ad: elecraft

ICOM IC-705 Feature Walk-Through

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6NAZ, Sep 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VE3GCX

VE3GCX Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you volunteering to be the test subject ;)

2. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

A human brain in a robotic body? That means someone is thinking inside a box, would you not agree?

WA2LXB likes this.
  3. N0KEW

N0KEW BANNED QRZ Page

Nice job icom! I dig this one.

K8HIT likes this.
  4. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the issue is Motorized, not human powered on Sota. Horse, Mules , Goats, Donkeys as pack mules fine; and actually in the "Spirt" of the Frontier!

Drive your truck up to the SOTA; Ya gota carry that stuff to the Shelter X number of yards away. So a Robot would need to be parked away and they walk to the Sota just as described before in a previous post.

Art

5. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure. “Get off my frequency. You have 10 seconds to comply.”

BE4F548A-A2BD-48CD-A443-64FC4DA8E702.jpeg

WA2LXB likes this.
  6. AB9TX

AB9TX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Amps? External tuners? Suddenly the IC 705 is not to portable...

N6SPP and K0UO like this.
  7. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

But modular. You can leave the things at home you don't need in the field (such as an amp). It's shaping up to be a flexible, do anything type of rig.

Chris

K8HIT likes this.
  8. WU2M

WU2M Ham Member QRZ Page

This thing will rock when it is $799.99!

9. KB7TBC

KB7TBC Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the looks of the radio .But 10 WATTS no Tnks Al KB7TBC

10. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Almost any mobile rig is modular, by your criteria. Heck, why not just get an 891 and a DSTAR or C4FM handie talkie at that point. Save money and have MORE flexibility.

11. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

First, your combo is heavier and requires two batteries (one comparatively quite large to power the 891). Second, you lose SSB and AM on VHF and UHF. I can live without SSB/AM on VHF/UHF, but the weight and extra battery is a killer.

Chris

12. K8HIT

K8HIT Ham Member QRZ Page

IC-705 has WiFi and Bluetooth. Lot's of connectivity that is not in the 891 and two HT's.

You won't save money matching feature/function of the IC-705 with a 891 and then adding HTs. You just can't get there.

K0UO likes this.
  13. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Let's be honest - when was the last time you used SSB and AM on VHF and UHF and 10W?

14. W5CJA

FT3DR has gps, C4FM, WiresX, and bluetooth for $350.00. Get an FT-891 and you can do it all for less plus dual watch HF and VHF/UHF for less than the cost of a 705. Plus, you have 100w if needed on HF. You really going to use ssb or AM on VHF or UHF with only 10 watts? Probably not. But that's the only edge case where it would be better.

15. W5CJA

If weight is that big of a factor, there are cheaper rigs that weigh far less than a 705.