ad: portazero-1

Lets Get Hamfests up and going again

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports & Videos' started by KD2UHF, Sep 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD2UHF

KD2UHF Ham Member QRZ Page

Tell where there are upcoming hamfests

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

You could certainly start here:

http://www.arrl.org/hamfests-and-conventions-calendar

But good luck - it's likely going to be a pretty long time before ham fests as we knew them are back.

Outdoor parking lots / tail-gate fests maybe.... but for the foreseeable future, I'm pretty sure the days of packing thousands of hams inches apart, crammed into crowded isles are over.

Dave
    W7UUU

W3SWL, N3VEZ, W4NNF and 5 others like this.
  3. VE3GCX

VE3GCX Ham Member QRZ Page

That statement does not bode well for Dayton. Still scheduled for 6 months away. Lets hope.
    I'm going through hamfest withdrawal.

Graham
    Ve3gcx

4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think we all have to worry about the next 3 months and the holidays before we can start thinking about hamfest.
    Breathing is more important to me than a hamfest/ in the mean time I've been making lots of contacts on the air.

WD4ELG, W4NNF and N4UP like this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

You're really hoping to cram in face-to-face, inches from thousands of other hams in tight isles in a hot sweaty room for days?

Are you really thinking venues by Spring will be willing to take on this liability and responsibility?

I don't see that happening - but totally understand others may have other views.

Dave
    W7UUU

W4NNF, KC1HLU and K0UO like this.
  6. KD2UHF

KD2UHF Ham Member QRZ Page

Outside might be an option for hamfests

WV8DCR and N9LCD like this.
  7. VE3GCX

VE3GCX Ham Member QRZ Page

Realistically, No!. Nor would I fault, any organization that decided to play it safe. That said, I still miss hamfests and hope for their return. Hamvention and NEARFest are the 2 biggies that I travel to the US for. Right now I know of only person that crosses the border right now, he owns the family farm in MA and needs to check on it, but lives in Canada and has both US and Canadian Passports so gets through border checks on "citizen returning home". The price though, is enforced 2 weeks of home quarantine when returning to Canada. Our federal government does check that the quarantine is observed.
    With respect to Dayton The conferences have ample empty spaces and the inside commercial vendors I will visit them Thursday or Sunday morning before the herd arrives and after it departs. The outside usually has plenty of space.

This virus is not going away anytime soon. According to that which I have read in The Economist Magazine, clinically confirmed, second infections of people that have already had and recovered from Covid-19, have occurred.
    This would lead me to believe the antibodies generated do not last long or the virus mutates rapidly. Hence a vaccine's effects would also be short term.

Graham
    Ve3gcx

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    WV8DCR likes this.
  8. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They are planning on having the Orlando Hamvention 2-11-2021 to 2-14-2021 I'm on their web page....
    I'm planning on driving down,and maybe driving to Miami, and Key West.
    It all depends on the virus and other stuff.
    I flew to Orlando in 2016,and then drove to Key West and back up to Miami for their ham convention.then back to Orlando found some time to do some metal detecting on the beach

I would almost like to spend a 1-3 months,just metal detecting up and down the 30 miles plus beach,that they have .Would also like to do the same in Hawaii

9. W7UUU

Remember that it's NOT up to the organizer - it's up to the event space owner

Dave
    W7UUU

10. KA7RRA

That is true I'm hopping though...

11. W7UUU

Me too brother - me too

Dave
    W7UUU

12. KA7RRA

I would like to go to Gator Land again,and see Wally Gator

13. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That will happen...the question is "when." I tend to thing the next 3 - 4 months will determine things. If there's not a huge explosion of virus cases this fall/winter and if there's an effective and safe vaccine I think spring hamfest season may be on.

Unfortunately...the cases are trending up again already here in early fall, supposedly the strain infecting people is more easily transmissible now, flu season is coming on top of that, whether there will be an effective and safe vaccine anytime soon is an open question, and more than a few--including people 60+ years old--STILL don't take the threat seriously.

If I had to guess? No Orlando Hamcation, no Dayton...maybe Huntsville in August. I hope to be proven wrong, of course. :(

14. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

Just learned earlier today

https://sites.google.com/hamcom.org/ham-com

It is with a heavy heart that I write this letter about the future
    of Ham-Com. After 41 years, Ham-Com has decided to close its doors in
    lieu of the restrictions in place for COVID-19 and the rising costs of
    putting on a show. The decision was not made lightly, but the safety and
    wellness of our volunteers, vendors, clubs, presenters, and attendees is
    our paramount concern.

We sincerely thank each and every person for their support over the
    past years. This starts with clubs who have participated in offering
    forums, transmitter sessions, VE sessions, talk-ins, and many more
    things through the years. Next, to the commercial and flea market
    vendors who have helped new hams get their first radio to established
    hams who are building the ultimate ham shack, we thank you for returning
    year over year. To the volunteer staff, functional directors, and access
    control, your dedication and hard work have contributed to the continued
    success of the show for 41 years. Finally, to our attendees. Without
    you, there is no show. Over 41 years, we have met a variety of people
    with one common passion, amateur radio. Ham-Com is proud to contribute
    to bringing people together to enjoy this passion. We will definitely
    miss this gathering of the broader community.

Our thoughts and best wishes to you and your families and “see
    you on-the-air”.

Bill Nelson
    President of Ham-Com Inc

15. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

And, don't forget the Pound o' Parts "Hamfest in a Box"!
    Eric