ad: cq2k-1

FCC proposes new filing fee structure, new fees for ham radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KU3N, Aug 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N4MIT

N4MIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes we did have a thirst for knowledge... way back in the day. Now we live in the age of "instant extras" because the exams are so much easier than when we were young. If you don't have to work and sweat for it there is no invested value. I remember taking my exams on 1919 M street in Washington, DC where there were questions on RTTY and ATV... not to mention all the mathematics theory and 20wpm 100% copy. My Extra was a tough exam and I place a lot of value on it because of that. So, yes I'll pay $50 (but I won't like it). I still would like to see the FCC reissue the nice license certificate like we used to get.

K0OLD, WT4C and K0UO like this.
  2. N7DBI

N7DBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Like typical bureaucrats, they want more money to spend. Let them raise fees on commercial stations who make money from their broadcast time, not more taxes on the average citizen.

KD2SHN, WB6DJI, N6ATF and 1 other person like this.
  3. W7HT

W7HT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ajit Pai was not the FCC chairman under Obama. He and trump both need to go.

K7GYB, WQ4G and KA0LDG like this.
  4. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

N6ATF, W1YW and N3FAA like this.
  5. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  6. N4MIT

"Ajit Pai is the Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission. He was designated Chairman by President Donald J. Trump in January 2017."

"He had previously served as Commissioner at the FCC, appointed by then-President Barack Obama"

So, yes we do have Obama to blame for putting this worthless piece of excrement in a position that he could be made chairman under the Trump administration.

Just sayin...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  7. N7DBI

N7DBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You better stock up on the Kleenex.

KC1DR, K4BRU and N3FAA like this.
  8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Turning the thread into politics....much?
    There's a forum for that.

K0OLD, W5ESE, WQ4G and 4 others like this.
  9. N4MIT

Seems you've already done that.

K7GYB and WQ4G like this.
  10. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I got my vanity call I had to pay a fee, the first time I renewed it I had to pay a fee again. If they pass this ruling, it going to be prohibitively expensive for those who change there call signs every few months. Looks like it's time to pay to play. I am also disabled, retired, and on a fixed income, $50.00 for ten years isn't going to break me. And kids these days get a heck of a lot more for mowing the yard than we used to, (assuning you can get them to do it). My next renewal will proably be my last anyway.

73, Chuck

K8PG, K0UO and N4MIT like this.
  11. N4MIT

Hey what's the 20 on the "Politics Forum"? Lets see what I can stir up there?

N3AB likes this.
  12. WA7BZI

WA7BZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe the FCC's Ajit Pai will hand out $5.00 discounts for "AUTO-PAY" - just like the cable company and cellular providers do! Maybe he could also entertain an IRS tax-deduction line on the 1040 for this "non-remunerative" service. :eek:

13. WA7BZI

WA7BZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Government needs to be put back in the Genie bottle. Remember, power corrupts - and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

KE4ITL, WQ4G and N6ATF like this.
  14. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Curious, how has that changed the way you use the internet?

15. W6SDM

W6SDM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What? Charge fifty bucks? Look, a ton of volunteer work is done by hams. Much of the enforcement and all of the exams are done by volunteers. Perhaps the FCC should look to commercial services or broadcasting to recover financial shortfalls they may have. As far as vanity call signs, I would support a fee for those. It would prevent those few who change their call more often than most people change underwear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.