ad: Retevis-1

FCC releases proposal for new filing fee structure

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K2IGO, Aug 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KD8EDC

KD8EDC Ham Member QRZ Page

The way I interpreted the NPRM, a new ham would incur a fee of $50 for each license and upgrade. As a VE, some of our folks come to testing with limited means, but having studied for 2 exams (most common). Often they do the Tech and General, but we have had several occasions where the examinee has taken and passed all 3 elements, and goes from 0 to Extra that same day. Under the new rule, if adopted, it appears that the same 3 exams would cost him/her $165 ($15 of which is ARRL VEC fee). I think this is absolutely ridiculous, and will definitely deter younger candidates from becoming licensed. From what I can see, there doesn't appear to be any other way to interpret this NPRM. $50 every 10 years to renew is one thing, but $65 per element sounds unworkable to me.

73, Mark KD8EDC

K9DWB and K4RZM like this.
  2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

No, that is not how it would work. The exams are not licenses. No matter how many tests you take at a single setting, there is only one fee for the granted license. IOW, if you go to a test session, and walk out with an extra, there would only be a $50 fee from the FCC. You were never licensed as a tech or general, only as an extra. The FCC only sees a single license grant that would generate fees.

Now if you took the three tests on three consecutive days, you would be correct. Because then the applicant would actually step through the licenses one by one.

KU4X likes this.
  3. KD8EDC

KD8EDC Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably true. And most people do it that way: Tech, then General, then later Amateur Extra. In that case, we're talking 3 x $65 (adding in the VEC fee), or a total of $195 to get to Extra.

For a hobby that is interested in recruiting young, vibrant minds, this seems to me to be unconscionable. It's just too much, especially jumping from a maximum of $45 to $195.

YMMV

Mark KD8EDC

4. KO4GQP

KO4GQP Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a newly licensed, young vibrant mind like you describe. Had this change to regulation been proposed while I was still in the process of purchasing study materials, it would have given me pause, for sure.

KD8EDC, K4RZM and N6ATF like this.
  5. K4XJ

K4XJ Ham Member QRZ Page

A liberal must have thought of this...More money more money more money...Stick it to the people!

AD5HR likes this.
  6. N8FNR

N8FNR Ham Member QRZ Page

How is it politics if it is a fact? When did facts become a problem?

K3XR likes this.
  7. N8FNR

N8FNR Ham Member QRZ Page

What is wrong with facts? At least as a Trumptard you did not say libtard... When did facts become a problem?

8. KO4GQP

Libtard was understood. The irony of a liberal talking about fact is lost on you.

9. WB2PDW

WB2PDW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I feel the fee for an amateur license should be high enough to support the fcc enforcement to start doing there job again and enforcing the rules and rgulations. I'm willing to pay at least $ 100.00 dollar for the renewal of a license to get the fcc back on the air to do there job like they should be doing and police the ham bands.
    Vincent wb2pdw 73

10. KO4GQP

Police it in what way? You’re advocating for giving more control and power over our lives?

N6ATF likes this.
  11. N6ATF

N6ATF Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't understand the police statists clamoring for FCC to increase ham radio law enforcement by effectively any means necessary. It's as if there's a constant & total hellscape across all bands, that magically all my antennas & those of SDRs & EchoLink nodes I use, are deaf to.

Do you think FCC with the proposed license fees, will have a fleet of drones at its command to strike at the most prevalent offenders, shortwave broadcasters & pirates abroad?

12. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2020-8-29_12-34-44.png

N6ATF likes this.
  13. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

im ok with any fee as soon as we stop spending billions building highways and bridges and border walls in afganistan. just sayin..

WQ4G likes this.
  14. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Just can't resist - can you.... And, I bet you openly discuss politics OTA too....

What band did you grow up in? I can only guess...

WQ4G

15. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

It depends on who's facts they are...

WQ4G