ad: CQMM-1

FCC proposes new filing fee structure, new fees for ham radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KU3N, Aug 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KI4POT

KI4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Starbucks is merely a convenient example. The point being, if amateur radio is a priority and $50 every decade is a bridge too far, then maybe reduce consumption elsewhere to offset the fee. Also, people spending hundreds or thousands in equipment bitching about $5/year is sadly amusing.

Chris

KR3DX, K2WPM, K0PV/SK2023 and 9 others like this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Has it been about numbers all along? The quantity versus quality issue. The amount of operating would be about the same it's the inflated numbers that would take a hit.

I'm not into proposing violations of the rules and regulations as some seem happy to promote. Might that have to do with some of them having operated in an often lawless radio operating environment?

W5ESE, WQ4G and WA5VGO like this.
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So every ten years we would pay $50 to renew - that’s $5 a year and in line with 1970s fees in real dollars as N2EY points out. That’s peanuts!

If WE who use the service aren’t willing to pay $5 a year for it, then what will everyone else think it’s worth? Zero.

If we don’t pay for what it costs the FCC to perform the routine administration of our service, then they will be even less interested in making any regulation changes for us, and certainly won’t be eager to improve costly services such as enforcement. I would gladly pay $50 a year if it would buy better enforcement.

Like it or not, fee for service is the way of the world and much of government now. We need to be paying customers. Otherwise the FCC and the communications industry will have one more reason to view hams as a bunch of freeloaders who aren’t using the frequencies allocated to them and aren’t helping to train people with technical skills for society - when they think of us at all.

KD2SHN, KR3DX, K2WPM and 10 others like this.
  4. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I remember when cable used to be $12 a month so... $5 a year for a renewal, I can do that. "PROPOSES" is the key word. Carry on.

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Even with inflation adjustment, the comparison does not apply--for young people in general.

There is no Novice (free back then), and they want to charge $50 for a a Tech .

If I had a young person at home now, I would debate whether I, as a parent, should cough up $50 bucks to start.

Let's say that young person wanted a guitar for example. If they crashed on that aspiration, the guitar could be put on EBay and most of the cost recovered.

If it costs $50 to 'try out ham radio', that's a sunk cost at an undefined risk.

WA3KPI and N6ATF like this.
  6. K8MGA

K8MGA Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree, it was found illegal each time they try this. So. accept the gratuity and leave well enough alone. Been a ham for over 50 years and still have not accepted the unfairness of the ever famous alleged incentive licensing by not grandfathering in the Advanced Class??? It would be better off to quit tampering with the hobby with licensing changes. As Mark Twain said, "If it works don't fix it !"

K0PV/SK2023 and KG7HVR like this.
  7. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anybody actually oppose a $50 fee on vanity calls?

KD2SHN, KD4PI and KE4ITL like this.
  8. M6ENP

M6ENP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

from my point
    of view as a UK operator when i gained my full license i was entitled to a M0 callsign free of charge, but i had the option @ that time to apply for a previously unissued short callsign, as ofcom (the licensing body) were selling off previously unissued callsigns, after much to and froing ,mainly due to the body who administer the licenses on behalf of OFCOM, for the grand sum of £20 about $26:43 at todays rate i received my callsign of G2KS ,for which i have to validate online once every 5 years at no cost, and i was also issued when i got my full license a HAREC certificate , bonus i was more than happy to pay my£20 for my call as it reads Give 2 Kevins Station, or as my friend in Slovenia (Andreja S56B) puts it G2 Kevin Smurf, but to be honest $50 is a bit steep even for a short callsign, ho hum maybee the FCC are going to use the money raised to help with broadband provisions of over 500 mbps :)

KG7HVR likes this.
  9. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What "Administration"? The President of the USA or the Chairman of the FCC?

Appointed by President Obama, the current chairman of the FCC, Ajit Pai was influential in putting the dagger into Net Neutrality. Ajit, also under Obama eliminated the CATV free choice bill, which was pro-consumer...

Now he's spearheading a new "tax" on Radio Amateurs.

Liberals really forget where they came from, don't they...

AND I'M AN INDEPENDENT VOTER!

K0PV/SK2023, KG6NTE, KG7HVR and 2 others like this.
  10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I see that the fee schedule has a $50 fee for "modification", in addition to new licenses. So, if upgrading is considered a "modification" (and at least it's listed as "modification" in ULS when you upgrade) you're actually in for $150 to get to Extra. Not clear what happens if you pass all three classes in one session.

Address change? That also is a "modification". There's another $50, each time you move.

11. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You are right but it may be time to change that that My Belize V31KW is for the operator just like my 1st Phone was was for the operator
    in the Old day we all had to pay a fee anyway

K8PG likes this.
  12. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

$5 a year is a budget buster? Really?

K2WPM and K0UO like this.
  13. KD7YVV

KD7YVV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think $5/yr is unreasonable. However the cost to process that $5/yr, every year would be more expensive to the FCC.
    I think that's why $50/10 yrs was proposed. Process once, and forget about it for 10 years.
    I take it this is in addition to the fees charged by the VEC's who administer the test?
    Yes, there are hams who spend upwards of thousands of dollars for their stations.
    On the flip side, there is the budget ham (like me) who saves a little each month to buy a
    radio on E-Bay. The TS-430 I own was given to me by my late uncle in law who was not a ham,
    but enjoyed listening to hams and shortwave stations around the world.
    He used an old car battery that he would charge and then hook that to the radio.
    I was fortunate in the fact that the radio was given to me.
    That 430 sat for 4 months until I could afford a power supply able to feed the radio what it needed.
    Then I was the one listening until I could afford an antenna tuner. For me, $50 to renew would be a
    bit of a hit in the billfold, but I guess it's one more thing I should save for and plan for,
    This is why a lot of hams buy secondhand equipment. While it is nice to have the latest stuff,
    there's something to be said for secondhand equipment. If it works and is in good condition, why not?
    While the $50 fee may seem high, it CAN be saved for. Am I for it? No. Most things are online these
    days, and the online license renewal only requires someone at the FCC to confirm it right?
    I hope it doesn't go through. With the COVID 19 pandemic going on, $50 is a bit of a stretch right now.

--KD7YVV

KE4ITL, W5ESE, KG7HVR and 1 other person like this.
  14. KC1NY

KC1NY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course $50/decade is not a budget buster or even of much consequence for most people. However, just what is it for? Most licenses that I have to renew (driver, fishing, hunting, CCW) have fees that are in essence a tax which is paid to the state. Why are we being taxed by the government?

KG7HVR, N6ATF and N2EY like this.
  15. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

I doubt they will get enough money from this new fee schedule fiasco to pay for another mile of a mythical wall or a lawyer for Steve Bannon.

It's way past the time for the individual states to Succeed from this cluster mess thing that we call a union.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.