad: chuckmartin

FCC proposes new filing fee structure, new fees for ham radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KU3N, Aug 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KG7A/SK2022

KG7A/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  2. KG7A/SK2022

KG7A/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, Great Point... I saw that in Sec 9 (e) Exceptions. I think it's better to read more and get a better understanding of Ray Baum's Act.

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Who did you email?

Should have been your division director...

4. W1XYZ

W1XYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The right is in the laws of physics, the natural laws that pervade all of our existence, the right that is explicitly inherent in the Communications Act that says the airwaves are the domain of Congress and the people and not corporations. The infinite rights granted in the universe that electromagnetic radiation defines. The same right as you have to share the roadways with others. The right to communicate with others freely.

W0PV, K4RZM and N6ATF like this.
  5. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

They made it known since the week the NPRM came out that their intent was to file comments in opposition. On August 28:

"
    The Ray Baum’s Act does not exempt filing fees in the Amateur Radio Service. The FCC dropped assessment of fees for vanity call signs several years ago.

ARRL is reviewing the matter and intends to file comments in opposition
    ."

6. KB8NXO

KB8NXO Ham Member QRZ Page

Wouldn't ya think that the millions the FCC gets selling off the spectrum would cover the cost of running the ULS? Maybe they don't need the money, they need a money manager. Just saying...

N6ATF likes this.
  7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

"The FCC collects regulatory fees and processing fees. Congress authorizes our authority to impose and collect such fees. Application processing fees are deposited in the U.S. Treasury and are not available to the FCC."
    More here.
    https://www.fcc.gov/licensing-databases/fees

WN1MB likes this.
  8. K0OLD

K0OLD Ham Member QRZ Page

The disaster relief was help SATERN at a Main ST. Location give food and water and ice and personnel supplies to victims. Also assisted in S/R in bldgs for survivors in Joplin 2011. Also worked 2012 Tornado that went down the strip in Branson and out by Kimberling city and down Joe Bald road. Check my page for Pictures from both incidents. That is just a couple. But should get the general idea. Hope this answers your inquiry. 73

W1YW, K4RZM, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought the last line rang true so I went and looked for myself. Sure as $#!&
    FCC filing.PNG

So, now what? Send in my screen shot to the FCC filing site? What would Arlo say....

Just think, if two people a day, two people, sent this in, they would think they we're nuts and ignore them.
    If three people a day, just three people, sent this in; they would suspect a conspiracy.
    And if ten people a day, ten people, sent this in, they might suspect we can read. :eek:
    So if you want to end tyranny and stuff, you have to read. Even when you don't want to. :cool:

Reading is important people.
    I just had that lesson rammed home yet again, and wonder if this thread would even be necessary if we as people would just read a little.

Clearly someone at FCC isn't. I thought these were lawyers and not engineers. Are they that inept at their job or just hoping we would roll over?
    Not sure which is worse..... :mad:

So, what's it going to be? Now what? What do the usual suspects have to say now?

KB8NXO, VK4HAT and WJ4U like this.
  10. W4XA

W4XA Ham Member QRZ Page

What a relief! The sky isn't falling after all!!

AH2AP and WZ7U like this.
  11. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Reading IS important. And if you read it, hams are exempt from regulatory fees. This proposal is for application fees, which are a different animal. Hams are not exempt from the law covering these application fees.

12. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a feeling.....
    raybaum2.PNG

Go to page 737, for something we already went over.

Our legal inability to be pecuniary should cover that.

I'm reading as completely as I can here fellas.

W0PV, W1YW, K4RZM and 1 other person like this.
  13. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

So what you are saying Eric, is who needs reading and comprehension skills when ranting and raving for 77 pages will suffice HAHAHAHAHA, this thread goes down in Zed history of classic adventures in misinformation. HaMs are good communicators my foot, hahaha.

WZ7U likes this.
  14. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC considers a "non commercial radio or TV station" to be a specific thing. Not everyone who is a non-commercial entity qualifies. The line above that talks about "non-profit entities", but the exemption is only for the specified radio services. If they wanted hams to be exempt from these application fees (which they should be), then it needed to be written into the law, like the other exemptions.

15. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

It. Is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.