ad: CQMM-1

FCC proposes new filing fee structure, new fees for ham radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KU3N, Aug 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How about 2X1 $500 and 1X2 $300 ( NOT !)

WQ4G likes this.
  2. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

20 dollar Boafang's 50 dollar license... still a cheap hobby.

And that Baofang probably won't last 10 years, but the license will.

KA0HCP likes this.
  3. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

Been a ham for 52 years. Seen many changes over the years. Yesterday I voiced my opinion about this proposal.

My posts got moved to another thread category. Now, they're gone.

If I offended someone, I apologize. Like one of the mods told me several months ago, the best way to participate on QRZ is to remain invisible.

Again, whomever I offended, I apologize.

For now.....PFFFFT!

4. KO4GQP

KO4GQP Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you're missing the point. Why further complicate a process that you could argue is taxing as it is?

N6ATF likes this.
  5. AF5IU

AF5IU Ham Member QRZ Page

The hobby is already dying a very slow death. The idiots on 75/80 meters here in the southern part of the United States aren't helping either. $50 just might be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. I'm tired of the Q'Anon morons on HF and on 2 meters. Oh, then we have the WINSYSTEM.

WQ4G and KA3ZAI like this.
  6. KO4GQP

Change the frequency. One of the things I found most interesting about ham radio when I was studying for my license, is it is the only hobby I have ever been involved with where the hobbyists actually seem to hate it :D

N6ATF and KA0HCP like this.
  7. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

That may be true... But all I see in the Q magazine are HIGH roller rigs with features to impress. That can't be good for someone new to the hobby. I find a LOT of license's that are waiting for the big one. In the meantime no desire to understand the radio wave.

Doesn't mater how long the license is for. If one doesn't understand it's just PTT. Listen to the local repeaters.

8. KC4IG

KC4IG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why doesn't that surprise me with the proposed cuts to Social Security and Medicare, a lot of older hams like my self will have to give up the hobby.

WQ4G, AF5IU and N6ATF like this.
  9. W2UV

W2UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah they don't say what the term of the license is, it going to be the same 10 years for the ARS I believe 5 yrs for the the GMRS service or is it going to be an annual fee. $50 for ten years isn't bad but that $50 fee will keep most if not all young people and new comers away; maybe this is there way of obsoleting the service kill it by attrition so they can auction it off. 73
    W2UV
    Phil

AF5IU likes this.
  10. NN6A

NN6A Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC takes yet another step toward eliminating Amateur Radio licensing in its entirety.

N6ATF likes this.
  11. N0ZNA

N0ZNA Ham Member QRZ Page

If it brings enforcement back,im game folks.

12. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

indeed.

what percentage of US radio amateurs are actually *capable* of providing disaster relief? in this case, capable means "are fully ambulatory, don't need special diets or a bathroom every fifteen minutes, and for whom a "go bag" is something more than where their colostomy drains?

N9DRY, N9LCD and N2EY like this.
  13. KO4GQP

Blood pressure pill bottles could be heard rattling across these great lands when this post was read.

N6HCM and N2EY like this.
  14. K7THU

K7THU Ham Member QRZ Page

I think 50 Bucks is a small price to pay for continuing in the hobby for another 10 years! Just stop the whining and pay up!!

WA5VGO likes this.
  15. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

$50 may be a large amount for those hams with limited resources. Maybe shortening the term of the license would be easier on people's finances, a 2 year license for $10, or maybe a 5 year license for $25. Also, if a ham lost interest in the hobby, their callsign would become available for reassignment that much more quickly. After expiration, a reduction of the renewal "grace period" from 2 years to 3 months would also make the unused callsign available in a more timely manner.

I don't think that $5 per year is too much to ask to maintain your license, even if you're not currently active. $5 per year isn't too much even if you have a ham license "just in case".

Back in 1998, I paid the FCC a one-time fee of $50 to APPLY for a vanity callsign, with no guarantee that I would get it. Today, I would pay $50 PER YEAR for my Amateur license if the FCC would use the excess revenue to enforce the rules and regulations on the ham bands.

N2EY likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.