ad: M2Ant-1

Anatomy of a low frequency aviation radio beacon

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KX4O, Aug 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WX7LL

WX7LL Ham Member QRZ Page

Very similar to the LMM at Bethel, AK. In an ice storm, it grew so heavy it snapped a support cable, and the recoil split one of the utility poles. In spring we replaced both poles and changed the antenna to a single wire. Also included two cleaning ropes so we could walk the frost off.

K0UO and KX4O like this.
  2. W4XA

W4XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that the only published approaches at Bethel are GPS/RNAV and the LMM is now nowhere to be found...... I wonder how long it will be before they start deactivating NDBs in AK

SEATAC airport had LOMs both north and south for RWY 16/34 and compass locators 281 and 224khz + 75mhz beacons . Both of them are long gone now.

The 75mhz "markers" have been disappearing all over the country. Once that band is cleared out, I wonder who will get access to it? It would make a great ham band being between 6 & 2m

KX4O and K0UO like this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

VORs are starting to disappear too, the one near me ANY is scheduled to be decommissioned this year along with two or three hundred in the next couple of years

4. W4XA

W4XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah they are dropping like flies........., I'm helping my neighbor get his 76 Cherokee for sale and he asked me how I thought his "full panel" radio "stack" would improve his sale chances........
    . King Silver Crown (2) KX-170B's, with VOR/ILS, KR-85 ADF, KT-76 (NOT the "A") and a II Morrow Loran-C

Everything works!

I told him that it all might not have any "recycle" value at all. He didn't really like my answer at all.......

N6TPT and K0UO like this.
  5. K0UO

Your Are Right

6. KE4IKY

KE4IKY Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok... Since we are talking navigation aids. Has anyone else noticed that civilian VORTACS (not many exist) are painted all white, while the military ones are painted with a red stripe to look like a bowling pin?

Also... While visiting a NDB in Honduras (with an officer that was interested). We both approached it, and I noticed the antenna feedline had conically flaring insulation where it fed into the shelter. The officer started to approach it to get a good look, and I kind of had him wait a moment, as it turns out there was a sticker on a tiny feedline clamp about a 1/2" high and 3/4" long, saying "Danger, Extremely High Voltage".

Safety isn't really a strong point in some environments.

Thanks
    Joel

KX4O and K0UO like this.
  7. W4XA

W4XA Ham Member QRZ Page

There's still hundreds of VORTACS around the country. Just take a look at any US HIGH or LOW IFR chart while those VORTACS can be used with a TACAN receiver for navigation, military TACAN stations are exclusively for military use since there's usually no VOR co-located with it, and there's virtually no civilian aircraft equipped with TACAN (unless someone gets a TACAN receiver surplus and installs it themselves........(illegally too since it's likely no avionics shop would "yellow-tag" a TACAN receiver to put in a civil registered aircraft)

K0UO likes this.
  8. K0UO

Tegucigalpa Honduras was one of the worst airports I ever flew in and out of until we flew over to the Nicaraguan jungle border taking relief supplies

9. N6DBN

N6DBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome article. The idea of using guy wires as a Cap hat and a support structure is pretty trick.

WX7LL likes this.
  10. KE4IKY

The NDB I looked at was at Soto-Cano (Enrique Soto Cano Map).

The "jungle border" was interesting, there was a story of an armed group of Nicaraguans that crossed into Honduras to cause trouble, after being lost for a couple of weeks, they threw down their weapons and were very happy to eventually get captured.

Thanks
    Joel

11. KE4IKY

Of VORTACS, the ones maintained by the military (like McGuires) have the red band, the one at Coyle field near McGuire (maintained by the FAA) doesn't. Pretty much around the country that's how they are marked for some reason.

I do know that it is easier to tell people to look for the giant bowling pin when describing how to get to the VORTAC on a base (like when the A/C or civil engineer guys need to repair something). :)

Thanks
    Joel

12. WA8LGM

WA8LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I used to see something like this in a field on Selma Road south of Springfield Ohio when I was a kid. Not sure if its still there or not though. It was a single wire Marconi, as I remember.

13. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

The 72-76 MHz band still has lots of other users. Marker beacons are only on 75.0 MHz. There is a small guard band of about 74.8-75.2 for aircraft receiver interference protection. If they got rid of all the marker beacons it would not change the rest of the band.

14. W4XA

W4XA Ham Member QRZ Page

You'll have to elaborate on "Aircraft Receiver Interference Protection"

Marker Beacon Receivers are just about gone. (no one uses them anymore) What is there to protect?

(also, You wouldn't happen to know Marty Consodine would you?)

15. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As long as the FAA/military keeps one Marker Beacon in operation, the frequency/band will remain allocated for aviation use, and be zealously protected from illegal interference.