ad: Flexradio-1

Call Sign of Raymond Horton, Dallas Texas

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KE5VJS, Aug 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The uls is the official record of the FCC, they don't show any activity. If you retook the test, then you may get a new call sign, I'm not sure the one you are using will be reissued to you. If you "retook the test", then that is not a renewal, it's a new license.

2. KE5VJS

KE5VJS Ham Member QRZ Page

Irrespective of the terminology, you’re mistaken sir- in a couple of areas. Call it what you like but,

1. my license is now active, new or otherwise

2. my general classification was reinstated as it was in 2014- Period

Finally - according to the FCC whom I spoke with yesterday, after I applied , will review and approve if no one else has applied ahead of time. If they have there is another I’ve picked out.

Finally what difference does any of this make to you and exactly how is this any of this your business , sir ?

3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just trying to make you aware of the situation. Most hams don't let their license lapse beyond that two year grace period, so it takes additional means to get re-instated, like "re-testing". In your first post, I didn't see where that was mentioned, simply "renewed", which can't be done once that 2 year period goes by. Since you have done the re-test, everything should work out OK for you, good luck in your search.

4. KE5VJS

Yes sir, I was aware, which is why I took care of the issue w/ in weeks. Clearly I’m not most hams , because extenuating circumstances ensued.

Most hams are incredibly helpful, not accusatory. I’ve found that they do whatever they can to assist others in this hobby, while others simply look for ought so to speak. They fancy themselves as some type of ham police which generally turn others away from engaging this hobby.

Finally, I wasn’t aware I had to qualify my conditions in order to post on this site.

PMs are much more discreet

5. KE5VJS

To my knowledge and according to my aunt, he did not. I've even asked her to look in some of his old manuals to no avail.

6. KD7CFM

KD7CFM Ham Member QRZ Page

He didn't write his call in any of his old manuals, did he?

7. AE8I

AE8I QRZ Lifetime Member #32 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Beyond this information, do you have anything else that would definitely tie your uncle to Amateur Radio rather than the Citizens Band Radio Service? Class D Citizens Band was established in 1958, so that fits with the timeframe you've described. Solar Cycle 19 was a bit before my time, but I believe communications with Australia on 11-meters might well have been possible with some regularity from the mid-50s to mid-60s. A shack of significant size is certainly not unheard of for CB ops.

Did you visit his shack yourself at some point, or are you relying on someone else's description that there was a shack of some sort? Any chance you could contact a family member that might have a photo of the shack? Ops are usually proud of their radios and a photo or two usually gets taken at some point, even in the 1950s. Obviously, you might see a call sign somewhere in the photo, and possibly the type of equipment might help identify your uncle as either a ham or a CB'er.

In any event, good luck with your search.

KE5VJS, K7JEM and K1LKP like this.
  8. KX1W

KX1W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Your uncle doesn't appear to have had a middle name. He was born October 31, 1914 and died November 9, 1987. He is buried in Grove Hill Memorial Park in Dallas.

I searched the 1938, 1940 and 1948 callbooks in the 5 call area, which includes Texas. There is no listing for a Raymond Horton in Dallas. Are you sure he had a ham license?

KE5VJS likes this.
  9. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi David, you are absolutely correct about being currently licensed; your new call is KI5KRV. You might want to ask QRZ.com to fix your login. Sorry I do have any information regarding Raymond so I follow this thread with interest.

KE5VJS likes this.
  10. KE5VJS

Yes sir, thank you. It’s been active for a couple of weeks now.

the reason I haven’t asked to change yet is because I applied for my old call sign via the vanity option

WJ4U likes this.
  11. KE5VJS

Yes sir , you are correct. I believe he got his license after WWll.
    I believe he was most active in the 50s, 60s and 70s in his shack. Some in the 80s too