ad: elecraft

HR2.0 - Ham Radio Antennas | Base Station Antennas - What Do The YouTubers Use? YTB #19

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Sep 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HAM RADIO ANTENNAS! We get asked this question often - What Ham Radio Base Station Antenna do you use? What is the best ham radio base station antenna? There are many, many choices out there and none of them are necessarily wrong, but today the YouTubers Bunch talk about what we personally use for both base station and portable operations.

This is a long video, so check the short-links in the Description of the video to move around.

AH2AP, KC9WUV, KM6SIK and 1 other person like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You guys need to put up some real antennas!

KT5OT, N3FAA, K8PG and 3 others like this.
  3. KG7OG

KG7OG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

um, you realize these guys do radio every day and have a passion for it.. that commit is ignorant.

and your qrz page says the best antenna is the one that is on the air. Woah, dude .. upset you weren’t invited to the show?

KB7OM, N8PEM, KG4ILV and 2 others like this.
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

When was "home station" dropped for the dubiously fashionable "base station"?

G1UFM, KZ4TN, N3FAA and 4 others like this.
  5. ZL1PDT

ZL1PDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Guys this was GREAT , I belief that the 49:1 or 64:1 end fed is the most useble for all fast no ant tuner needed and easy to get up an go
    up to 100 w ,Thanks, Pieter--zl1pdt

KC5HWB likes this.
  6. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've got a SteppIR three element. Seems pretty real. :D

KO4GBD, KG7HVR, KG4ILV and 3 others like this.
  7. ZL4IV

ZL4IV Ham Member QRZ Page

20m, 4 element, 1"3/8 non tappered on a 30' boom, home brew, can hear a pin drop. I can just lift it off the ground. Been up for 15 years with regular maintenance. Survived many 100 mph winds.

Doesn't anybody make their own any more?
    IMG_2180.JPG

N6SPP, K8PG, AJ4LN and 5 others like this.
  8. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure you had a big discount too knowing the game. I make my own for HF. Store bought VHF and Above except for satellite which I built. Maybe you all should bug the ARRL for a free copy of the Antenna handbook so we can see what skills you all have.

M0NCL, KZ4TN, K7CB and 3 others like this.
  9. KI4UYA

KI4UYA Ham Member QRZ Page

I watch a lot of your videos and have found them very informative and you address a wide variety of topics. I watched the videos of you Step IR build and installation. From the videos, it looks like you have a single story home. With a 4 ft roof tower and the antenna on top, my guess the antenna is about 20 to 25 feet off the ground. My question is why didn't you choose a 9 ft. roof tower with a 15 ft. heavy duty mast to get the antenna up another 10 feet?

W0ENE likes this.
  10. KI4UYA

I enjoyed watching what the guys use for their antennas. I'm a 100 watts and a wire guy. It's rewarding to me when I work a ZL, JA or DL using just a wire antenna. Sure I could have a 50 ft tower with multiple beams, but that would take the fun out of it for me. This hobby is supposed to be fun and continually learn as you progress.

MM1LBA, K2JBC, KZ4TN and 2 others like this.
  11. KI4UYA

When did hams stop using the proper Phonetic alphabet? A whole new world today!

KI7HSB likes this.
  12. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that's the way its done.

KB7OM likes this.
  13. WA5KM

WA5KM Ham Member QRZ Page

It's CB lingo. The first time it hit me was when I was showing a class in Electronics my Kenwood radio. Comments were "Oh you have a BASE" and "Gee, that's BIG". Up until the '70s CB craze a Ham Station was presumed to be fixed and at the licensee's home address. Exceptions were noted with /mobile, /portable, etc.

14. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I sorry it came across wrong. Hope to talk to all of you ON the Air

KM9G and KC5HWB like this.
  15. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah CB that's another reason I hated living through the 70's. I can say I never owned on not did I want one!