ad: MyersEng-1

Call Sign of Raymond Horton, Dallas Texas

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KE5VJS, Aug 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

But a great many of the FCC records have the middle initial included. And if it is on the record, then a search for "Raymond Horton" would come up short. That's why I just searched for "Horton" instead.

Spring 1959 - 9 Horton, no Raymond
    Summer 1963 - 17 Horton, no Raymond
    Spring 1968 - 15 Horton, no Raymond
    Fall 1971 - stopped counting, no Raymond
    Winter 1976 - ditto, no Raymond
    Winter 1983 - ditto, no Raymond

Don't know what to tell ya! No record of a Raymond Horton in the 5th call area having a ham license in that time period.

I even checked 1962 CB call book and nothing there either.

KE5VJS likes this.
  2. WR2E

By the way David, are you aware that YOUR license is expired as of June 2018 ?

KE5VJS likes this.
  3. KE5VJS

KE5VJS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes sir, I’m aware. It’s just been renewed and I’m awaiting the update on FCC

4. KE5VJS

Thank you for all of your effort , I truly appreciate it

It certainly is Raymond, perhaps he was listed as Ray though I doubt it.

He is as certainly a HAM operator

5. WR2E

I searched on "Horton" with no first name. He should have shown up.

If he always lived in Dallas he should have had a 5th district call sign, especially since back then one was supposed to change call sign if one moved to a different district. But I'm wondering if maybe somehow his call was in another district.

Do you know if he maintained another home in another call area?

It's a mystery for sure!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    KE5VJS likes this.
  6. KE5VJS

That’s a good question perhaps he had a different district number but he had no other home that he lived in outside of Texas unless he had his HAM license while in Alaska during his time in the service

7. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

This has been interesting to follow, that's for sure!

Was he 73 when he passed?
    November 9, 1987 ??

Unfortunately, the picture is upside down.
    https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/99407703/raymond-horton/photo
    Technical Sergeant US Army?

When did QST start printing SK's? Of course, I think someone has to
    report it to QST to be printed in the magazine.

KE5VJS likes this.
  8. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

raymond horton.jpg

KE5VJS likes this.
  9. KE5VJS

That’s it. Great work

10. KE5VJS

That is one of the reasons I’ve wanted to find his Call Sign

W2RE has tried valiantly to do so. I think he had it in Alaska and that may be the district

11. KE5VJS

So after more research on my uncle Raymond Horton, his license was in Texas and procured after the war.

Given this information, I’m not sure where to go unless his call sign had a number in it other than 5 for the Texas district

12. WR2E

Holding a call from other than the district you lived in has only in the recent past been changed. I don't know when exactly, but I know it was in the past few decades, well after your Uncle was licensed. Maybe one of our resident pedants knows when that was changed.

Therefore, his call sign would almost certainly have to have been a "5" call if he was licensed 'after the war'.

You could try searching the database yourself, I gave the link in an earlier reply.

Going there you will be presented with a page of all the call books they have scanned on file.

Click on one of them.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "district 5" or whatever they call it.

Now in the upper right, you can enter a search term. The search term has to be exact, which is why I used only "Horton" and not "Raymond Horton" because if his license did have his middle initial, it would not be found.

Search for his street names, etc.

I went through a butt load of them and only found that one Raymond Horton that I mentioned earlier, and that apparently was not him.

KE5VJS likes this.
  13. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you think he was the type to have joined a club back then?
    I mean, what did they do before the internet to learn things? :rolleyes:

I would suggest trying to contact some long running clubs in the Dallas area.
    Due to his age and many of the WWII veterans have long passed, it might
    be worth seeing if any clubs have a roster with his name on it.

You might have to start a new thread in a different category.
    Not sure how many folks like looking through the SK postings. ;)

KE5VJS likes this.
  14. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Your license shows "Cancelled" on 7/1/2020, so according to the FCC database, you are currently not licensed. A renewal would have to have been sent by 6/30/20, evidently they did not get it. No report of anything on your license happening in years, other than the cancellation. You need to spend some time fixing that problem, instead of chasing down history.

15. KE5VJS

Negative. My license is and was active Officially as of Saturday morning at @. 8:00am CST.
    My General classification was reinstated after I took the test.
    In terms of my call sign which was issued in 2008, that was applied for and is pending. If not I’ll get another one of my choosing

In either case, is it against the rules to post on this site and ask questions if you’re not a ham? I highly doubt it

It would behoove you to be a bit more thorough,and diplomatic before making suggestions or pontificating on presumptions.

There are several things I could respond with but I’ll just thank you for your concern , sir

DJ0AJ likes this.