ad: HamHats-1

Arnold Spielberg, radio amateur, father of famous filmmaker, SK

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Aug 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

There are many obits now being written on the recent passing of Arnold Spielberg, the father of Steven, a huge celebrity in cinema. Most of these report the fact that Arnold had his own quite significant career in electronic engineering, and he credits that to being a radio amateur, formerly W8IDX and W9AUM. His daughter Sue specifically mentions inspiration from involvement in amateur radio. Hope you appreciate the story too.

Arnold Spielberg, father of Steven Spielberg, dies at 103

[​IMG]

LOS ANGELES — Arnold Spielberg, father of acclaimed film director Steven Spielberg, died of natural causes Tuesday at the age of 103, his family announced.

Arnold Spielberg, a pioneering computer designer, helped design General Electric’s GE-225 mainframe computer, enabling researchers at Dartmouth College to develop the coding tool known as BASIC that paved the way for personal computers, The Hollywood Reporter reported.

“When I see a PlayStation, when I look at a cell phone — from the smallest calculator to an iPad — I look at my dad and I say, ‘My dad and a team of geniuses started that,’” Steven Spielberg said, Variety reported.

According to the outlet, the elder Spielberg was born Feb. 6, 1917, in Cincinnati, Ohio. By the age of 6, he turned his family’s attic into a makeshift lab to create inventions. He received his first ham radio at 12, opening the door “to a lifetime of sharing stories with strangers over the airwaves.”

Sue Spielberg, one of Arnold Spielberg’s three daughters, said that radio connected her father to the world and changed his entire perspective.

“He made friends over the radio. He heard from people he never knew existed. He connected with strangers, and this affability is something he carried over into real life, often befriending another person in line at Starbucks or the table next to him,” Sue Spielberg told Variety.

Read more about Arnold Spielberg’s career and his influence on his children’s professional pursuits
    here.

Below are additional links to more detailed information on Arnold Spielbergs life, career, and amateur radio activities.

An excerpt from University of Cincinnati's Computing History blog - The grandfather of ET and the father of the modern Point-of-Sale system

Arnold was also a ham radio operator (call sign of W8IDX) using a system he had built himself. He was more interested in electronics than working at his cousins’ department store. He had to change his call sign while living in Kentucky to W9AUM (Always Under Modulated). He also built a phone transmitter during that time. He learned the department store business which paid later in his life. He went from stock-boy to assistant manager. In 1940 he was transferred to a store in Richmond, KY where he served as a co-manager. He learned a lot about managing a business, skills that would serve him well later in life.

An interview by GE with Arnold Spielberg at age 100.

There are more if you search, Google is your friend.

73, John, WØPV

VU2EXP, NA4RA, KB0NMQ and 17 others like this.
  2. VE4MM

VE4MM Ham Member QRZ Page

Who knew?

Cool story.

Bummer son Steven did not become an Engineer.

I suppose he still did OK without an Engineering degree.

KB9T, W0VTT, KF5KWO and 3 others like this.
  3. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

R.I.P. Arnold you had quite a good run ! I did not know you were a Ham 73 to all of your family from Phil KI6PMD..

N2GQ and KB9T like this.
  4. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

THANK YOU W0PV,

arnold spielberg.jpg
    ========== arnold spielberg MILITARY.jpg
    =================================== 1 animated Flag QRZ PAGE[1].gif
    ================================== A FINAL SALUTE NEW[1].jpg
    ============== A SILENT KEY REST IN PEACE BLANK  NEW[1].jpg

RESPECTFULLY,

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    AD5IN, W3KW, KB9T and 3 others like this.
  5. WZ1P

WZ1P Ham Member QRZ Page

What a great dad. A man that was both curious and talented in many technical fields. Steven is a 'chip off the old block' and went on to great accomplishments. My sincere condolences to his family and my prayers are with him. May God grant him peace.

73, my fellow ham.
    Danny WZ1P

NA4RA, WK0DX, DG2FAJ and 3 others like this.
  6. KC0KEK

KC0KEK Ham Member QRZ Page

Great story! I didn't know he was a ham. Thanks for sharing.

CX3ADF and K3XR like this.
  7. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

What a fantastic role model for a father. I bet that in turn he was very proud of all his children.

8. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

May he Rest in Peace x

9. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Aloha Oe
    G3SEA/KH6

10. R4CFG

R4CFG Ham Member QRZ Page

Покойся с миром.

IZ0IRH likes this.
  11. SV1SLB

SV1SLB Ham Member QRZ Page

R.I.P

12. KD6LOQ

KD6LOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

What an incredible life! Great story. Talk about contributions that changed the world (including a son that changed the world of cinema). They must have been so proud of each other. My condolences to the family. 73 de KD6LOQ

2E0TWD likes this.
  13. AA6IO

AA6IO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great story. I also did not know that he was an amateur radio operator. He had a nice life and now time to RIP.
    Steve AA6IO

14. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I will salute anyone that served in a time of war. Well done, sir.

15. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

A very interesting story into the mans life. May he rest in peace. With respect from John - G0WXU.

KC0KEK likes this.