ad: chuckmartin

A Video History of Ham Radio HF Rig Visual Design—Military to Modern

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Sep 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham Radio Perspectives looks at how radio designers have tried to modernize the look of equipment from military rigs to the present. Quin (K8QS, aka "Dr. Q") and Tom (WA9TDD) show how manufacturers from Hallicrafters and National to Kenwood and Icom have sought to maintain the communications "function" through evolving visual "forms." Do all modern HF rigs look essentially the same now? What do amateur radio operators like and dislike about how rigs "look"? Join the conversation.

KK4HPY, IK2AHG, N0TZU and 11 others like this.
  2. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, man, I came so close to closing the whole video after that opening.

N9AMI likes this.
  3. K8QS

Thanks for our note. We're looking for feedback. What about the rest of the video? Quin, K8QS

4. KI6VWS

KI6VWS Ham Member QRZ Page

An interesting, thoughtful and well-presented review of rig design influences and evolution, but I agree with the previous comment that the opening isn't cool. Lose that part and it's a real winner.

5. K8QS

Great. We'll remove that section. Thanks much. Q

6. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Love the topic. I think a lot of engineering types would like to think they are all about function over form, but I will happily admit that I want both. And indeed, at some point form IS function.

PY2NEA likes this.
  7. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Feedback?

I would suggest it is not necessary to watch you two guys talking to each other. Honest, YT has waaay too much face time for most vidss.

It would allow for more screen space thus, better res for pjotos etc.

Just my $0.02.

8. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

What'd I miss?

9. K8QS

I wonder if the form shapes our perceptions of a radio -- looks matter -- even though we think about a rig in terms of its function (operation). At least this is true in consumer electronics. Q

10. K8QS

You missed our first sponsor (fake): D-XXX factor, a pill to take for great DXing, etc. Just a spoof.

11. K8QS

Good point about the length of the video. As we are working on others, we are going to try to move them along more quickly. Hard for me, as an academic (Piled Higher and Deeper). Q

12. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah... Great comedy often challenges boundaries and is misunderstood. Back when I was doing broadcast radio on KBOI, I often had fake "sponsors" as part of the lighter content of the program. My show wasn't 'scripted' but I was acutely aware that my odd sense of humor could easily offend, so things like the phony ads and PSAs were prerecord, programmed into the bumps and -always- ran past my producer first.

13. K8QS

KI7HSB likes this.
  14. W2JBL

W2JBL Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice but other thatn the "cover photo" they ignored the first 50 years of Ham radio- 1900 to 1950. Would have been nice to see the history of manufactured rigs from a hundred years ago.

PY2NEA likes this.
  15. WB9AVW

WB9AVW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice run thru on rig evolution's..

I think you should of included the KMW-380 in the mix.