ad: wmr-1

RT 66 OTA Starts Saturday, Sept 12th

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by NF7E, Sep 10, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K8SQB

K8SQB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I hit the MO QSO event station a few months back, 40m SSB in mid day, 60W from CM96, worked very clean. Not all days are equal, though. I notice on digital modes there are some mornings SoCal comes in on 20m, everyone and their kid brother, other days I can't get one QSO period, this past week went like that. Lucky to catch B and C on 40m when I did, all other days I could not hear them and they could not hear me. The week started out well, back on the 12th and went downhill after that. From Albuquerque eastward everything was as peachy as could be, 80, 40, 30 and 20.

Looking forward to the next multi-state event!

BTW, I am serious. If people are interested in forming an El Camino Real multi station event, I'm on board. Mission Santa Cruz isn't far from QTH and would probably be pretty easy to work from. In all, we have 21 missions from San Diego to San Francisco Solano, some of which would be an absolute peach to work (such as San Antonio, tucked away in Fort Hunter Liggett (as long as the military boys are OK with it.)

KR3DX likes this.
  2. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that's a great idea!

3. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KR3DX likes this.
  4. KR3DX

5. KR3DX

I have to respectfully disagree. I noticed that a few of the usual suspects were quite rare, and judging from the comments on the spotting cluster, the on-the-air comments, and comments from some ham friends of mine, I don't think that I'm alone in that opinion.

We'll see how active each station was this year when their total number of contacts are posted on the RT66 website. Last year there were a couple of stations that didn't submit their totals to be posted, my guess is that their numbers were very low.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  6. KF5KWO

KF5KWO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

_That_ is a *PERFECT* way to describe contests to the “Pokemon” generation. Trying to make it sound exciting to my kids how I normally do it falls short, but “Ham Radio Pokemon” really captures it quite well. Stealing this! :)

Also, sounds like a good idea for a contest...???

7. KR3DX

The total numbers for 9 of the Route 66 stations are now posted on the homepage. One of them has shown a tremendous improvement this year over past years. The station with the most QSOs has more than 6 times the number of the least active station. To be fair, the stations near the left coast have a disadvantage compared to the stations located more to their east, due to there being almost nobody to contact to the west of the coast. As more totals are posted, I believe we'll see an even greater disparity between stations.

8. K8SQB

K8SQB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Three cards have come in already, no flies on them!

I worked ILLW this year, the cards arrived yesterday and I've got a stack out in the mail. We will be faster next time as there appears to be quite a surplus from this year. 230+ stations worked (CZU Fire really put a kink in the hose), but requests are lower than expected. I was told to anticipate 2/3 contacts requesting, it's also a rare grid.

9. KR3DX

Unfortunately, the numbers say otherwise. All but one station have submitted their totals. The most active station made 6192 contacts, the least active station made 619 contacts. That's a 10 to 1 ratio. Some stations showed a significant improvement this year and none showed a significant decrease, so progress is being made. The popularity of this event is quite obvious when some of the stations can make in excess of 3 thousand contacts quite easily. There is significant room for improvement for some of the participating stations. http://w6jbt.org/?page_id=1440

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  10. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Something interesting.

My 13 Colonies certificate came through with the wrong call sign. A few years ago the Rt 66 certificate came with the same wrong call sign. This year even though I worked them all the Rt 66 cert didn't have them all checked.