ad: M2Ant-1

ICOM IC-705 Feature Walk-Through

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6NAZ, Sep 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What does that mean though? How is the 817 considered “rugged”. Rugged as compared to what? The TX-500 is the only thing claiming to be even splash resistant. You’re going to protect your 817 (which don’t get me wrong is a workhorse) the same way you protect a KX2, KX3 or a 705.

WW2PT and AJ6KZ like this.
  2. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

I think he means physically. I've heard stories of large rocks falling on top of 817s during SOTA activations without damaging it. I've had mine for about 12 years without testing *that* capability, but it has lived a long life of knocking about in an unpadded pack.

If Yaesu made an "819" that was waterproof, had an internal tuner, and all the capabilities of the 817/818, I'd probably sprain something getting my CC out. :D

Chris

K9GLS likes this.
  3. VE3IPS

VE3IPS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Real hams will use the 40/20 linked dipole and thus no tuner required.

Go back to the 50s and you will see everyone used a dipole

The is Icom's best and biggest handheld

4. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

<---Not a "real ham" because he uses 65' of wire on a chalk line reel and a small manual tuner

Chris

WN1MB, WW2PT and AJ6KZ like this.
  5. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have a fancy logo or the need to defend manufacturers so I can continue to procure equipment but what I do have is real world experience, whether its flying in the bush or over water far from civilization or sailing singlehanded far from land I know what works and I can depend on. So far past surplus military radios the only rig that stands up is the 817. It takes a beating. I kept running an IC2 long past its due date until the vx series came out so that should give you and idea. Keeping it simple is the most important thing and toughness is second. Both those ideas are lost now in the community because bells and whistles lead the way over common sense. I don't care about running digital or having bluetooth when I really need to communicate and having a waterfall or touch screen is least of my worries. The 705 is a hobby radio and most will be sold not for what it is but who you can brag to about having one. That's pretty much about what the hobby is these days.

K1BQY, K8XG, WW2PT and 1 other person like this.
  6. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

We live in a society where "rugged" is now defined as a callous on your mouse finger. The 817/818 is built like a damn tank. Not much plastic on that radio. That's the beauty of the hobby. There is such a diverse selection of radios appealing to women, emasculated men with callouses, old curmudgeon war horses and every flavor in between. We used to say different strokes for different folks. People have programmed themselves to respond. What's the most hateful thing that can be said to get the most likes. People don't take time to realize this is all about FIT. What radio FITS you better. Maybe one doesn't need a ATU... maybe one person does rely on it. No need to bash the other side but that's what we've become.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2020
    K1BQY, K8XG and WU3U like this.
  7. WU3U

WU3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It’s called PROGRESS. As you stated you were once a pilot, probably one with maps on his knee or arm and maybe a flashlight in your mouth. It sounds like you would be against GPS in a modern day airplane if these fancy newfangled gadgets and features aren’t necessary. Why would anyone need a GPS, auto pilot or any of these other modern day avionics that you didn’t have back then? It’s because technology has progressed. Yes the pilot still needs to know how to read those same maps and fly without those instruments but all of those gadgets makes his job easier and quite possibly.....fun.

Sure you can operate a radio without a waterfall, GPS or digital mode. They are not trying to appeal to guys that quit spending money on gear that are happy with that radio that was the highest technology at the time that they purchased it. These new features like they have added into modern day radios help get new hams interested in a possibly diminishing hobby. It also keeps older hams that want to progress with the hobby interested in buying new radios. You didn’t grow up with an iPad on your lap on an iPhone in your pocket but you can use a computer. Why would you even want to use a computer? Because it’s fun, it’s educational it should help you learn and progress in some fashion. If it doesn’t, your not using it for the right reasons. Same with these new features they are adding to radios. Someone into contesting loves using a waterfall. That younger kid or older kid for that matter with a Bluetooth headset for his cell phone can now link it to his radio. Does he need to? Of course not, but can he? Now he can.

Let the hobby progress. Sure, it’s not the radio for you but don’t shun these new devices and features to the people that they are targeting just because you don’t need or want them. The world will go one after we’re gone but the last thing I want to see is someone’s great great grandchild using Drake TR-22C technology 20 years from now because that’s all that’s available to them. I want to see them using it because it’s a cool old radio which is setting next to their shiny new radio with features or modes that we haven’t even dreamed up yet.

Curt
    WU3U

KK6ZHJ likes this.
  8. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I want a used one from that "it's just not my thing" sale and Saturdays will be the 818 and Sunday will be the 705. 73.

9. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Progress in tech typically means a diminishing ability to repair your own equipment.

N1IPU and K9GLS like this.
  10. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The first sentence of your reply is a ad-hominem directed at me? I just wanted to know why you said "and so far no one has come as close to rugged as it is."

It certainly sounds like you're "rugged" -can you transmit RF by chance? But really, I'm not interested in how qualified you think you are. I'm curious why at a sample size of 1, you are saying "and so far no one has come as close to rugged as it is."

It sounds to me that you take care of your equipment and it has taken care of you. But what happened to your 817 that you give it such accolades?

11. N1IPU

Progress? That's a word that's been used to harm as well as aid. As you started with aviation I would like to point out a problem that has raised it's head on several instances lately. Your progress in aviation has also lead to a disturbing dependence in technology. Few people know that most airlines almost prohibit pilots from hand flying the aircraft. With that instances of dependence on that tech have led to pilots forgetting rule #1 in an emergency which is "fly the damn plane" . The operators (can't call them Pilots anymore) get lost in drilling down on the problem in hand to solve the problem and ignore what the aircraft is doing, many times with disturbing results.
    Some tech is fine and I am thankful for the autopilot during heavy workloads, GPS nav and approaches and the like but I never forget to fly the damn plane. Progress can relate directly to dependency and an inability to function when that progress fails. We forget how slim the margins are between what we are used to and total failure.
    Thinking people worry when they find out how much of our modern systems are interdependent like how GPS basically is the foundation for everything we know rely on. Banking, Internet. the grid and communication will all fail if that system goes down. If and when it does do you want to be in an aisle seat from Fort Worth to Denver? Same goes for radio, Instead of the audio clues old hams relied on now its the waterfall. Those promoting digital radio soon forget without GPS timing 99% of digital modes fail. As we build our confidence in progress its far to easy to let the old reliable ways go to the wayside. I am happy your a true believer but also hope you understand how easy it is for it to fail.

NN6D likes this.
  12. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've seen pilots who couldn't turn crosswind without getting lost if they didn't have GPS.

13. N1IPU

Far too many instances of that these days. Guy I know lost his Garmin display, VFR just CAVU all over. Not lying, he declared and emergency and asked for radar vectors. Dude should not be flying and he takes the wife and kids with him all the time.

14. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Now THAT is more impressive to me than an IC-705!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    NK8I, WN1MB and N1IPU like this.
  15. KK6ZHJ

KK6ZHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Did he survive?