ad: Alphaant-1

A Video History of Ham Radio HF Rig Visual Design—Military to Modern

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Sep 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0IP

K0IP Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW, you two guys should turn your computers off and burn your cameras.. 52 minutes of my life totally wasted.. Who really wants to know what you think ???
    I'm waiting for a radio that has a pop-up "at a boy" flag that waves furiously after every FT-8 contact..

Really people........ I am almost sure that psychiatric help is available, but I fear it's too late !!!
    sorry guys, BUT you are just like the bulk of the ""u tubers"" MOSTLY USELESS..

10-4

now does anyone want to know what I think, ( a rhetorical question) Because what I think is probably as stupid as these two experts in design and ergonomics....... good grief

again 10-4 goooooooood buddy

humor or not, a waste.

I cant wait to see what the ugly'est radio is ,

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  2. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Dayum dude, who crapped on your cupcakes?

AJ6KZ likes this.
  3. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Already seen the pranks episode... Humor only a ham, or an engineer would appreciate. :)

If you are interested, I will be adding to the tower project story in the next day or so. It's finally making progress and I hope to be on the air in another month or so.

PY2NEA likes this.
  4. VK6HIL

VK6HIL Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the answer to that is a resounding no FFS.

Better than the many Amateur radio videos which are invariably some idiot shouting into a mic with his chat buddies egging him on.

AJ6KZ and PY2NEA like this.
  5. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good call on the 380. Q

6. K8QS

Thanks for your note from VK land. I've got a VK contact story to include in one of the videos. Q

VK6HIL likes this.
  7. K8QS

Great. Q

8. K8QS

Good point, JBL. That would also take us into home brew territory. Much harder to get a handle on. Q

PY2NEA likes this.
  9. K8QS

AJ6KZ --

Do you have any favorite, classic rigs? Quin, K8QS

10. K8QS

Don, watch one of our upcoming videos for further feedback. We are addressing your advice head-on. Thanks. Quin, K8QS

11. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Great Video! You missed the Johnson Viking II. I will ha V to say. I am guilty of having a Collins S Line Station. For AM Johnson Viking II with the NC 300. I also have a DX60 Hallicrafters S-40 and the Hallicrafters TV. I have these in storage but all work as they should.

12. ZS1SBW

ZS1SBW QRZ Lifetime Member #505 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Enjoyed the video, actually watched it to the end. Thank you.

@K8QS Are you familiar with Murphy B40 'Lighthouse receivers' ?

494C49D3-1299-4787-8676-A2A0FFB9DDFF.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    PY2NEA, AJ6KZ and W3AMT like this.
  13. K8OS

K8OS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

@ZS1SBW Thanks for asking; I've not seen these before. However, I am indeed familiar with the Yaesu FRG-7.. I have one in my own collection!

ZS1SBW likes this.
  14. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

The B40 (MF/HF) and B41 (VLF/LF)
    were a "staple" in immediate post-WW2 naval communications. They had identical exteriors.

Their weight (102 lb) could cause unpleasant surprises for maintenance personnel if they were mounted on top of rack cabinets as they were on the 50s era Swedish submarines.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

PY2NEA and ZS1SBW like this.
  15. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Definitely. The Collins 75A-4 receiver and KWS-1 transmitter, just on looks alone. I do not have the space or money or time to tinker with these, but to me they represent exactly what my imagination would come up with in thinking about old radios.