ad: Radclub22-1

Louis Roux, W6UR (W6GRR) SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K0GWA, Aug 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K0GWA

K0GWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Learned today that an old friend and mentor passed away recently. Louis Roux, W6UR ex W6GRR passed away over the past few days. Long time member of the Kern Country Radio Club. Hosted Field Day for many years at his cabin on Greenhorn mountain. Lou was an ace CW operator and was an communications officer in the army. He was an amateur operator for 73 years.

Rest in Peace my old friend.

Gary (ex-WB6JZS)
    K0GWA

2. KY6L

KY6L Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh no! I can’t count the number of times I manned a Field Day station with Lou and his family and friends. That was some of the best hamming, and the best laughs I’ve ever had in my ham career. My family was privileged to know Lou and his family (I worked with his brother) and we send our prayers and condolences to them. I miss Lou already, but I can smile just thinking about working CW and drinking wine coolers late into the night.
    RIP Lou. 73! See you on the other side.
    Steve Ball KY6L
    Lompoc Ca.

K0GWA likes this.
  3. K0GWA

K0GWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have many of the same memories, Lou at the key with a glass of wine and pounding out the field day contacts in the 70's. I knew his dad, Ernie as well and daughter Patti. Sadly I haven't been back to Bakersfield in a few years. I always gave him a call when I was there.

KY6L likes this.
  4. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Louis A. Roux, W6UR SK

NAQCC Number: 1607

Louis August Roux
    JULY 26, 1934 – AUGUST 17, 2020

Louis Roux was born on July 26, 1934 in Bakersfield, California to Angel and Ernest Roux. Lou passed away peacefully in the care of the staff at Brookdale Riverwalk on Monday, August 17, 2020.
    Lou attended Williams Elementary, Washington Jr. High, East Bakersfield High, and Bakersfield College. In jr. high, high school, and college he was a drummer in their marching bands.

At the age of thirteen (1947), Dad received his Amateur Radio License with the call letters W6GRR which was changed to W6UR when he received his advanced license. For 73 years he was an active Ham Operator being one of the oldest and longest members in Kern County. Dad served in the United States Army from 1957 until 1963. Stationed in Okinawa, he was a radio man for the General. His exceptional Morse code skills and speed were to be admired. He worked for his father at Roux 34th St. Furniture, Witham's selling electronics, Montgomery Ward, Sears Roebuck, and retired from Jost Tile and Flooring. Dad's most fun getaway destination was at the family cabin on Greenhorn Mountain. We have so many fun memories from weekends at the cabin.

To carry on Dad's legacy and memory are his children Diana Marroquin, Patty Langston (Skip), John Roux (Missy), Lou Ann Roux, Debbie Taliaferro (Jimmie), daughter-in-law Peggy McLane, brothers Dennis (Stephanie) and Richard Roux, grandchildren Richard Roux II (Margaret), Scott Roux (Trina), Mark Marroquin (Shelli), Michael Marroquin, Christopher Marroquin (Austin), Ryan Roux, Sarah Roux (Michael Palladino), Kyle Roux, A.J. Gibson (Crystal), Louis Chavez, Jimmie Taliaferro III, Natalia Taliaferro, Mariana Roux, fourteen great-grandchildren, "adopted" daughters Toni Henry (Ron) and Esther Archuleta (Bryan), and dearest friends Reggie Mackey Sr. and Terry Godley.

Dad was preceded in death by the love of his life, his wife of 56 years, Zelma E. Roux, sister Yvonne Roux, son Michael McLane, grandson Dominic Chavez, sons-in-law Mike Marroquin and Tim Garcia, and sister-in-law Marlene Roux.

A special "Thank You" to the wonderful nurses, CNA's, and all the staff at Brookdale Riverwalk who took care of our dad. We will always be grateful for the love and care you gave to Dad and his family.
    https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/bakersfield-ca/louis-roux-9314830

K0GWA and KY6L like this.
  5. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

THANK YOU - K0GWA

W6UR OBIT.jpg
    ====================== 1 animated Flag QRZ PAGE.gif
    ================================ Vietnam_Service_Medal,_obverse.jpg
    ================================.==VIETNAM ERA

========================= A FINAL SALUTE NEW.jpg
    ====================== ARRL FLAG.jpg
    ======================= W6UR QRP.jpg
    ================.====== W6UR SILENT KEY.jpg