ad: elecraft

Richard L. Measures, AG6K SK January 4, 2018 Age 76

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K2HAT, Mar 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Richard L. Measures, AG6K SK

[​IMG]

Richard Lloyd Measures passed away January 4, 2018, at home In Somis, California, at the age of 76 after a lengthy illness related to diabetes.

Richard was born on February 26, 1941, in Seagraves, Texas, to Lloyd and Lois Measures. Shortly thereafter the family moved to Ventura County, California, where he was a resident for the remainder of his life. Richard graduated from Oxnard High School and attended college in San Luis Obispo studying electronics. He married Susan Prater in 1976.

Rich worked at Raytheon and then Mugu Naval Base with an early retirement due to diabetes complications. Richard rode his bicycle to Mugu every day. He also bicycle raced and helped his friends work on their bicycles. He was very giving of his time to help others. His other passion was amateur radio. When he was 16, he got his license, AG6K, and started building radios. This continued for the rest of his life. Being in the field of electronics, he was very knowledgeable and able to help hams around the world with questions about their radios. He had articles published in QST, a ham radio magazine.

Richard is survived by his wife Susan Prater Measures, a sister Mary Measures and a brother James Measures. His parents, Lloyd and Lois Crawford Measures predeceased him as well as a sister Martha Measures Dana.

The Beatles "In My Life, I Love You More" says it all.

The family will have a private celebration of Richard's life.
    Published in Ventura County Star from Mar. 17 to Mar. 18, 2018
    https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/v...y.aspx?n=richard-lloyd-measures&pid=188476639

2. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Very sad news. He will be missed. I learned a lot from Dick. He would always answer tech questions when I emailed him.
    He was a wealth of knowledge.
    Barry G. Kery, KU3X

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sometimes controversial, but he always led a lively conversation that made me think and study. He had posted that poor vision limited his ability to participate and work on radios in recent years. So long!

Link to Rich's web pages for those interested before they disappear into the mists of the web...

http://www.somis.org/

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Rich's Bibliography from ARRL:

K1LKP, W2VW and WD4DXQ like this.
  5. N1UZI

N1UZI Ham Member QRZ Page

He will be sadly missed. He took the time to explain several things to me back in the 90s.

Rest in peace Richard!

6. K8JA

K8JA Ham Member QRZ Page

Read Rich Measures Numerous Articles Dozens of Times For Accurate Reference On Electronic Related Info ..
    Thanks Rich Measures ... R.I.P.

Jack K8JA

7. KG7HVR

KG7HVR Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

Read several of his articles over the years. You kinda think these guys live forever, your so used to reading them. Before I was a ham I stopped by Henry radio in Butler, Mo on my way back from Kansas City. I am glad I did, Talked with Bob Henry for about an hour on power supply's on their amplifiers. I look back now and realize that was real radio history, like shaking the hand of the president. You don't realize the significant's of your encounter at the time.

W1BR, WA7PRC and K2HAT like this.
  9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I recall being in the autograph line for Top Fuel racer Don Garlits. I just wanted to shake his hand. I might've eventually lost his autograph but, I'll always remember meeting him.

Rich and I didn't share the same view on everything but, my memory of him is as a gentleman. RIP Rich AG6K.

NL7W and K2HAT like this.
  10. K2HAT

I got to meet Mr Don Garlits and shake his hand earlier this year, very nice Gentleman.
    I was at his Museum outside Ocala FL and was in the right place at the right moment.

WA7PRC likes this.
  11. WB5HDF

WB5HDF Ham Member QRZ Page

Summer 1958 Radio Amateur Callbook magazine shows Richard L. Measures as K6OKC, Oxnard, California.

12. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

While I saw him race a few times I never went for an autograph but have since been to his museum.

Howsumever I did get a nice autograph and handshake from The Intimidator in 1979 at Riverside CA when he won Rookie Of The Year.

Ive been a "circle" track fan since my first race at Freeport NY in 1958. Always a driver and not an owner on several tracks in the East and Midwest. I did it strictly for fun and quit when I turned 60 but ran Nostalgia drags until 75.

13. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Rich was one of the combatants on the 40 meter war zone during the 1980s and 1990s but was always a fount of knowledge. Great to talk to and very insightful.

14. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

AG6K was not available to U.S. amateurs - at least in the continental U.S. - in 1958, which is when Measures was that age.

15. K2HAT

WN1MB likes this.